• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding Contacts Via Phone

lexluthor

Android Expert
May 15, 2010
When adding contacts via the phone, is there any way to add them to the google contacts only as opposed to phone contacts?

I don't see where it gives me a choice and it looks like it just adds them to both and creates a linked contact with both a google and phone contact entry.

I then have to delink and delete the phone contact entry.

Is there a better way to do this, other than just add the contacts in gmail itself?

I have a Droid X running 2.2 stock.

Been a little while since I played with an X, but I know on my phone, when I click on Add for a new contact, there is a field at the top with a drop down box that lets me pick where the contact is saving (it defaults to Phone on mine, regardless of if I use the stock contact app, or Go Contacts), be it Phone, Google, etc. I would imagine most phones would have something similar when adding contacts..might just be kinda hidden and not obvious.

Upvote 0
I'm running the Gingerbread leak now and when you add a contact, there's a popup that lets you select where to add it. Also, you can set it in preferences.

I can't remember the FroYo way of doing it but I know I used to add contacts on my phone and have them sync to the cloud. Have you hit the menu button and checked your preferences? Reviewed the contacts screen when you add a contact? I thought there was a drop down box - like the calendar, where you can choose what calendar to add an event to.

Upvote 0
So what are you all doing when you want to add a google contact via the phone?

Doesn't seem possible to me.

I'm surprised this doesn't come up more...unless I'm just missing something.

On my phone (stock Froyo), I don't get an option to select where to add a contact. New contacts are added to both my Google contacts and my phone contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones