• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.3 & 4.0 WiFi Internet HD 1080P HDMI Google TV Box ARM Cortex A9 Firmware

Bug list:
- strange wifi behavior occassionally. disconnects and signal drops for no reason. will try to get log during random freakout, but might be kinda difficult to find it with the input errors. rtl8192cu wifi card.
- Netflix issues -- reported

UPDATE:FTPDROID server fixed. was a root issue. resolved by adding symlink to /system/bin aimed at /system/xbin/su

Feature wishlist:

-sleep timer for display
-Netflix, Even if netflix worked, it still has a bug on amlogic ICS, from what i can see. it buffers and plays fine for about 5 minutes, then mediaplayerservice disconnects from stream and movie stops. player still open and play controls still visible, just stream dropped. remedy is to hit back and reselect stream, then buffer and play again. then 5 minutes later mediaplayerservice disconnects. this happens on the visson firmwares, my zenithink 8726M3 ICS 4.0.3 C71 tablet (which is otherwise quite nice and CHEAP!) and any other amlogic 8726m_ system running ICS 4.0.3. i\ll get logs of the disconnects with vissons firmware so you can see the drop.

Upvote 0
Changelog

FileBrowser:
- Fixed back button behaviour

V.play networking:
- auto scan for devices enabled and working (layout problem exists on Found shares dialog, but works... btw, that layout is driving me nuts... :))

VideoPlayer:
- For qwerty remotes - when playing movie spacebar acts as play/pause

Other changes:
- News and weather widget added to firmware
- Google Earth now actually works
- Google Maps and Google Earth updated to latest versions and moved to userspace area, can be uninstalled from Settings
- removed chineese IME
- added symlink to /mnt/NetShares -> /NetShares

Notes:
market_patch.zip also updated, do not forget to copy it also on your sdcard

Weather info in Maps live wallpaper afaik depends on gps location service, needs more investigation.

Link:

Download 20120531_Android_ICS-ATV-108-c03ref.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Reactions: tsamy and zuluman
Upvote 0
Bug List:

File Browser thru Vplay network: a little glitchy when using the newly assigned 'BACK' button. browser just kinda sat there and then crashed...ill recreate and get log.

/System/ partition needs to be resized to 512MB instead of 256MB. after market and gapps install, there is not enough room to even update su from superuser.apk. less than 200kb left on system drive. can cause stability issues if it ever gets full.

USB ports never go to sleep. I have a usb hard disk that continues to spin and stay powered on when unit is in standby. no amount of time puts the drive to sleep.

UPDATE: I may have a solution for DTS. checking now. seems to work. copied over files from 2.3.4 and DTS now works. AC3 still NOT working. almost tho. i think i had it working one. will zip and sendspace files when i track this all down.

any luck with netflix? i've been reading a million other forums and these are pretty common netflix problems. there is an answer in there somewhere..

UPDATE: NETFLIX now has video! looks good too! but still no audio. i will capture log and resend.
UPDATE: Netflix still will only play video only for about 5 minutes then it drops the stream.

Also, stane1983, is it possible for me to just copy over the proper files and use viossons kernel instead of yours, considering they are the same version and all? i ask because theirs runs at 900mhz and yours at 750mhz. your kernel isn't compiled from source so this should be possible right? or will there be major issues?

UPDATE: When playing a very large (14GB) mkv of tron legacy from SDA1 hdd, movie will play for a minute then stop, hard drive is spinning like crazy, total movie player crash.

UPDATE: BUG: Google Voice search no longer works. Even when reinstalling version from market, still crash upon using. missing library file : libvoicesearch.so , because system partition runs out of space during firmware install, market update files never get installed.

UPDATE: while google earth is installed in /data userspace, libearthmobile.so (whick is 15MBs!) is still installed in /system/lib. all libs and files should be moved to userspace as well.

Reactions: tsamy
Upvote 0
Bug List:

File Browser thru Vplay network: a little glitchy when using the newly assigned 'BACK' button. browser just kinda sat there and then crashed...ill recreate and get log.

/System/ partition needs to be resized to 512MB instead of 256MB. after market and gapps install, there is not enough room to even update su from superuser.apk. less than 200kb left on system drive. can cause stability issues if it ever gets full.

USB ports never go to sleep. I have a usb hard disk that continues to spin and stay powered on when unit is in standby. no amount of time puts the drive to sleep.

UPDATE: I may have a solution for DTS. checking now. seems to work. copied over files from 2.3.4 and DTS now works. AC3 still NOT working. almost tho. i think i had it working one. will zip and sendspace files when i track this all down.

any luck with netflix? i've been reading a million other forums and these are pretty common netflix problems. there is an answer in there somewhere..

UPDATE: NETFLIX now has video! looks good too! but still no audio. i will capture log and resend.
UPDATE: Netflix still will only play video only for about 5 minutes then it drops the stream.

Also, stane1983, is it possible for me to just copy over the proper files and use viossons kernel instead of yours, considering they are the same version and all? i ask because theirs runs at 900mhz and yours at 750mhz. your kernel isn't compiled from source so this should be possible right? or will there be major issues?

UPDATE: When playing a very large (14GB) mkv of tron legacy from SDA1 hdd, movie will play for a minute then stop, hard drive is spinning like crazy, total movie player crash.

UPDATE: BUG: Google Voice search no longer works. Even when reinstalling version from market, still crash upon using. missing library file : libvoicesearch.so , because system partition runs out of space during firmware install, market update files never get installed.

UPDATE: while google earth is installed in /data userspace, libearthmobile.so (whick is 15MBs!) is still installed in /system/lib. all libs and files should be moved to userspace as well.

Google earth... You can remove /system/lib/libearthmobile.so, it is installed with market_patch.zip to system partition, forgot to remove it from zip file.

New file is located at /data/data/com.google.earth/lib/libearthmobile.so

Which visson's fw do you use? Give me link to fw. I use visson's fw kernel from last M1 ICS release which I have (which is 4-23). Will use kernel from version you provide me, just need to edit init.rc and repack fw...

About expanding /system partition, I believe partitions are defined in bootloader for which I don't have sources (I do have kernel and bootloader sources only for M3 chipsets and for M1 chipset gingerbread release - which does not work for ICS)... But for now we have 15Mb more space left because of google earth lib I forgot to remove from update package...

Upvote 0
already removed google earth and gmail from market update. they can be had on play store. hey stane1983, do you happen to also have your own build of 2.3.4GB?

was it you stane1983 i saw in another forum talking about usb always on in sleep so you could wake up the box by mouse or usb keyboard? i think it was...maybe. can i ask a favor then? can i get a build with the usb power management like normal so my usb hard disk will sleep when i'm not using the device?

UPDATE: i was mistaken. unit runs at 900mhz under GB kernel. ICS visson kernel runs at 750mhz. and actually down clocks further to 600 and maybe lower. hurr durp...

Upvote 0
already removed google earth and gmail from market update. they can be had on play store. hey stane1983, do you happen to also have your own build of 2.3.4GB?

was it you stane1983 i saw in another forum talking about usb always on in sleep so you could wake up the box by mouse or usb keyboard? i think it was...maybe. can i ask a favor then? can i get a build with the usb power management like normal so my usb hard disk will sleep when i'm not using the device?

Yeah, I talked about that issue on xda forum, but didn't get to the solution. I do have old GB fw releases, I have GB sources (2.3.4). Basically that's all I officially have for m1 board. My sources are actually for m3 board, but with kernel for m1 board, android works.

I never managed to do anything more with usb. It's kernel issue, so since I don't have kernel sources with configuration that will boot ICS I can't do anything about it right now...

Once more, you have firmware for atv-108 c03ref which runs at 900 MHz?

Upvote 0

UPDATE: i was mistaken. unit runs at 900mhz under GB kernel. ICS visson kernel runs at 750mhz. and actually down clocks further to 600 and maybe lower. hurr durp...

Default kernel configs for GB are min freq 300 mhz, max 750 mhz. I overclocked my kernel to 500 mhz min, max 900 mhz (governor conservative), better performance... using governor performance (900 mhz constantly) it gives way better results... but it heats more...

Upvote 0
on my GB atv-108. it runs at 900mhz. top speed. last offical visson release from november. and i added some nice heatsinks to my proc and ram to control thermal issues.

photo.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EDL2XW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002CZHN6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LC54ZY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

these are links for the stuff i got for my atv-108 to make this all easier. heatsinks are pretty cheap..very nice. the next two are cables for firmware management. one to hook up hdmi to my dvi monitor, and the other to run from usb of host computer to ttl uart on motherboard. then inject new firmware straight to nand for testing rather than sdcard update. awesome!

UPDATE: I can consistently make videoplayer crash by playing 14GB tron legacy mkv with DTS audio. movie stops playing after a minute, time counter continues to run tho. videoplayer totally crashed after that...restart needed. DTS audio works great btw. does it work for you? ac3 still a no go for me.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i7fv8i

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I can consistently make videoplayer crash by playing 14GB tron legacy mkv with DTS audio. movie stops playing after a minute, time counter continues to run tho. videoplayer totally crashed after that...restart needed. DTS audio works great btw. does it work for you? ac3 still a no go for me.

Download DCA dts files.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Now I'm in the mood.... I wanted to upload my last fw, but will not until I do dts and ac3.... have an idea, read some stuff on the net...

Will post soon :)

Upvote 0
can i get some links of what you read? im curious to learn about ac3 and whatnot....

I'm doing google search for audiodsp_codec_ac3, ac3+amlogic etc and reading.

I tried without success to add .bin and .checksum files from my and visson's gb releases, from cm9 build from fun_ on xda developers.... without any luck... so far.

For now I'm without ideas... I was happy too soon :(

UPDATE: I do have ac3 license installed in efuse, it was installed with GB rom and it works with GB. I looked at sources, seems that there are some unimplemented methods of reading and writing efuse license.

UPDATE2: Will try to use LibPlayer libs from GB source tree...

Upvote 0
I would like to ask for help as I bricked my tv box while trying to upgrade from 2.3.4 to ICS.
I tried to upgrade using the ATV-108 firmware but now it doesn't boot into recovery menu.
Tried to do a recovery SD card that i gather from google searches but still couldn't revived it.

My tv box is similar to "Colonel Zap's Blog: GV-13 Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich TV-Box Review" except that it comes with Gingerbread 2.3.4.
(Sorry that I cannot post a URL as this is my first posting)

I would appreciate if anyone could help me on this.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

here is app:

Download DeviceChecker.apk from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Put it to your stick, install it and run it.

It will display you the info about your product (basically reads /system/build.prop).

If you have name/device/board = c03ref
and your product is Visson ATV-108, you can install my firmware withouth problems.

Update: I'm uploading my new fw release, so if you're planing update, wait one more hour.... :)

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

here is app:

Download DeviceChecker.apk from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Put it to your stick, install it and run it.

It will display you the info about your product (basically reads /system/build.prop).

If you have name/device/board = c03ref
and your product is Visson ATV-108, you can install my firmware withouth problems.

Update: I'm uploading my new fw release, so if you're planing update, wait one more hour.... :)
stane1983, did you get my PM?

Upvote 0
Changelog:

- DTS works (thanx to grindinonyourm)
- Earth, Google+, Maps and Superuser moved to userspace
- Superuser needs to be started before first use, otherwise it wont handle su requests
- V.play networking app layout fixes
- may be some other changes I forgot to mention

grindinonyourm, I never managed to reproduce your V.play networking and FileBrowser bug you reported... can you give me more details on that one? Also about big movies, I don't have large movies like this one. My colegue tested 10 Gb mkv over network, runs just fine. I will download something big and will give it a test.

Known bugs:
- AC3 still doesn't work
- Voice search doesn't work, have to investigate it

Firmware link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lngquh

For new readers, read my earlier posts for any Q&A (if your device is compatible with this fw, how to know which device you have...). I will make a FAQ this weekend and will publish it.

Upvote 0
hey stane, i got voice search working...if you are going to use the market update version that comes with your firmware, you manually will have to copy over libvoicesearh.so into /system/lib of your update.zip,otherwise remove all traces of voice search from market patch.zip and use download from play store, or use apk, version 2.1.4. i can upload apk if youd like,

also, when i use my ipazzport wireless usb keyboard/air mouse , space bar does NOT pause movie.

Upvote 0
hey stane, i got voice search working...if you are going to use the market update version that comes with your firmware, you manually will have to copy over libvoicesearh.so into /system/lib of your update.zip,otherwise remove all traces of voice search from market patch.zip and use download from play store, or use apk, version 2.1.4. i can upload apk if youd like,

also, when i use my ipazzport wireless usb keyboard/air mouse , space bar does NOT pause movie.

Voice search uses only libvoicesearch.so, right? Upload apk somewhere if you already have working one, I will add it to patch.zip to be installed in userspace area. I'm not sure why, but I can't find voice search. Maybe some IP filtering market does... don't know.

About spacebar not doing play/pause... seems that I don't have keymaping for that device... Can you connect your receiver to your pc and post me vid and pid of that device?

Upvote 0
uploading a pretty big file of useful stuff for ya right now...be done in a bit..keep yer eyes peeled..

HID\VID_0C45&PID_8888

ipazzport model : KP-810-16

http://www.ipazzport.com/16.html

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ry62a2

copy these to your /etc/permissions folder and enjoy full market.

UPDATE: Stane1983 good stuff sent, check inbox for pm.

UPDATE: voice search i think only uses the voice search apk and the lib.so and thats all.

Also, stane1983, have you had time to try anything to fix netflix or sleep timer for display?

Upvote 0
uploading a pretty big file of useful stuff for ya right now...be done in a bit..keep yer eyes peeled..

HID\VID_0C45&PID_8888

ipazzport model : KP-810-16

Mini wireless keyboard with ir remote

Download full_permissions.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

copy these to your /etc/permissions folder and enjoy full market.

UPDATE: Stane1983 good stuff sent, check inbox for pm.

UPDATE: voice search i think only uses the voice search apk and the lib.so and thats all.

Also, stane1983, have you had time to try anything to fix netflix or sleep timer for display?

Thanx for good stuff :)

About netflix and sleep timer, I didnt get any time to do that. In next few days I will move to M3 board to see how all this is working on M3. Also, implementation of sleep timer I assume it would be good to add in MoviePlayer? That would be the easiest way... or in settings (much more coding) on system basis for example, go to sleep at xx:xx am/pm... will see, probably will go with MediaPlayer implementation first.

And yeah, if we make some progress on ac3 or stuff above, I'll build new fw for m1 board right away. I cannot maintain both c03ref and f16ref builds at the same time. That's how build system works... If I want to switch target platform I have to clean all build folders first then build the new one... and building takes aprox. 2 hours... Yeah, well.... I'm planning to get quad-core processor for that machine, just didn't yet... :)

Btw, does anybody know, if I already have netflix account, can I use it from country where netflix is not officially available? Asking 'cause it would be easier to test and debug netflix issues...

And yeah, me and my fw are mentioned and listed on 4pda.ru russian forum... invited them to join this thread if they have any ideas, ac3 solution or stuff like that...

Link: Android Google TV Media Player - 4PDA

Upvote 0
Anyone have Netflix working on ICS 4.0.3? - SlateDroid.com

see post 12 and on...this is the exact problem ive been having with netflix, even before the issues started with your new firmware. which i now get video with. no audio. and video only plays for a couple of minutes then cuts just like this other post says. and i gotta beg you, don't jump off M1 yet! im two features away from perfection! netflix, and the sleep mode. and with the sleep mode, does amlogic android have display sleep like other devices? cos thats all i really want back. videoplayer gets wakelock on screen, then movie ends, then unit puts display to sleep after X time, then my projector can auto sleep. and im still pluggin away the ac3 problem. i had it working at one point and not DTS, then the other day i got DTS and no ac3, so i've had it working. i'll keep trying all the .bin files i got cos one of them worked great!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...bin&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

post #185 or so...says they got ac3 fixed! wtf?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones