• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android Kitkat 4.4.2 Release

Which operating system is better?

• Android 4.3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm on the deodexed and debloated 4.4.2 rom and seemed to notice a better ram management than 4.1.2. That is obvious and many others can vouch for this. But I will say it does seem a little more buggy. Xposed is really needed to remove some limitations on kitkat. kitkat is snappier and more responsive. 4.1. is a 2 year old technology. A good technology but alot of speed, etc has been development in the last two years. jellybean was created when 720 and higher displays were barely on the market and same for RAM. There was alot of phones still active with very low ram. Kitkat just feels optimized more modern. Even though I think they could have implemented alot more features like IOS does every year. Especially when Apple made the leaps to Ios6,7,8.

I am running setCPU performance gov, xposed framework,modules, greenify, boot manager, and a few other non placebo apps. It is a little buggy I think but maybe its me. Link2sd keeps my internal memory at 800 mg to 1gb free so that also helps. And a lightweight launcher (currently Google Now Launcher) and I'm very happy. I just wished there was more development for modules like there are ios jailbreak tweaks. There are so many things I could do on my iphone that I would love to do on droid.

All in all I highly recommend kitkat over jellybean. I'm a poweruser but maybe somebody that just wants to text and make some calls and check weather or facebook every now and than may not be care

Reactions: bmartin70
Upvote 0
I just wanted to add for guys on KITKAT regarding SELinux. In kitkat SELinux was changed to enforcing, on 4.1.2 it was set on permissive. Meaning mandatory access control system built into the Linux kernel which is security based around permissions. In simpler terms it can block an app trying to gain root apps. This seems to be able to be changed in a number of ways but I'm not an expert on the subject. So I wanted some kind of CPU,kernel, app that does more so I can ditch setCPU so Kernel Tuner 2014 or 3C Toolbox came into play. I changed it back to the pre kitkat of permissive instead of enforcing. It might not do much but it might help one or 2 of those apps that just doesn't work on kitkat after you updated.

I downloaded Kernel Tuner 2014 since it has the basic CPU tuning the older 2013 cpu apps did and than some. For the all out do everything app 3C Tool box or tool box pro. Of course profiles, etc are involved.

This is what I have set with Kernel Tuner 2014

Scheduler - Noop
Governor - Performance
Both Cores Maxed
Core 2 Governor is on Interactive or Ondemand (playing with these)

Screen off
Both Cores at a minimum
Governor - on demand
Scheduler - Deadline (Dont think it really matters to much when the phone is asleep)

I havent set a profile screen off yet. But in Setcpu powersave gov wasnt available for my device.

Cant make any GPU settings in Kernel Tuner because are gpu isn't supported yet 3C ToolBox Pro might be supported but I haven't tested it yet.

With the maxed out Cores and performance governor and Greenify xposed donation version and screen off profile. Being a power user. My CPU temp during normal use 80-87 degrees fahrenheit and 110-115 during strong screen on use. Never over 118-120 degrees. On a full battery in a normal day I get 7 hours of screen on use and a little music hear and there. And arond 20% battery at bed time. And it is oh so snappy when its set on these settings and definately noticeable.

I'm gonna play around with read ahead cache size and some other settings.

Upvote 0
You have absolutely explained everything down to the wire. This phone would be the best of we could get kernel source. Custom roms for kikat, cm12 lollipop possibly. Right now a kernel would help us a whole lot
CM11/CM12 can be built now. You can use the stock prebuilt kernel without the source. May need a few ramdisk edits. If the kernel source becomes available, you can switch to that in your BoardConfig. No need to wait for source ZTE may never release. Happy building :)

Upvote 0
I just got the update OTA and it failed I had uninstalled root on my phone prior to attempting to update and did a full system restore but it still didn't work. the only thing I can think is it didn't reinstall some of the apps that I had removed with titanium backup. Mostly the Browser from what i could gather. anyone have the stock apk that I could get to try again with?

Upvote 0
I just got the update OTA and it failed I had uninstalled root on my phone prior to attempting to update and did a full system restore but it still didn't work. the only thing I can think is it didn't reinstall some of the apps that I had removed with titanium backup. Mostly the Browser from what i could gather. anyone have the stock apk that I could get to try again with?
If you want to get the 4.4.2 update via OTA, you can flash the official ZTE 4.1.2 rom from stock recovery to get you back to full stock. The OTA will work after. That zip also contains all stock apps if you are just looking for those.

Upvote 0
Hello today everyone. I have a Zte Max it was root and was working good. I seen the update tried to download it, it then failed saying I was missing an apk. So then I wait until I received the OTA updated. I then unroot my phone and tried the update again. It failed once more then I factory reset my phone and then tried the method on this forum. After wipe all the data and tried to update it manually I then receive this

E: footer is wrong
E: signature verification failed
package corrupt.

I get that on each of the methods, I had this issue before when I was trying to root for the first time. how could I fix this issue and get on 4.4.2 and have root access.
Thnaks for reading and I am thankful for the help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones