• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alarming Food Prices

Something I'm finding annoying and a very stupid marketing idea is the buy more discount at the grocery store. It has stopped me from buying something I need,

Lets say you need XX pounds of flour and the price listed is $5.99, but it has a tag that says $3.99 if you buy 3. So if I was to buy one for $5.99, I would feel like I'm getting screwed.

It's just a very stupid marketing idea.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Something I'm finding annoying and a very stupid marketing idea is the buy more discount at the grocery store. It has stopped me from buying something I need,

Lets say you need XX pounds of flour and the price listed is $5.99, but it has a tag that says $3.99 if you buy 3. So if I was to buy one for $5.99, I would feel like I'm getting screwed.

It's just a very stupid marketing idea.
Unless it has a long shelf life count me out on buying more than I wanted with a multiple purchase discount. I will buy items in number when I know I'll consume them long before their expiration date.
Besides getting the discount, and stocking up somewhat, the price will likely be more expensive in the future if current inflation trends continue. Just today I bought two boxes of scalloped potatoes that had buy two at a savings. The savings wasn't a great sale but I'll use the other box sometime. My thought was I bet the product doesn't even have an expiration date. :) I've bought some canned goods that were buy 3 at a discount. I buy three.. I'll use them. I'd never buy three bags of flour. :)

Reactions: AugieTN
I noticed something today at the market that I'll be paying closer attention to. In knowing I was going to be roosting watching football all day I decided I'd buy something to munch on. I decided I'd buy a bag of Gardetto's pretzels and rye chips mix. They had two sizes of bags. I though I might buy the larger, even though it would take a while to eat them, figuring the larger would be cheaper per oz. I looked at the two tags. The larger bag was more expensive per oz which surprised me. I bought the smaller bag. It was more than I needed and cheaper.

Is it just me or are we all accustomed to the larger or family package of something being cheaper per oz?

Reactions: AugieTN
I noticed something today at the market that I'll be paying closer attention to. In knowing I was going to be roosting watching football all day I decided I'd buy something to munch on. I decided I'd buy a bag of Gardetto's pretzels and rye chips mix. They had two sizes of bags. I though I might buy the larger, even though it would take a while to eat them, figuring the larger would be cheaper per oz. I looked at the two tags. The larger bag was more expensive per oz which surprised me. I bought the smaller bag. It was more than I needed and cheaper.

Is it just me or are we all accustomed to the larger or family package of something being cheaper per oz?

I've ran into that before. The last time was with Coke Zero and the small 7oz cans were the cheapest. The Albertson grocery store by me normally has price per oz posted.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
9498344c-4ef7-43ac-829a-bd1ac59d5c28-jpg.557525

Upvote 0
Something I've noticed is items that have taken a huge jump, I will not buy and obviously other people have done the same thing. In a few weeks the item will be buy 1 get 1 free.

It actually shows capitalism working. if the price is too high and people are not buying it, they have to lower the price.

Here's a perfect example of what I mentioned. Potato Chips went up to $5.29 a bag.I think they were like $3.79 a bag or maybe $4.29 a bag. I thought that was a really crazy price increase, so did many others. Now they're selling for half that price. Buy 1 get 1 free.

potatochips.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've worked over the bargain bin meats lately. The prices of meat have consumers doing without or buying alternatives. This creates a surplus of dated meats that have to be sold at a bargain or tossed a day later. I'm retired so I go to my local grocer almost daily and often rewarded by half priced or better meat. The savings don't come close to counter acting the store wide inflated prices of most items that have longer shelf life but it helps. I wish I had a larger freezer.

Upvote 0
It is the items that you can't or refuse to be without are the culprit for the major shopping gouge. At least around my area, consumers are tightening their belts or at least curbing unnecessary purchases. It's the only line of defense for the consumer. Chips come to mind. They doubled in price and then came back down some. I, and many others, refused to pay the ridiculous prices for crapola they didn't have to have.

Upvote 0
I buy our paper products and toilet paper from the dollar stores, waay cheaper than the grocery stores.
3 bucks compared to 7 bucks.
I also use the coupons I get from Kroger and buy accordingly. It's only for me and my wife.
I also get gas at a discounted price with my Kroger rewards.
We try to stay away from the national brands and buy the Kroger brands as much as possible.
This is the way....

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
Most everyone is forced to be a wiser consumer. We do the Kroger coupons and we shop Costco for large quantity purchase at a savings. My wife retired from Kroger. Besides a laughable pension she receives 2X savings on all Kroger products. It wasn't that big of a deal to begin with but we take full advantage of the perk now.

What I really find alarming is that the healthier foods are the more expensive choices. Many are forced and everyone is influenced to buy the less nutritious offerings because of their price. The high sugar and carb items are a bad joke on our population. Everyone attempting to eat healthier or is instructed to have a restricted diet has to suffer the additional expense. It seems unfair and is slowly killing off our species. On the other hand, the pharma industry loves and likely supports the unhealthy affordable foods so they can continue to feed their multi billion dollar industry. We are doomed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones