• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 985hPaKicK 2nd init recovery

I don't know, just searched something along the lines of cwm flash zip (this was about a month ago that I downloaded it). I attached it, of course I changed the name after I downloaded it.
Also, can someone post pictures of all the steps to restore from our recovery? Also, volume down + power to get into it, correct? Going to attempt it blind, just in case.

Also, the reason I flashed it was because I didn't think the apk was permanent, thought it was temporary.

The update zip file you flashed contains this line in the install script

[HIGH]package_extract_file("recoveryblob", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p4");[/HIGH]you overwrote your bootloader (sbl3)

your phone is done, you have to send it to LG for repair

never flash another phones zip file, to a phone it is not intended for

Upvote 0
So the first apk posted by op works right? But the restore doesnt actually restored yet just asking before attempting to install

It works, look:

I successfully made a nandroid backup, did a factory reset, reinstalled recovery, and successfully did a nandroid restore.

It works!! At least with that part.
Oh yeah, also cleared dalvik cache

Upvote 0

why should it ?

for an unlocked boot loader we need to flash a new aboot file, either from another LG phone that is un-locked and compatible with our phone, or an aboot that LG releases to us, either by putting pressure on them or on Metro

This new 2nd init recovery is going to help start the development of custom roms and themes get rolling along

For source built ROMs like CM10 / AOSP I strongly suggest we look to see what 985hPaKicK has done, and try to mimick him, or try to get him on our team and develope for us, that is why I suggested that someone make a thank you thread for him

I also think we should donate a Motion to Shabby and 985hPaKicK if you guys want to see some really kick arse ROMs

Upvote 0
why should it ?

for an unlocked boot loader we need to flash a new aboot file, either from another LG phone that is un-locked and compatible with our phone, or an aboot that LG releases to us, either by putting pressure on them or on Metro

This new 2nd init recovery is going to help start the development of custom roms and themes get rolling along

For source built ROMs like CM10 / AOSP I strongly suggest we look to see what 985hPaKicK has done, and try to mimick him, or try to get him on our team and develope for us, that is why I suggested that someone make a thank you thread for him

I also think we should donate a Motion to Shabby and 985hPaKicK if you guys want to see some really kick arse ROMs

Can't second init also be used to take control of normal boot? The only problem is all ROM's would have to be packaged as an apk including a 2nd-init installer, but I still think it would work.

Upvote 0
why should it ?

i think this is a bad idea :p

only reason i was going to buy a motion was cuz it was the affordable choice coming to metro, since i got a sgs3 from the sgs3 community. which means all proceeds of my sprint phones can go towards buying my wife a sgs3. since you guys have cwm now there is no reason for me to bother.

your best shot at cm is 2nd-init/kexec and booting the kernel/rom off sdcard :)

Upvote 0
Booting a Rom from sd card? That's a new one for me. And wouldn't that take longer to load??

depends on sdcard speed. but if you had to choose from never having an unlocked bootloader with nothing, or booting from sdcard and having it run slightly slower.. id personally go buy a high end card (you can get a 32GB micro sdcard that has read speeds of over 30MBps for 25 bucks on amazon) and experience no lag :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones