• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android Kitkat 4.4.2 Release

Which operating system is better?

• Android 4.3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm not too sure. I have tried all the methods to updating. But my recovery now looks different after I factory reset.
If you are rooted, install PhilZ following this thread
http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-philz-touch-6-19-2-need-testers.832497/

If you are not rooted and you are running 4.1.2, you should be able to root using framaroot, towelroot, or kingo. A Google search should help you find them. Once rooted, install PhilZ using the link above.

Once PhilZ is installed, flash the deodexed rom and the partition updater from this thread
http://androidforums.com/threads/zte-max-stock-b06-4-4-2-deodexed-and-unmodified.896210/

Upvote 0
If you are rooted, install PhilZ following this thread
http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-philz-touch-6-19-2-need-testers.832497/

If you are not rooted and you are running 4.1.2, you should be able to root using framaroot, towelroot, or kingo. A Google search should help you find them. Once rooted, install PhilZ using the link above.

Once PhilZ is installed, flash the deodexed rom and the partition updater from this thread
http://androidforums.com/threads/zte-max-stock-b06-4-4-2-deodexed-and-unmodified.896210/

ok.. I have tried to get PhilZ but im having trouble. I'm going to try tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I have the new update & sucks. My power button doesn't work now, so I can't turn my phone off. Since we can't take our batteries out I have no way to restart my one. The home button which use take us to the recent apps now takes us to that "ok Google" thing, so now I have access to my recent apps. I like the design the font is pretty cool, but I'd rather have my power button back. Is there a to go back to an older version? Oh yeah pressing power button + vol down doesn't screenshot any more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the new update & sucks. My power button doesn't work now, so I can't turn my phone off. Since we can't take our batteries out I have no way to restart my one. The home button which use take us to the recent apps now takes us to that "ok Google" thing, so now I have access to my recent apps. I like the design the font is pretty cool, but I'd rather have my power button back. Is there a to go back to an older version? Oh yeah pressing power button + vol down doesn't screenshot any more.
Yes. Go to this thread and download stormer_412_partitions.zip. Then install any 4.1.2 rom you wish ;)

WARNING: You will get notifications to update to 4.4.2 when running 4.1.2 roms. You can try fotakill.apk to prevent the notifications, not sure if it will work. You can find it with a Google search.

Reactions: dolfinluvr
Upvote 0
So since Cm11 or cm 12 could be built for ours phones with ramdisk edits and now that SuperR is working on a kernel for us. Is a modified kernel a better option than a stock kernel cm rom. Or is the modified kernel give us the abilities to go other custom rom routes. Obviously the development for our phones depends on SuperR ultimately which i love him for :) SuperR i dont know how much thanks or support you've recieved but your hard work is really appreciated on here. Without you we wouldnt have gotten a debloated and deodexed kitkat rom and kept root the easy way. But back to topic. What does a kernel source give us. Me being a intermediate user meaning. I can root, flash zips do alot more than a standard user and im willing to test alot as this is my main hobby. But im not a dev but definately love playing with build props, system settings and a cpu settings. Im pretty happy with a performance gov maybe some more i/o scheduler options as it looks like we just have noop, deadline, cfq available. But i couldnt imagine having a custom rom like the moto and Samsung guys have.

Ill help in testing.

Upvote 0
It might take a while to get the kernel finished since i don't own one of these devices. First I need to get it booting in it's pure stock form. Will look into it a bit tomorrow if I get some time. Once it is booting, I will add some goodies like more governors, i/o schedulers, and hopefully o/c.

Upvote 0
It might take a while to get the kernel finished since i don't own one of these devices. First I need to get it booting in it's pure stock form. Will look into it a bit tomorrow if I get some time. Once it is booting, I will add some goodies like more governors, i/o schedulers, and hopefully o/c.

Whar about init.d support etc. I ran term init to get init.d scripts working but not sure if its 100% scripts are iffy on what devices there on but kitkats oom adj are brutal that and i guess lmk. Not anywhere near as good management as 4.1.2. I could have 200 mb of free ram and chrome or opera will reload a webpage i hate it

Upvote 0
Hey I was told to port a rom from the warp 4g. The rom was the lilipop one on their forum. I was told the boot img just needed to be changed. The phone boots but Gray screen comes on. I flashed unbrick tool and the recovery is still grey. How do I recover the device? Partitions have been changed such as sbl1 and a bunch of other stuff

Upvote 0
Hey I was told to port a rom from the warp 4g. The rom was the lilipop one on their forum. I was told the boot img just needed to be changed. The phone boots but Gray screen comes on. I flashed unbrick tool and the recovery is still grey. How do I recover the device? Partitions have been changed such as sbl1 and a bunch of other stuff
The Lollipop themed rom from the Warp 4G has partitions included. When it flashed it wrote over your partitions and bricked your phone. I will make you another unbrick tool that will fix it but it will take a while to put together. It is a good idea to avoid flashing roms from other devices unless they are properly modified first. Sorry you were misinformed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones