• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Andrea you have converted me!

MarcMaiden

Android Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2010
Bay Area, ca
Andrea you fool! You converted me from the Atrix to the Inspire.

This might help some people but here is why:

1. (and the biggest reason) Price. $200 for a smart phone is normal. $500 for a laptop dock that is just a screen and battery is not. And because I am an AT&T employee, i have to shell out full price for everything meaning im payin $1000 for the atrix + laptop dock. And honestly, It was the accessories that made the phone.

2. Reviews and performance on the Inspire has been more than acceptable. The only thing i wish it did have was a kick stand. When I owned the HTC surround for a while, that speaker/kickstand combo was awesome.

3. Its HTC. The phone is metal. You know you are getting a no frills, quality device.

4. Its less expensive (and probably more functional) to buy this phone for $99 on contract and spend the $500 (for the would be laptop dock) on one of the new honeycomb tabs coming out like the moto xoom or the g-tablet.

Unless Motorola or AT&T change the prices on the accessories, the inspire will be my next phone for a while until prices calm down.

Reactions: solidkevin
well, I have never used an android device before, let alone an HTC with Sense 2.0. I have been using blackberry for the past 4 years and im tired of being stuck in 1995.

Is it all menu based like windows and blackberry? Are there any basic tutorials and useful tips threads that are worth looking at in advance of me picking this up?

It's not the best video for explaining Android, but it'll get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7x6-wW4rk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Upvote 0
Andrea you fool! You converted me from the Atrix to the Inspire.

This might help some people but here is why:

1. (and the biggest reason) Price. $200 for a smart phone is normal. $500 for a laptop dock that is just a screen and battery is not. And because I am an AT&T employee, i have to shell out full price for everything meaning im payin $1000 for the atrix + laptop dock. And honestly, It was the accessories that made the phone.

2. Reviews and performance on the Inspire has been more than acceptable. The only thing i wish it did have was a kick stand. When I owned the HTC surround for a while, that speaker/kickstand combo was awesome.

3. Its HTC. The phone is metal. You know you are getting a no frills, quality device.

4. Its less expensive (and probably more functional) to buy this phone for $99 on contract and spend the $500 (for the would be laptop dock) on one of the new honeycomb tabs coming out like the moto xoom or the g-tablet.

Unless Motorola or AT&T change the prices on the accessories, the inspire will be my next phone for a while until prices calm down.

knock me over with a feather

Upvote 0
I honestly am a little suprised at the mass exodus from the atrix camp.

Believe me, some is definately understandable with these prices, but its harsher than even i would have expected.

Not a big deal for me since i was considering the lap top doc superfluous and gimmicky from the start and had selected inspre over atrix even if they were priced the same but..... man they are jumping ship left and right over there like the ship is sinking...lol

Truth be told its like Motorla woke up this morning and decided to sell HTC phones for them as a favor.

Upvote 0
I honestly am a little suprised at the mass exodus from the atrix camp.

Believe me, some is definately understandable with these prices, but its harsher than even i would have expected.

Not a big deal for me since i was considering the lap top doc superfluous and gimmicky from the start and had selected inspre over atrix even if they were priced the same but..... man they are jumping ship left and right over there like the ship is sinking...lol

Truth be told its like Motorla woke up this morning and decided to sell HTC phones for them as a favor.

its funny when us inspire guys were saying these things we were stupid for liking "outdated" phone now its us who are the smart ones

Upvote 0
its funny when us inspire guys were saying these things we were stupid for liking "outdated" phone now its us who are the smart ones

Yep.

You and I were saying it from the get-go, the atrix is an interesting device, but it's practicality is highly over-valued. The Atrix will undoubtedly be a good phone, but it has so many drawbacks to the hardcore Android user who wants the most out of his or her device that, realistically, it's technical specs can't overcome them.

Upvote 0
Yep.

You and I were saying it from the get-go, the atrix is an interesting device, but it's practicality is highly over-valued. The Atrix will undoubtedly be a good phone, but it has so many drawbacks to the hardcore Android user who wants the most out of his or her device that, realistically, it's technical specs can't overcome them.

Yea I have said it over and over hardware cant beat software!! Plus the fact that the hardware is nice but its locked down harder than an inmate at county just makes it that less useful, add to that the cost and fees and all practicality is out the door

Upvote 0
I was also all set to get the Atrix, but now wonder if it's worth twice the price of the Inspire now that the docks are out of the question. The biggest concern I have is the size of the device. I'm a long-time BlackBerry user, and have not used a phone that big. The 4" screen of the Atrix looked like it would be a nice size and feel in the hand...but in looking at the size of the Inspire in-hand via pictures, and compared to other phones, it looks HUGE. Is that something you just have to get used to, or is it not as big as it seems?

Upvote 0
I was also all set to get the Atrix, but now wonder if it's worth twice the price of the Inspire now that the docks are out of the question. The biggest concern I have is the size of the device. I'm a long-time BlackBerry user, and have not used a phone that big. The 4" screen of the Atrix looked like it would be a nice size and feel in the hand...but in looking at the size of the Inspire in-hand via pictures, and compared to other phones, it looks HUGE. Is that something you just have to get used to, or is it not as big as it seems?

its not as big as it seems its actually very comfortable

Upvote 0
When they were first announced, I said neither, will wait for LTE.

Recently been having problems with my Liquid (lots of apps, 7 homescreens full of widgets, Android 2.2 and 256MB of RAM, not a great combination) then realized that the current generation of LTE will have speeds roughly equal to HSPA+ and figured LTE won't even be mature until the end of a 2 year contract (if that early) coupled with problems I am having with Liquid E memory, figured I'd go Inspire.

Then started having second thoughts after watching some videos of the Atrix (but I was always leaning towards the Inspire with the only reason being an unencrypted bootloader and how crappy MOTOBLUR is plus how locked down AT&T is).

Now I am pretty much for sure getting the Inspire, probably after I get my check on the 18th.

Upvote 0
When they were first announced, I said neither, will wait for LTE.

Recently been having problems with my Liquid (lots of apps, 7 homescreens full of widgets, Android 2.2 and 256MB of RAM, not a great combination) then realized that the current generation of LTE will have speeds roughly equal to HSPA+ and figured LTE won't even be mature until the end of a 2 year contract (if that early) coupled with problems I am having with Liquid E memory, figured I'd go Inspire.

Then started having second thoughts after watching some videos of the Atrix (but I was always leaning towards the Inspire with the only reason being an unencrypted bootloader and how crappy MOTOBLUR is plus how locked down AT&T is).

Now I am pretty much for sure getting the Inspire, probably after I get my check on the 18th.

Oh YEAAAAAA!!!!!! welcome!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Im a Moto Atrix possible convertee... what is causing the max exodous? The higher plan for the laptop dock and you cant root it? If so I might come to the light side : ) Any other major drawbacks other than the smaller scree? I personally would love the 4.3. But no front facing camera???

Sense is way better than motoblur
Sense 2.0 has alot of feature like
preloading maps find your htc etc etc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones