• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About Battery Life ***Please read***

Yawa

Dec 10, 2010
Melrose, MA
It is no secret the battery life on the Nexus is pretty awful. Even with the extended battery we can only hope to get a good 5 hours or so at a time.

That being said I've got an interesting story to share that happened over the last few days...

My battery life had always been awful, even the extended battery only helped marginally. I am rooted of course with a nice undervolted kernel as well. The other day my USB port started acting temperamental and wouldn't always charge the phone without some fiddling.

The next day it failed altogether. Frustrated, I took the phone apart to assess the damage, and found the port had melted into itself. No biggie easy repair, I'll buy a spare battery and wall charge till the internal flex port replacement arrives ( only $8.95 BTW).

In the meantime I removed the melted port.

Funny thing is, since then my battery life has been great. I think the way it had melted had kept it in a state of always thinking it was plugged in.

So if your nexus battery life has degraded substantially over time do yourself a favor and check the USB port. The USB on these phones are flimsy as it and lots of repair stories exist, but it may just be the reason your phone is losing battery at a horrifying rate.

I know this may be a niche problem, but I hope this helps someone in the long run.

Battery life is heavily dependent on usage. So with that said, there haven't been too many time when I've been stuck with less than 12-18hrs on battery.

But I'll also stand by the comment that if your usage patterns are so high as to cause only getting 5hrs out of an extended battery, and even with an undervolt kernal, than there's not too many other phones out there that will do much better.

Upvote 0
Battery life is heavily dependent on usage. So with that said, there haven't been too many time when I've been stuck with less than 12-18hrs on battery.

But I'll also stand by the comment that if your usage patterns are so high as to cause only getting 5hrs out of an extended battery, and even with an undervolt kernal, than there's not too many other phones out there that will do much better.

^This. I also get 12-18hrs on battery. I don't use the Samsung one, I got an extended one that fits with the stock battery cover. It's a 2200 mAh. Very happy with it.

Upvote 0
Is it possible the external battery charger is doing a better job than the phone? I say this because I've noticed strange battery life depending on how I charge the phone. I use the standard 1A plug most of the time and get a good 12-14 hours of moderate/semi-heavy use out of my Seidio 3800mah. I noticed that if I use my Nexus 7 charger (2.1A) it will charge faster but will discharge at a crazy fast rate. Basically it seems it's showing more charge than there really is.

I noticed a similar thing with my EVO. If I charged the battery in an external charger it seem to be a better charge. Sounds crazy but I can assure you this was the case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones