• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android acting weirdly

rise_up

Sep 17, 2021
Android device is acting weirdly, am on android 11 beta , realme device , power saving mode not working suddenly, and always display auto screen off goes back to 15 seconds even after changing it back to 30 seconds, am changing it again and again but next time when I check, it goes back to 15 seconds automatically. Can someone explain what's happening?

Have you tried rebooting the phone?

If it still does it, try booting into safe mode (will mean booting while pressing some button combination or sequence - that varies between devices, and I've no experience of Realme, but a quick web search will find it). What safe mode does is disable all user-installed apps. If the problem goes away in safe mode and returns when you reboot normally that will tell you that one of your apps is the cause - the trickier bit then is working out which. Though if it is an app it will have to be something with the privileges to interfere with system settings, which should narrow it down. Given the things that are misbehaving I'd be very wary of any "power saver" or "system optimisation" type app you might have installed (you generally don't need such things anyway), or of any "automation" apps (could something be triggering a profile you created?).

Of course another possibility is in the word "beta". Android 11 has been around for a while (I've been using it for more than a year), but if Realme's version for your device is a beta it's possible that you have met a bug in the software. But either way, it's really hard to guess what specifically might cause this. Does it happen all the time, or in certain conditions (when you've recently used some app, at a certain time of day, when you are plugged in, ...) - anything more than just the fact that it happens might give some clue as to the cause. But unfortunately at this moment all I can do is agree that it's weird.

Upvote 0
Yes , tried rebooting into safe mode, resetting all system settings to factory. Now it's working normal again. Thanks. Btw , does beta versions have security related issue? Like as its not stable, can it be compromised/hacked? Previously also I have posted a thread regarding finding a invisible downloadfile.bin which I cudnt remove , is there possibility that file causing abnormal issues? Here is the thread link- https://androidforums.com/threads/unknown-file-found-in-download-folder.1337657/

Upvote 0
Also this is the file, if some android super duper expert/developer in this website can find what it is, I will be glad https://we.tl/t-kZAOIB5YJk

It's a 5MB something called downloadfile.bin. Where did you actually get this file, which might give a clue as to what it's for.

.bin usually means binary type files, which be anything from firmware images, to things like game ROMs that you play in an emulator.

FWIW I loaded into Hex Fiend, and this is what it shows at the start.
Dos this mean anything to anyone?
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 13.15.55.png

Reactions: rise_up
Upvote 0
Yes , tried rebooting into safe mode, resetting all system settings to factory. Now it's working normal again. Thanks. Btw , does beta versions have security related issue? Like as its not stable, can it be compromised/hacked? Previously also I have posted a thread regarding finding a invisible downloadfile.bin which I cudnt remove , is there possibility that file causing abnormal issues? Here is the thread link- https://androidforums.com/threads/unknown-file-found-in-download-folder.1337657/
I doubt the beta will be more insecure than the regular software. Generally they are fairly up to date on security patches. And, although I'd not want to dissuade anyone from taking information security seriously, the risks of "hacking" of a phone are also regularly overstated (and remember that almost all hacks and malware infections don't come from some remote attack like you see in a TV show but from weakly-secured accounts or users installing dodgy apps).

Upvote 0
I doubt the beta will be more insecure than the regular software. Generally they are fairly up to date on security patches. And, although I'd not want to dissuade anyone from taking information security seriously, the risks of "hacking" of a phone are also regularly overstated (and remember that almost all hacks and malware infections don't come from some remote attack like you see in a TV show but from weakly-secured accounts or users installing dodgy apps).

True that.. still somebody on this site adviced me to install APK from unofficial sites. I prefer sticking to essential apps rather than installing random apps from unknown sources

Upvote 0
Does it means something??

What are you talking about?

You asked what https://we.tl/t-kZAOIB5YJk was, so I tapped it and it opened a site on my browser.

I looked around for a minute, found the 'about' section, and posted the link to it.
True that.. still somebody on this site adviced me to install APK from unofficial sites. I prefer sticking to essential apps rather than installing random apps from unknown sources

What 'unofficial' site?

Is Google the 'official' site?
or is Google just saying that all others are 'unofficial'?

Google is the single largest purveyor of malware filled junk apps on the planet- proof of this is in the fact that virtually every scam ad online the link will take you to an equally scammy app on Google Play.

"Warning, your device has been 28.4% infected by viruses! Click the link below or your data will be lost in 24 hours!"
<Link takes you to stupid antivirus app on Google Play Store>

Upvote 0
What are you talking about?

You asked what https://we.tl/t-kZAOIB5YJk was, so I tapped it and it opened a site on my browser.

It's a 5MB something called downloadfile.bin. Where did you actually get this file, which might give a clue as to what it's for.

.bin usually means binary type files, which be anything from firmware images, to things like game ROMs that you play in an emulator.

View attachment 159070

Then how did he got the file and not landed into about section of the website?

Upvote 0
I've no problem installing an apk from an "unofficial" site, provided it's one that is trustworthy. So F-Droid, sure, I probably trust the stuff there more than the Play Store. I'm happy to find an old apk version at apkmirror.com because the people running that site (one of the established android news sites) have a reputation to maintain and can't risk filling it with malware or warez. I'm also happy to install an app from the developer's own site rather than the Play Store (provided I trust the developer, which is however also a requirement when installing from the Play Store). On the other hand, any site that offers paid apps for free is by definition risky: after all, they are already committing theft and violating copyright, so why assume they'd balk at increasing their profits by hosting malware-infected apps? And any site that is uncurated, that allows people to upload and distribute whatever apps they like, should obviously be avoided (e.g. I would never touch aptoide - I know that they claim that they have their own safe repository that's distinct from those hosted by others, but frankly they have a history of being too tolerant of warez for me to ever trust them).

But what are "essential apps"? I use almost no pre-installed apps because there is almost always a better (for my needs) alternative somewhere.

Upvote 0

View attachment 159070

Bro, thanks for trying to help, I came to know that nobody in this forum willing to help regarding finding this file even so many developers and tech engineers around.. can't you ask any of your tech friend who can find out what type of file or malware/ransomeware it is? Much help would be appreciated

Upvote 0
If I cud have found the stupid file and deleted it, why I would be bothered about it again & again and keep making the thread longer & longer?

That is a very good question.

Here are some more...

If you cannot find it, how did you upload a link to it on the cloud?

Also, the problem you describe having sounds like you have installed a battery saver app, or some other app that has the same sort of thing.
Booster, cleaner, cooler, RAM expander, anything like that.

Have you installed anything like that?

Upvote 0
That is a very good question.

Here are some more...

If you cannot find it, how did you upload a link to it on the cloud?

Also, the problem you describe having sounds like you have installed a battery saver app, or some other app that has the same sort of thing.
Booster, cleaner, cooler, RAM expander, anything like that.

Have you installed anything like that?

As I have stated earlier, probably you dint followed what I said earlier about finding the file, if you go up in the thread, you ll know the answere why I can't find the file and how I uploaded it..

And for starters, I don't believe in antivirus apps, cleaner, battery saver and all junk apps which fool people. I am not a android or tech expert, but atleast am not dumb and noob.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Well, good- at least you don't have a junk app causing the problem.

I appologize if I missed how you uploaded the file.
My work takes my mind away from all else, and requires too much of my concentration.

Anyway, I am lost as to how you could have the file to upload and yet cannot find it or get rid of it on your device.

If the device is not rooted, then any downloaded file should be accessible to the user.

Are you merely searching through your downloads list, like from the Downloads app- or are you using a file manager?

Downloads will either take you directly to the file or give you a notification that it has been moved or no longer exists, or give you options of apps to open the file with.

In the case of a long press of the file, an option to delete should appear.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones