• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding sound files to Notifications

MikeHunt555

Aug 12, 2017
Is this possible?
I searched, but can't find where the sound files are stored.
I seem to think I saw one that was listed as Metallophone.ogg.
Even if I can find the folder, can I add files to it?
The files I want to add are .mp3, could I add those or would I need to change the format somehow?

It's likely that pre-loaded sounds are in somewhere like /system/media, where you need root to access them.

But just create a Notifications folder in your internal storage, if you don't have one already, and add your own sounds to that. Similarly you can add your own sounds to Ringtones and Alarms folders for those purposes.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.
As I don't understand about root access, I'll have to pass on that part.
I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro. I use 'my files' and can't find the folder with that.

You say to create a folder on my SD card with the
sound files I want, I have that already.
What I can't do is find how to access this folder when in Line app or Skype. I can only seem to be able to look in 'Sounds' with all the default files in there, but not go elsewhere.

Upvote 0
I said to create a folder in your internal storage, not your SD card. Now Google make this more confusing by having a "/sdcard" directory that is really internal storage (they call the actual SD card something different), but if you have actually placed it on the removable card that might be the problem.

I never use the "My Files" thing, but if you don't have the folder in your internal storage I would hope it would be capable of creating one. If not then install a better file explorer (I mainly use Solid Explorer, but there are many that are better than My Files IMO).

I don't use Line, but Skype will use sounds from the Notifications folder in your internal storage if it has one (I checked, and even for calls it looks in Notifications rather than Ringtones). If you use a file explorer to select sounds rather than the system sound picker you should be able to choose sounds from any folder, but if you clicked "always" when choosing an app previously you'll either have to clear that app's default actions (Settings > Apps, select app, look for "defaults") or else install a new app that can carry out the action. The system sound picker will however look in your Notifications folder (I recognise the "custom" options on my s21 as the files in my Notifications folder).

Reactions: kate
Upvote 0
Adding to what @Hadron said, the default Notification folder to add your own is usually located either:
/sdcard/notifications/
/sdcard/media/audio/notifications/

Location for ringtone audio files on your phone:
/sdcard/ringtones/
/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/

If you put your MP3 file in those folders most apps will let you select it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones