• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A real Wifi puzzle

davidbod

Lurker
Aug 8, 2011
Currently I have this situation on my Wildfire S:
- Phone can find my Wifi
- I can connect to the Wifi
- But if I use the internet, the page doesn't load at all. :(

Givens:
- The Wildfire can find my Wifi and connect to it, and stays connected.
- The router gives the phone an IP address and says the connection is "Active".
- All other devices in the house connect to the router fine.
- A previous Wildfire S I had (which got damaged) worked with my router ok. This phone is a replacement.
- There is no IP conflict.
- There is no setting on the router that is blocking the phone connection.
- If I disable Wifi, internet works fine through 3G.

Things I've tried:
- Turned the router on and off.
- 'Forgot' the wifi connection and reconnected.
- Factory reset.
- Sat next to the router.
- Changing wifi channel (including low numbers).
- Tried the password on WPA, WEP and Open settings.
- Checked the Internet APN is correct.
- Tried 802.11b/g to b and g settings only.

I'm using Android 2.3.3; HTC Sense 2.1

Very grateful for ideas. If suggesting a technical fix, some instructions or a link would be appreciated also. :D

Is it any WiFi connection or only your home router?

Can you get data over this wifi connection other than through the browser? Can you browse the market or check weather? Load maps? If any of these work, but the brwoser still won't load pages you might try going to menu>settings>applications>manage applications, tap on the 'all' tab and find the browser, clear cache and data, then try again (I'm not sure, but this may clear history and bookmarks too.)

Upvote 0
I had this problem the other day when my wife got a Wildfire S.

All other phones and laptops we have connect to the internet fine with no problems but although the Wildfire says it is connected the internet doesn't work the same as you.

I fixed this by adding static IP address details into the phone (in the Menu\Advanced settings WiFi page).

I had no idea what numbers to enter but I spoke to my internet provider and they gave me all the numbers to enter and it now works so I suggest explaining the problem to your internet provider and ask them what static IP information you need to enter on the phone.

Upvote 0
Currently I have this situation on my Wildfire S:
- Phone can find my Wifi
- I can connect to the Wifi
- But if I use the internet, the page doesn't load at all. :(

Givens:
- The Wildfire can find my Wifi and connect to it, and stays connected.
- The router gives the phone an IP address and says the connection is "Active".
- All other devices in the house connect to the router fine.
- A previous Wildfire S I had (which got damaged) worked with my router ok. This phone is a replacement.
- There is no IP conflict.
- There is no setting on the router that is blocking the phone connection.
- If I disable Wifi, internet works fine through 3G.

Things I've tried:
- Turned the router on and off.
- 'Forgot' the wifi connection and reconnected.
- Factory reset.
- Sat next to the router.
- Changing wifi channel (including low numbers).
- Tried the password on WPA, WEP and Open settings.
- Checked the Internet APN is correct.
- Tried 802.11b/g to b and g settings only.

I'm using Android 2.3.3; HTC Sense 2.1

Very grateful for ideas. If suggesting a technical fix, some instructions or a link would be appreciated also. :D

I had a similar situation the other day when my girlfriend's phone would not connect wirelessly through the router..

I had OpenDNS installed into the router and removing it, and placing the alternative DNS address into the W764 IPv4 allowed her to connect.

Some routers also have a limited ammount of wireless devices, I used to own one that only allowed four devices to be used and when we introduced a fifth (iphone..) it could not connect until I had cleared one of the other allowed devices.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
In reply:

>Is it any WiFi connection or only your home router?

Only my router, it seems. I tried it at a shopping centre and was able to log in to their free wi-fi no problem.

>Can you get data over this wifi connection other than through the browser?

No, none.

>Can you browse the market or check weather? Load maps?

No.

I've reset the entire phone before, so I don't think it's a cache problem.

Maybe fixed DNS will work, but (a) I'm not sure how to do that, and (b) besides, a previous Wildfire S I've owned worked fine with this router.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones