• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Newly Purchased Eris

carmendiva

Android Expert
Feb 11, 2010
New Yor
I'm starting to possibly second guess my comment about the eris not being a popular phone because I never see anybody with it. Because it seems a lot of people are beginning to pop up with the device

Fed-ex(which is kind of surprising since it's early) dropped this guy phone off and he got an eris and he is from San Fran.

He wants a San Fran number but we are in Pennsylvania and he is worried would there be signal issues because one of our mutual friends were saying he should just get a PA number because it's going to try to activate the phone based on towers in San fran therefore it's going to have to shoot/pull a signal from PA, send to San Fran, and Shoot/Pull to PA everytime he does something which would potentially cause lag and most of us know the eris does not need anymore lag than it already has....

So i told him give me like a few hours and I'll come here and ask you guys.

Is it safe to activate his phone with a Cali number even if he is in PA or would he experience a lag in SMS, phone calls due to it having to pull a signal from 3,000 miles away.

I wasn't sure because people travel all over the country all the time and it wouldn't make sense for my cell to pull a signal from my home in Alaska if im in florida but i don't want to tell him anything wrong.

Shouldnt be a problem. I've activated phones with MI numbers in Ohio and South Carolina numerous times, and SC #'s up here and any combination with some Indiana thrown in too ;) As long as your on a Native Verizon tower and not a roaming partner (which is unlikely unless your deep in the sticks) he'll be fine.

Thanks hon :)

he just took the plunge five mins ago and is in the process of activating it!!!

Upvote 0
well it's safe to say, his California(West coast number) is working fine with no delays in receiving calls or text and works just like my New jersey number :)

However...now he is not happy at all with the eris.

He has some issues that I really do not wanna deal with myself so i'm pawning him off on you guys :)

BTW, He is a big baby in a 20 years olds body aka a typical frat boy :)

Upvote 0
Yeah that makes no sense about they keyboard. I know everyone will flame me for this, but the iphone has the best touchcreen keyboard out there. I have an ipod touch and i can type way faster than on my eris (using either the stock keyboard or swype, both are a bit laggy imho, but nothing too bad) I have a case on my eris which also makes it hard for me to hit the P key.

Upvote 0
Yeah that makes no sense about they keyboard. I know everyone will flame me for this, but the iphone has the best touchcreen keyboard out there. I have an ipod touch and i can type way faster than on my eris (using either the stock keyboard or swype, both are a bit laggy imho, but nothing too bad) I have a case on my eris which also makes it hard for me to hit the P key.

I don't pay much attention to morons like him who are failing every class, including volleyball lolz :)

He's just funny that's all haha

But as far as the iphone keyboard, i do agree with you there. It does have the best virtual keyboard around.
I love it on my itouch...i type so slow on my htc

I used to could send about 10-15 emails with my old itouch
and now im down to 5 per minute on the eris....

Upvote 0
I don't pay much attention to morons like him who are failing every class, including volleyball lolz :)

He's just funny that's all haha

But as far as the iphone keyboard, i do agree with you there. It does have the best virtual keyboard around.
I love it on my itouch...i type so slow on my htc

I used to could send about 10-15 emails with my old itouch
and now im down to 5 per minute on the eris....

10-15 E-mails in a minute! You must be a very important business executive, or just really have to update that Facebook status.:D

Upvote 0
10-15 E-mails in a minute! You must be a very important business executive, or just really have to update that Facebook status.:D

lol im only 17 so no business exec here...check back in about 10 years,
I'll have 3 or 4 psychology offices around for therapy(as many people who divorce...i'll be rich haha lol)

and i actually had to stop myself from updating my facebook status all the time haha....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones