• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMOLED vs. LCD Screens

With regard to how to tell which screen you've got, I asked that question on the Android Central Forum shortly after getting my new Inc 2 days ago. Indicated that, when I go to Settings>About Phone>Hardware Info, I see that I have hardware version 0002.

In response, a source others felt to be reputable (patches) posted that 0002 is AMOLED, 0003 is LCD.

Don't know if this is the definitive word, but another data point for your reference. Haven't been able to compare my screen to an EVO yet, but it certainly looks good to me.

Playing with this phone and the forums is going to kill my life... so many features, so many questions and answers to search for, so little work getting done in the meantime... loving it.

Upvote 0
i thought they were going to be shipping mixed batches of screens? some LCD some AMOLED

That's what I heard. Also, when it does happen, supposedly they will clearly label which is which (LCD or AMOLED.) So both will be available in the future. Of course, I'm sure all of that is "subject to change" based on future situations. We'll see!

Upvote 0
moment_of_silence.jpg

Upvote 0
That's what I heard. Also, when it does happen, supposedly they will clearly label which is which (LCD or OLED.) So both will be available in the future. Of course, I'm sure all of that is "subject to change" based on future situations. We'll see!

They probably got one final token delivery from HTC, hence the mix. When channels bleed out of amoled, lcd is all that is being made now. Sammy is using the capacity for their own devices.

The mix statement is accurate, though a tad deceiving ;)

Upvote 0
That's what I heard. Also, when it does happen, supposedly they will clearly label which is which (LCD or AMOLED.) So both will be available in the future. Of course, I'm sure all of that is "subject to change" based on future situations. We'll see!

There would have to be a SKU change which hasn't happened as far as I've heard.

The hardware code will also change like it did on the Evo.

Andy

Upvote 0
Pardon my ignorance, but how much of a difference is there between the two screen types?

You would only notice a difference if you had the two different screen types right next to each other.

Enjoy your Incredible regardless of which screen it comes with, it's still a great device although I am probably getting an X because I don't want to wait a month for an Inc.

Upvote 0
I got my phone on 7/2 and forsure has the AMOLED screen. I would have known it just by trying to use it outside in the sun tho there is NO doubt about it once I tried , lol .If your build is "0002" you still have AMOLED screen I think ,(MENU>settings>about phone>hardware information>hardware version) or you can google your SKU number off the box also (I dont have my SKU number with me )

even if I didnt have the AMOLED screen I still would have kept phone it isnt going to matter that much ,lol

Upvote 0
I just saw on VzW site that AMOLED was replaced with WVGA. I gave back my Eris and ordered the Dinc on 6-21. On the "order date vs ship date" thread I am seeing people who ordered on 6/18 are starting to receive their phones. Gotta go check that thread to see if anyone is reporting any WVGA screens being delivered. Have to decide if it is time to panic!

Upvote 0
I just saw on VzW site that AMOLED was replaced with WVGA. I gave back my Eris and ordered the Dinc on 6-21. On the "order date vs ship date" thread I am seeing people who ordered on 6/18 are starting to receive their phones. Gotta go check that thread to see if anyone is reporting any WVGA screens being delivered. Have to decide if it is time to panic!

All screens will be WVGA. WVGA just refers to the resolution of the phone, not the type of display that is used. The removal of the AMOLED text from the specifications is probably due the fact that HTC will be using both SLCD and AMOLED displays with the product depending on their supplies of AMOLED displays.

Since the AMOLED displays are in low supply right now HTC is going to be substituting the Incredible's AMOLED screens with SLCD's, which the Droid X uses (so colors won't be as "vibrant" but direct-sunlight readability will increase).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones