• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alarming Food Prices

Treb's post about Kroger and Albertsons merging.

That merger will be hard to stop using antitrust laws because there is still a large amount of competition.

If the merger happened by me Jewel-Osco (Albertsons) and Mariano's (Kroger) grocery stores would merge, but I still have Target, Tony's, Walmart, Amazon, Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's grocery stores to shop at within 10 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
If you think you're typical grocery store prices are outrageous, you should try dealing with truck stop prices. Yesterday I stopped in a town with a dollar general right across the street. I picked up three of these paper towel rolls for $1 a piece. In a truck stop for the same size $2.69-$5.79

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_065008_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_065008_Photos.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
If you think you're typical grocery store prices are outrageous, you should try dealing with truck stop prices. Yesterday I stopped in a town with a dollar general right across the street. I picked up three of these paper towel rolls for $1 a piece. In a truck stop for the same size $2.69-$5.79

I drive from northern Illinois to southern Tennessee a lot and I know what you are talking about. I basically just get coffee at truck stops now. I even downloaded the Love's app and watch for specials.

Reactions: joe71
Upvote 0
:maddroid:Today I found the 85% lean ground beef had increased from $6.49 to $7.49 per pound. I bought three packages of 90% lean that was marked down to $ 5.29 a pound. The meat counter was pretty sparsely stocked and a dude had his chart out and was changing prices. I'm pretty certain the prices weren't being decreased.
Last year I stopped at truck stop that had an actual grocery store :D :thumbsupdroid:. The prices were decent. Produce was fresh. As I was walking around I noticed a 75%-90% off sale on meat. I see signs for ribs, t-bone steak, porterhouse, chicken drum sticks, New York strip steaks. I am thinking I am going to grab a couple of steaks:D, throw one in the airfyer , have a microwave bake potatoe, maybe a vegetable or salad, I am all excited planning out my dinner
Until I reach the refrigerator/freezer section and I Started looking at the meat :thinking:. Some of the meat is grey, some is purplish/red, some is a strange shade of blue :thumbsdowndroid: and then there is the meat that is green with little black dots
:sick::maddroid: some of the stuff had been expired for almost a year. Needles to say I didn't have a steak dinner that night

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
There are a few larger gas stations I have stopped at in southern Tennessee that only seem to have expired snack for sale.

Something else that is being abused is the Best Buy Date, rather than an expiration date. I read an article where someone brought the Best Buy Date up and someone responded that the FDA said food safety for Best Buy Date was for 2 months past the Best Buy Date, not 6 months or a year.

Upvote 0
Last year I stopped at truck stop that had an actual grocery store :D :thumbsupdroid:. The prices were decent. Produce was fresh. As I was walking around I noticed a 75%-90% off sale on meat. I see signs for ribs, t-bone steak, porterhouse, chicken drum sticks, New York strip steaks. I am thinking I am going to grab a couple of steaks:D, throw one in the airfyer , have a microwave bake potatoe, maybe a vegetable or salad, I am all excited planning out my dinner
Until I reach the refrigerator/freezer section and I Started looking at the meat :thinking:. Some of the meat is grey, some is purplish/red, some is a strange shade of blue :thumbsdowndroid: and then there is the meat that is green with little black dots
:sick::maddroid: some of the stuff had been expired for almost a year. Needles to say I didn't have a steak dinner that night

I would be tempted to report that place to the local health inspector

Reactions: joe71 and olbriar
Upvote 0
We went to a local food mart along the entertainment strip of Hochatown last weekend thinking it would be best to eat at the cabin Monday after the eclipse. We bought hot dogs and associated goodies, meat platter, cheese platter, chips, dips, and a desert. Everything was way over priced. Our meal and snacks cost the group around $250 LOL. It was far better than fighting the crowd after the eclipse but was pricy. A package of Bar S hot dogs was over eleven bucks! :)

Upvote 0
I Picked this up yesterday at a Walmart. $6.97 ($7.00 basically) l can easily turn this into three or four meals. Last night I had the drum sticks with bake beans and potatoe salad.
Later today when I stop for lunch I will probably make a couple of chicken sandwiches and I will probably finish it off for dinner tonight night

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415_004002_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_004002_Photos.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones