• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A new newbie

Hello! I am a backpacker, and have been traveling the world for 3 years, starting 4 just in a week or two.

I carry a netbook, IPOD (classic), and a chinese mp4 player, camera, external drive (2), and a cd external drive, and of course, cel phone. I guess you wonder why all the stuff, well, I guess I do too. I am trying to consolidate, and would love to unload the netbook, etc. I have a bunch of movies and learning languages on the external hard drives (also my backups), and bought the external cd drive because I bought some chinese learning cds and couldn't copy them, just had to get a drive to install. And I run amok with SDs, memory sticks, etc.

Most of the time, wifi is available in the hostel/hotel, but sometimes I am forced to go to the internet cafe to check email, etc. I have the ipod for audio books and movies for the long bus/train trips, and also for watching stuff at night in bed, since I never have tv available. I use the Chinese mp4 player on the bus to watch my mp4 movies, so I don't expose my jillion dollar IPOD, if you know what I mean. The phone is simple: just a SIM card, no carrier to worry with. Just change SIM cards every country, more or less.

So, yesterday, I bought yet another electronic device, hoping that I could start to unload some of the other hardware. Or at least keep my netbook in my locker (the galaxy cost more than the netbook!) and just use the smaller devices, I can stick the mp4 player and galaxy tab in my bag, and walk around now, and not even bother with my camera. And speaking of walking, love the GPS! Now, how to load China maps!

So, I am not totally illerate in the tech world, but this is a new animal to me (like the IPOD, in year 0), and I need some lessons quick. So, hanging on the web, reading all I can, and practicing with the new toy.

I am in Thailand right now, and when I bought my newest toy, the lady there was very helpful, but VERY quick. She plucked the SIM card (carrier: HAPPY, no contract, just feed it periodically) out of my phone and stuck it in the Tab. Then, she plucked out the micro SD card from my chinese mp4 player, and stuck that in. Then, downloaded a BUNCH of apps and copied movies and songs to the Tab. This AM my friends called, and damned if the calls didn't come over the Tab. I was astonished, frankly. I still don't know how to call out, but that will come. (the Tab is portable, but still not the form fit of a cel phone, if you know what I mean!). Probably will take the sim out and restore it back into the cel phone, and just use skype on the Tab.

So, I am trying to muddle thru all of this; the final destination becoming a real "cloud" person, except the broadband isn't so broad here in SE asia. I want to upload my thousands of photos from around the world, but seems an impossible task because of the speed. Not. I want to sell the IPOD, keep the mp4 player, and get rid of external drives, all of them. A big task.

and so it goes.

So that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Jackie, the Globetrotter

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones