1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 67 kbs download speed is that the norm?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jyoder1998, Aug 26, 2011.

1. jyoder1998

jyoder1998 Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2011
    I have a stock optimus s .non rooted no extra apps except speed test.I am getting 67 kbs download speed at best .It does not matter if I'm at my house or right underneath the tower.Is this the norm or can I do better by changing things up?

Advertisement

2. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    On my stock Optimus S, I get ~300kbps with a weak 3G signal, and ~1.5Mbps with a strong 3G signal. With a 1G signal I get a really slow connection-- probably on the order of 50k-100kbps.

I use DSL Reports for speed tests. iPhone speedtest

Are you getting a strong 3G signal? (i.e. Does the status bar at the top provide the 3G icon and are you getting 4-5 bars?) Is there a triangle at in the top status bar indicating roaming?

One interesting debugging task that you could perform would be to connect to a fast Internet connection via WiFi, and run the the DSL Reports speedtest over WiFi, instead of running it over 3G. If you get a fast WiFi download speed then it would indicate that the problem is on the 3G side (either with Sprint's 3G service to the nearby cell tower or the phone's ability to receive & process data). In that case you may want to try a 3G-based speed test from a different cell tower with a strong signal. If you don't get a fast WiFi download speed then it would indicate a more general problem with the phone, like the memory or CPU.