• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.2 and DI

If it's going to be "second half" of the year, I'd rather just jump to Gingerbread, which Google said would be out in Q4.

Why would you wait? Updates take a matter of minutes so even if you updated to 2.2 in Q3, it's not that big of a deal to update to 2.3 in Q4.

I updated my friend's Sprint Hero to 2.1 yesterday and it took less than 7 minutes. My BlackBerry takes about 15 minutes to update to a new OS and it seems like I do it at least a few times a month, every time a new hybrid gets put together.

Upvote 0
You are comparing going from 1.5 to 2.1 to going from 2.1 to 2.2? Kinda funny if you ask me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I agree. The upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1 was a much bigger than the upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2.

2.2 is realy just an incremental upgrade and it should take HTC much less time to integrate Sense with 2.2 given that Sense is running on 2.1.

I think 2nd half of 2010 will be accurate, but I would expect it late into the 2nd half given how slow the Verizon QA process is

Upvote 0
When you upgrade the Android OS, I take it no master reset/system wipe is need? It's an over the top upgrade?

Coming from the WM world, that is so nice. Once I had my WM phone tweaked and loaded with programs, I pretty much stopped playing with ROMs as it would be just way too much work to get it back to the way it was.

Upvote 0
When you upgrade the Android OS, I take it no master reset/system wipe is need? It's an over the top upgrade?

Coming from the WM world, that is so nice. Once I had my WM phone tweaked and loaded with programs, I pretty much stopped playing with ROMs as it would be just way too much work to get it back to the way it was.

If you do the proper update and not a root and fresh ROM, that's correct.

The other nice thing is, even if you do a root and a fresh ROM, you always have appbrain to sync from, or you can just use EStrong's File Manager or Astro to restore apps from the SD card.

Upvote 0

i concur!
i realllly want the new features...but...as is my incredible is perfect!
those features will just be icing...right now my phone is like a perfect pound cake less the icing!
though...pound cake with frozen yogurt does sound tasty!!
anyone else getting a lil hungry? :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones