• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

371 MB update

M

Member2047631

I've got an available update (it has an extremely long name and I couldn't find anything about it online) and it says the update size is 371 MB, so I'm guessing it's not Oreo, I would guess it's probably the security update. But does this slow down my tablet? Because I know upgrading from stock version isn't a good idea as it does slow down your tablet. But if it's a security update does it?

Did you update to the security patch? And if so did it affect performance? And should I update?

I don't have the same model. Mine is an older Samsung Note 10.1, but always ALWAYS keep my devices patched to the current security level. Too many bad guys out there to risk it, even if it does impact performance (which it doesn't)

Upvote 0
A security update is protection against known exploits, but which explots this particular update for this particular device protects against I can't say. The ChangeLog for the update should tell you what is in it, if the software updates page shows you that.

I've always applied any security update that's issued to any of my devices. But I should add that it's not my experience that stock system updates always slow devices down either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones