• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advice for Evo "window shopper"?

Hello, I have been spending a lot of time trying to research various Android devices. Thus far, EVO is the only one that appeals to me, mostly because it seems like it is on the forefront with all the bells & whistles, and Sprint's prices seem to be the best. I'd like some advice about how a not-so-tech savvy user (my wife) would be able to adapt from an iPhone 3G to the EVO.

We are both currently iPhone 3G users with contracts expiring next month (AT&T obviously), so we are in the perfect spot to switch (if we want to). I have definitely enjoyed using the iPhone (as has my wife), but I am always inclined to check out newer/different technology. I am more tech savvy than my wife, but I am not someone who is going to "jailbreak" an iPhone or "root" an Android phone.

Do you guys feel the EVO is something that a novice could use relatively quickly/easily? My concern is that I see a lot of threads about managing tasks, rooting, and maximizing the battery (that one really concerns me). We both are moderate-to-heavy users: calls, texts, Facebook (wife), web browsing, apps, etc. We need new devices now, since our batteries no longer last like they use to (previously 2 days between charges, now charging nightly).

Sorry for the rambling post...trying to jam a lot of info in a small space. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

You'll be charging it every night. That's the same with any smartphone really.

There's plenty of geeking out on these forums, but that doesn't mean Android is ONLY for tech savy people. Android outsold iPhone in the first quarter of this year, so obviously normal people can do it.

Sense is beautiful (IMO) and very user friendly. She should have no problem using it.

Reactions: Beetlejuice
Upvote 0
You guys will love the EVO... me and my girl have really been enjoying it. we switched from Palm Pre's, which like the iPhone, are much simpler. I love being able to set every detail of the phone exactly how I like. The EVO is simply amazing, and youre right about Sprint.. they've been great, you will appreciate unlimited data when you get this phone (i recommend the Everything Data 450 plan). My GF switched from VZW about a year ago and has not looked back. PLUS... You're in Chicago... you will be able to take advantage of 4G... im jealous.

Upvote 0
You guys will love the EVO... me and my girl have really been enjoying it. we switched from Palm Pre's, which like the iPhone, are much simpler. I love being able to set every detail of the phone exactly how I like. The EVO is simply amazing, and youre right about Sprint.. they've been great, you will appreciate unlimited data when you get this phone (i recommend the Everything Data 450 plan). My GF switched from VZW about a year ago and has not looked back. PLUS... You're in Chicago... you will be able to take advantage of 4G... im jealous.
Thanks. The 4G in Chicago is awesome. I have a Sprint 4G wireless card. I have used it with my work laptop and I was amazed that the 4G could handle Lotus Notes e-mail (our e-mail system is so bloated...it even struggles on a WiFi). Only problem is that certain parts of our house are not as good as others (actually have to switch to 3G in some spots).

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I would switch out of at&t personally. I (and my parents) was(were) a loyal customer of AT&T since car phones, then Cingular, then at&t and finally dumped them when my iphone 2 year contract was up. They dumped them for verizon, I dumped them for Sprint. None of us ever looked back.

If I had a fresh start as a single guy I might have gone verizon to an android phone, then picked up a droid X. However financially it made a ton more sense for my gf and I to go Sprint with the palm pre, her discount, and the awesome family plan which at 1500 mobile to land minutes is essentially unlimited. Now due to best buys warranty, I have an EVO and my GF has android envy (she is eligible for an upgrade but is going to wait for 4G and/or another comparable phone to choose between).

I couldn't tell ya which carrier to go with but I can tell ya you should ditch at&t and pick up someone else (Verizon or Sprint IMO). There is never going to be another major competitor to iOS, RIM, Android, winmo, or palm OS software. I've had 3 of the 5 and my favorite is by far Android.

Upvote 0
My wife and I are doing the same thing. Looking for the EVO's to arrive any day, then the iPhones get unplugged. My wife is not tech savvy at all, but has adapted well to her iPhone, so I assume after a short learning curve, she'll be cruising on the EVO as well.

Actually, 2 years ago when I switched her from a standard cell phone to the iPhone she really resisted, saying "I'll never use all that stuff... why spend the extra money?" Well, let me tell you, when we're in the car, she's doing something on the iPhone. And when the laptop isn't available, same thing - always poking around on email or something.

Upvote 0
Stop shopping. Buy it. You have 30 days to return, no questions asked. Do it just to play with it for 30 days, then get the iPhone 4 and Droid X and do the same thing. Or go back to the EVO and realize it was the best. :D :D

This guy is right, actually. Ive been with Sprint a while now and Sprint was very good about a return I made a couple months ago. I purchased the Overdrive (Great device, by the way), but when I heard that the EVO has a built in WiFi for 8 connections, I thought... I dont need this anymore... I will just use the EVO. So, I walked back into the Sprint store with no box, no recipt, no manual. Just the Overdrive with its power cord. They credited my account back for the cost of the device AND all service fees with no questions. Very impressive, if you ask me.

sooo.. to make a short story long... Get the EVO! Its two devices in one for me (saves BIG bucks)! If ya dont like it, take you can take it back w/in 30 days without any hastle and you wont pay a dime.. not even for the airtime and data you used (but, I doubt youll have to worry).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones