• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ALL IN ONE] The HTC Thunderbolt Tool!

I used this on my old phone and it worked great, just used it on my replacement phone, worked fine, but a few hours later the phone has become unusable. I didn't flash any rom, all I did was S-off and flash the recovery. I did not have time to do the rest of my updates.

Now I am boot looping, half the time it won't turn on.

I can get into recovery once in awhile, and it tries to run the update package again.

Half the time it acts like it is not even turning on.

Any ideas? Tempted to send it back instead of mine that still works, except it shows S-off

Edit: cleared the memory card, now I can actually get around recovery because the update file is gone. I cannot get it to boot at all though. It was working fine earlier today - well for about 2 hours.

Tried a factory reset, didn't stay on long enough to do anything, hoping the battery didn't puke this time.

Upvote 0
I used this on my old phone and it worked great, just used it on my replacement phone, worked fine, but a few hours later the phone has become unusable. I didn't flash any rom, all I did was S-off and flash the recovery. I did not have time to do the rest of my updates.

Now I am boot looping, half the time it won't turn on.

I can get into recovery once in awhile, and it tries to run the update package again.

Half the time it acts like it is not even turning on.

Any ideas? Tempted to send it back instead of mine that still works, except it shows S-off

Edit: cleared the memory card, now I can actually get around recovery because the update file is gone. I cannot get it to boot at all though. It was working fine earlier today - well for about 2 hours.

Tried a factory reset, didn't stay on long enough to do anything, hoping the battery didn't puke this time.

Sounds like hardware issue honestly, maybe try running the unrooter from recovery mode and if the issue persists try calling them and saying your replacement crapped out

Upvote 0
Question regarding the new update. I have rooted my phone using this tool and still have the stock rom GB. My wifes non rooted phone updated on its own last night without her permission. I am worried that my phone would try the same thing and wondering what I can do to prevent it. Right now, I have just disabled all data (mobile/wifi) but really don't want to do it for very long :). I see that this tool had a section to prevent ota updates. Does it work for this? In addition, can someone point me to a good guide for backing up applications. Reading this forum, it sounds like I will need to do a full wipe to put this new rom on (never changed one before) and there are a few apps that I can not move to sd card....which btw, do I need to worry about restoring any apps on a new rom for ones I have moved to the sd card using app2sd app.

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Rooted my tbolt quite a while ago to install VPN software for work. VZW forced an update that caused the phone to go into a death boot loop, so I unrooted and wrote an OTA rom back to the phone. It then failed future OTA updates which I didn't mind, so I assume that it's not properly unrooted.

Now, I'm wanting to unroot again to run other apps that require it, and found this thread and thought my troubles were over, but apparently not.

Running the batch file with all the phone settings correct, it fails to achieve s-off.

Here's the log:
[HIGH]Starting Thunderbolt Tool v1.0.1 build November 24 2012, 2:13 AM EST at Thu 03/07/2013 8:25:18.41
Setting path
Server MD5 is: "D1A2EAABD47FBD328454FD0EE0FE9FD7 ThunderboltTool.bat "
Our MD5: "D1A2EAABD47FBD328454FD0EE0FE9FD7 ThunderboltTool.bat "
Could Not Find C:\aaaa\support_files\Script-new-MD5.txt
No updates availible.
--
Our checksum is 5F4BA3E44B33934E80257F3948970868 support_files\download\sed.zip
The correct checksum is 5F4BA3E44B33934E80257F3948970868 support_files\download\sed.zip
Getting phone info
--
Phone is normally booted
RAW BBHERE "/system/xbin/busybox: not found "
RAW HASBB "no"
Bootloader: 1.05.0000 Stock S-ON
ADB rooted: No
ROM Version: 2.11.605.5 - Android 2.3.4
Superuser: binary v/system/xbin/su
--
Loading stock main
--
Starting rooter
Our checksum is D42C9D49DABADAF1B6BF291CAAB34D6E support_files\download\DowngradeBypass.zip
Correct checksum is D42C9D49DABADAF1B6BF291CAAB34D6E support_files\download\DowngradeBypass.zip
Launching Rooter...
--
Phone is on ROM Version "2.11.605.5 "so we will use ZergRush.
Temp rooting
Root unsuccessful
--
Exiting... [/HIGH]Now, the "update status" on the phone itself reports ROM Version: 2.11.605.9

Any thoughts on how to work around this?

--- EDIT --- I resolved the issue by editing the batch file to use the .9 root method when the .5 was reported, and it completed the root.

Thanks for this!!!

Upvote 0
Ok, further issues..

After a couple reboots the phone forgets it's rooted, although the radio remains s-off, etc, apps that require root go to superuser for permission, which it responds to, but apparently it no longer has the rights to issue so the other apps hang up or force close.

When it does this, running the tool again, and selecting "s-off but no root" will renable root again, at least for a couple reboots..

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Thought I'd give you guys an update. I bought and received received a replacement thunderbolt and now can finish testing v1.1.0 of the tool (Which supports ICS!). Hopefully this will conclude tomorrow and I will be able to publish it. I update XDA the most, so if you want to know the latest you can check the thread there.
:)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Hi trter10 - I am HTC dev unlocked, rooted and have 4EXT and Recovery Touch v10.0.5RC84EXT Recovery Touch v10.0.5RC8 flashed. Busy Box 1.2.1.0 is installed using BusyBox Pro and I installed the paid version of 4EXT Recovery Control 2.4.6 to get the recovery image. I would like to achieve S OFF but retain the verizon, out of the box, stock ICS rom. Anyway to do that? Also, will my current configuration as described above work with v1.1.0 of the tool when it is ready?

Upvote 0
Thanks TRTER10 for this tool. I used it and successfully rooted stock GB.

My question now is, since official has been released, is there anyway to update my TB to ICS and still keep root?

Thanks

best bet is to flash a stock rom in recovery,and then flash the new radios in hboot. :) i cant link them ATM,but there should be links in the "how to donwgrade ics" thread :)

Upvote 0
Thought I'd give you guys an update. I bought and received received a replacement thunderbolt and now can finish testing v1.1.0 of the tool (Which supports ICS!). Hopefully this will conclude tomorrow and I will be able to publish it. I update XDA the most, so if you want to know the latest you can check the thread there.
:)

How is new tool coming? I just tried old tool and got windows blue screen.
Also my phone went to a boot menu with BOOTLOADER/REBOOT/REBOOT BOOTLOADER/POWER DOWN choices ... which was I supposed to choose?

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I am trying to root my HTC Thunderbolt with this all-in-one tool
However, whenever I attempt to use it, I am prompted with inability to download rooter (it will keep trying to download, then fail, then keep trying infinitely)

I don't know if this would make a difference, but:

HTC Thunderbolt
Fastboot 1.05.000
and running Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread I believe)

Thanks, and I appreciate any help!

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I am trying to root my HTC Thunderbolt with this all-in-one tool
However, whenever I attempt to use it, I am prompted with inability to download rooter (it will keep trying to download, then fail, then keep trying infinitely)

I don't know if this would make a difference, but:

HTC Thunderbolt
Fastboot 1.05.000
and running Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread I believe)

Thanks, and I appreciate any help!

Im getting this same error still is there a problem with the host site or something when the tool downloads?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones