• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am done with the Desire. Buying iPhone 4 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
Didn't think I actually had to spell it out. I had scratched the lens cover.

After having removed the aforementioned scratched cover, the pictures looked great.

Seriously.:cool:

This is a flaw with the Desire is it not? You now have an exposed camera glass. Try removing that when it gets scratched.

There are a couple of threads on the forum about how to get better pictures by removing the entire back cover or the plastic lens cover. Or how to replace your lens cover with sapphire glass etc. If this was happening in the case of the iPhone 4 you guys would be clutching yourselves with glee at how crap it was. But seeing as it's on the beloved Desire the blinkers are firmly on and now it's an "easily solvable" issue.

Having to remove a crucial part of the lens protection in order to achieve good quality photos is absolutely unacceptable!

Upvote 0
Have you git the iPhone yet?

Nope. Chose not to. Basically had a quiet word with myself about the colossal expenditure (especially seeing as I had purchased the Desire a few weeks ago).

Am making a concerted effort to make the most out of the Desire. Have installed swype and Dolphin HD in the last 24 hours and am having a nice experience with those.

I find it beyond belief that there are so many children out there unable to grasp the fact that a) the Desire has some flaws and b)the iPhone 4 does some things better than the Desire.

I guess I should add the flame-******ent qualifying statement (for the hard-of-thinking fandroids) that I believe the Desire to be one of the best smartphones in the world.

Upvote 0
i agree with you about some of the childish comments here. the same way there are apple fanbois there are the same for android and they are die hard.

i do however have issues with false statements, im yet to find an iphone 4 user that "Actually" has better battery life than desire.
maybe the battery in your desire is a duff but there is no way the iphone 4 is better for battery life and thats why i started to question things.
there is nothing wrong with having a phone you YOU want for whatever reason.
these are the devices on my desk at the moment
SE - Xperia x10, Iphone 4, Blackberry torch, HTC Desire.

EDIT: oh and the 93% life on the desire is after 1hr of listening to music on the train and playing 10 mins of angry birds

I'm not even going to address the video issue. Anyone who has directly compared video capture between the iPhone4 and the Desire knows the truth.
I have, i have them on my desk and i posted videos a few weeks ago after setting the iso to 800.
they are directly comparable when watching on a pc screen, they look better on iphone as the screen resolution and brightness is better on the iphone without a doubt.
I can speak from a completely neutral view and one from unbias.

Upvote 0
Have you git the iPhone?

Nope, he can't afford it! ;)

As for the lens being unprotected, without the plastic cover, the lens itself is recessed and DOES NOT stick out.

The camera is just fine on the Desire and takes awesome pics for a phone, you just have to smart and know how to use it.

Battery life is just fine, I get more than a day with gmail, weather, stocks, 75% screen light and always on data.(have very good reception where I live)

The one, and only thing, I still have to get used to is the fact that I can't type as fast as with my Bold. :(

The op has too much time on his hands and should think about getting a job to finance his iphone purchase instead of posting here. ;)

Upvote 0
It is true that the lens cover should've been made out of better material or better yet had a cover like Sony Ericsson had on a number of their phones. But while I bought SE phones primarily for their camera quality (the C905 is probably the best camera phone there's ever been) I bought the Desire for its online abilities.

In that respect it doesn't disappoint and as an overall smartphone it's still one, if not THE, best there is. Techradar have updated their top 10 Android phones and the Desire remains their number 1 choice, above the new HD model.

As I've already posted, no smartphone is perfect so you need to do your research beforehand. I did and I'm not disappointed. Is it ideal that you get better photo's on the Desire by removing the clear cover on the back? No. But it's no more ideal than needing a "bumper" to improve calls on the iPhone.

Yes, forum users can be blindly loyal to a brand, so what? That's just human nature and applies to all areas of our lives. We all like certain stuff and don't like it when someone criticises it for no apparent reason.

I also posted a question earlier asking what was it you expected to get out of this thread? Did you want us to beg you not to change your phone? Really, I'd be interested to know what prompted you to tell us all that you were about to give up on the Desire and change to the iPhone.

Upvote 0
iphone 4 is great, while iphone 4 with a Signal Amplifier Case is perfect

Stop spamming your products around. Linking to the same site in your signature is the real giveaway. :rolleyes: And incidentally, signal amplifier? It's a silicon case. No amplifying going on there.

As to the camera comments, it's a phone camera. It's for taking snapshots of random things you find interesting. You're going to be uploading them to facebook, or showing them on the phone itself, or maybe making 6x4 prints out of them. It's more than good enough for that purpose. They've even thrown in a nice load of controls so if you want more contrast or saturation in your pictures, you can change it. It's more than possible to take a nice picture with the Desire, if you know what you're doing.

Incidentally, I don't suppose there's a camera app for android that saves in a RAW format? I'd be happy to wait the extra time for it to write etc for the choice to kill the built in noise reduction and use my own software.

Upvote 0
i think its hillarious that widehead made such a scene about being off to buy an iphone4, and turns out he cant afford it.

this kinda illustrates a point about the IP4 and many other apple products being a little over priced no?

Have to agree, I do not like the use of apple products, but by good they look good, but they are way over priced.

Upvote 0
Whats the point in giving him what he is obviously looking for? This thread is 3 pages long now with him going meh and some others going meh.

We love our Desires as we know how to use them and how to get the best out of them.

Leave him to wallow in his own self pity and don't placate his daft but personal opinions :)

Upvote 0
This is your defense of the Desires image capture? Seriously?

Here's some iPhone4 photos for you:

http://imgur.com/ecMSt.jpg
http://imgur.com/hPkEq.jpg
You do know putting a black frame around them doesn't suddenly make them art, do you?

iPhone pics are only marginally better - they both have too much grain and this is coming from a graphic designer. In any case, for a phone, the Desire makes good pictures and I don't expect any better.

In general, the Desire just has too many advantages over the iPhone. The iPhone has two big advantages: its market and standard hardware - although Apple are screwing that up at the moment with the iPad and iphone 4 so it's only half an advantage.

The Desire has more brands, more options, open market, Google support, cheaper price tags (even the highest end Android phone is a lot cheaper than the iPhone 4), support for SD cards, support for more file formats, emulators, better PC support, etc.

Ah well, each to their own. If you want a status symbol instead of a decent phone, the iPhone is the only choice next to the Blackberry ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones