• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A couple S8+ Issues

Habanero

Jan 3, 2014
Hello,
I received the Samsug Galaxy S8+ (Sprint) on Wednesday. I am switching from a Galaxy Note 3. I have been going through and setting up the S8+. The Android 7 is quite a bit different from the Android 5 that’s on the Note 3. It is a more powerful operating system!

But I’ve noticed a couple things that might be concerning. When I went to bed last night, I put the phone on vibrate and plugged it in to charge it. I woke up early this morning and noticed the phone screen was on. The phone was pretty warm (in a case also) so the screen had been on for quite a while. I started trying to figure out what caused this. I noticed that if I turn the phone on and let the lock screen time out, it goes to a screen saver type screen. It looks like a rainbow of colors slowly moving around the screen. I also notice this screen for a split second when I first turn on the phone before the lock screen comes up. I have seen nothing in the settings app that relates to a screen saver type setting? That screen will stay on indefinitely until I touch it. Then the phone opens up to whatever screen you left before it went off. Also, if I have the phone on and let the screen time out, it will go to this “screen saver” screen and never go off. This only happens when the charger cord is plugged into the phone. So if I happen to get a call when it’s charging, it will end up at the “screen saver” and never go off. I have also noticed that something else is causing the phone to turn on while it’s plugged in. It’s not text messages and I don’t think it’s e-mail. But I’ve noticed it on a couple times when nobody has called. So something isn’t right with this unless I’m missing something?

Also, the “Accessibility Shortcut” feature does not work. I have it enabled and followed the instructions given in the setting but to no avail. So unless those instructions are wrong, it doesn’t work. They don’t seem right because the first step is to hold the power button down until you hear a sound. Then proceed to step 2. Yeah, you hear a sound but it’s just the menu coming up that allows you to restart, power off, etc. So something doesn’t seem right here also. I want to use this function.

Also, I’m wondering if Samsung is going to release a “negative colors” widget like is on every other Galaxy phone? There currently is none showing in the Galaxy Apps and the one I moved over from my Note 3 does not work on the S8+.

Samsung also told me that S Voice would be on the phone since Bixby Voice isn’t on it yet. But it’s not there.

Anyway, I do like the phone better than my Note 3 and want to keep it if these few things can be worked out soon. I can’t have the phone’s screen staying on all night as I don’t think it’s good for the battery. Plus the phone was quite warm. I have another 10 days or so to return it so I’m hoping I can at least get the screen thing figured out very, very soon. Reluctantly, I’ll have to return it if I can’t.

Thanks.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones