• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android or iOS

im scottish with a strong glasgow accent so no human understands me

fixed. :D

i am an android fanboy, but i admit lately i'm leaning to ios lately. you see, i have two little ones, and the education development for ios just seems light years ahead of android. i've been waiting for some android inroads, and quite frankly i'm just not seeing it...or i should say i'm not seeing ios threatened anytime soon in this market.

not sure how much longer i can wait before i need to invest a few pesos in apple.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
apple seems to just have a better or more reliable product.

Better? Perhaps for some, but that's subjective.

More reliable? I'm now on my fourth Android handset, and every one of them has been trouble-free. That's just my experience, but it's enough to keep me interested. I also see enough Apple products with problems to know that, like all complex electronic devices, they're also far from perfect.

I know it's hard for a lot of die hard android lovers to admit but I try to stay unbiased when it comes to technology.

That reads as if you're deliberately inviting confrontation, which I'm sure you didn't intend. ;)

"Better" is open to interpretation based on the end-user's requirement and little else.

Reactions: Stannis the Mannis
Upvote 0
That's how I feel. I love android and everything I can do with it but apple seems to just have a better or more reliable product. I know it's hard for a lot of die hard android lovers to admit but I try to stay unbiased when it comes to technology.

I've used Android products ranging the gamut from outright hyper-low-end (30USD outside of contract) to the HTC One and Nexus 10 (the cream of the crop, in my opinion). Only device I've ever had with reliability issues that were NOT my fault? The Kyocera Rise at 30USD (70 normal price). I don't really know how you can claim its "hard to admit" for Android lovers when I've yet to see any reliability issues.

If we want to get into ecosystems, sure, the add-on ecosystem for Apple is more powerful, but excluding educational apps, Android's is rapidly becoming more mature than Apple's, in my opinion. After all, Apple gladly let me purchase an app my iPhone is compatible with FROM the device. Android won't even show the apps, much less let me install it via web interface (iTunes will, again, gladly let you buy an app you cannot use). I found out later you have to use their web interface to even see which apps are compatible with which iOS

That reads as if you're deliberately inviting confrontation, which I'm sure you didn't intend. ;)

Dang straight.

EDIT: I'll add that my iPhone 3G, the 3GS I'm getting, and a 3GS I worked with all have identical damage to the same piece of its case, the 3G's power button is only partially functional, and I've seen lots of reports of iPhone/iPad issues.

Upvote 0
You're that did and it certainly wasn't intentional.

I can't speak for all that technical stuff most of you on here can so my opinion comes from the everyday average Joe. I think minor things happen on phones that tech savvy people don't even blink over because you know the immediate work around and probably don't even think or realize you do it but the rest of us do.

In my very minimal experience my moto x freezes and iPhone never did and my moto x lags all the time. A lot time when playing games it gets so slow I can't even play. None of my iPhones ever did that.

From the way a lot of people talk on here I get the impression that they don't like apple, perhaps that they even hate apple. Which leads me to believe that they are very biased. When people are that biased on a subject it's hard to believe all the negative things they say about it.

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0
I have a low-end Pioneer car stereo in my truck, and it not only can control my gs3 but could also play music from my gingerbread Samsung transform ultra, which was an entry-level android device. But I personally like to control the music from the music app on my phone. I place my phone in it's mount on my dash, plug in usb and the 3.5mm stereo cord that's plugged into my head unit. Not only do I like that interface better than any car stereo controls I've seen, the sound quality is also much better than through the usb cable. And the galaxy s3's camera is incredible. Whether it's shooting still images or full hd video, I can't believe the quality.

Upvote 0
In my very minimal experience my moto x freezes and iPhone never did and my moto x lags all the time. A lot time when playing games it gets so slow I can't even play. None of my iPhones ever did that.

You're basing your assumption on a single data point. A more accurate statement might be "iPhones seem to be better and more reliable than my Moto X". :)

From the way a lot of people talk on here I get the impression that they don't like apple, perhaps that they even hate apple.
It's an Android enthusiast forum, so that (perhaps unfortunately) is inevitable. I don't think the various Apple forums are any different - there's a history of tribalism on both sides. It's usually easy to spot though, and just as easy to ignore in favour of balanced discussion.

Upvote 0

That sounds like issues with that particular Motorola telephone. They're not all like that. I've not seen or used a Motorola Android so can't comment on them myself. Lenovo now owns them, so might start seeing more of them now. I've got a Lenovo and a Samsung, and they don't freeze or lag.

From the way a lot of people talk on here I get the impression that they don't like apple, perhaps that they even hate apple. Which leads me to believe that they are very biased. When people are that biased on a subject it's hard to believe all the negative things they say about it.

I personally don't like the iPhones because IMO they're overpriced for what they are, and the Gucci level pricing they have here. Put it this way I can't justify spending $1,000 on cellphone, the buyer's remorse would be too much for me.

Upvote 0

Well, I guess some of us are biased. As Slug said, that's why we congregate here. :)

Biased doesn't necessarily mean ignorant. There are plenty of guys on these forums that mix and match both ecosystems and we receive generally balanced opinions in our discussions comparing the two OSes. We don't really do hate here so please don't say that.

I think Mike spoke for many here in voicing the main complaint that makes iPhone repellent to myself at least. They are over-priced.

If people are biased it might be for a reason.

iPhones are good devices and most android users on this forum look at the alternative technologies because they love technology. We are not blind to the charms of a nice piece of kit. But personally I prefer having a computer in my pocket rather than a console. I know that iphones are technically smartphones because you can install and use apps, but to me they seem more like feature phones. But that's because I root my phone and like to have more control over my device.

If you look at the android app Tasker, the possibilities for automating and controlling your phone simply blow your mind.

We don't hate iphones, it's just that they can seem a bit meh in comparison.

Upvote 0
I think Mike spoke for many here in voicing the main complaint that makes iPhone repellent to myself at least. They are over-priced.

Oh they're horribly overpriced in the country where they're made. Even the iPhone 4, not the 4S, is around $600 here. Apple are playing the luxury product game here, along with the likes of Rolex and Gucci. Sure they've been hurt by it as well when Xi Jinping started clamping down on corruption, extravagance and excess. iPhone ads are banned in China. A student was refused employment just because he owned an iPhone. Other thing especially here, think many people want larger screens these days, the iPhone 4 screen seems tiny now, to me at least.

Reactions: SkyJackpot
Upvote 0
200 of what pricing unit?

To me, the Galaxy S4, One, and iPhone 5 are all expensive, but I'd only call the S4 overpriced, really. That's because I hate plastic-body devices.

My opinions are formed based on my personal experiences. Now that my 3GS has arrived (yes, I know, 4-5 year old tech), I plan to delve more in-depth into the iOS ecosystem to experience it, but claiming iPHones are less defective than Android phones in general is unfair. You should compare like-to-like. iPHone to HTC One, Galaxy S4, LG G2, or Moto X, which you did. Comparing the iPhone to my Kyocera Rise would be like comparing a Mercedes-Benz SL500 to a Ford Ka. You'd be more apt comparing that SL500 to the Audi R8 or BMW M3 GT3 (the HTC One or Galaxy S4, respectively).

Upvote 0
200 of what pricing unit?

To me, the Galaxy S4, One, and iPhone 5 are all expensive, but I'd only call the S4 overpriced, really. That's because I hate plastic-body devices.

Much of the time people are going to be putting them in plastic or rubber cases anyway. So can't really tell what the phone itself is made from.

That's one thing I've certainly noticed about the black anodised aluminium iPhone 5. Can often tell how much use or care they've had, or whether they were in a case or not. By how many dings, bashes and other "battle scars" they've got....LOL. ...because the anodising has chipped, scratched or worn through. Which can actually affect their resale value. On the other hand some plastics can be very resilient and not scar or break. After all most car bumpers and many suitcases are made from plastic(polypropylene). Think Samsung uses polycarbonate, which again is a tough plastic. Often protective sports equipment, safety helmets, motorcycle helmets and things are made from polycarbonate. I keep my Samsung in a rubber case, not really because it's fragile or want to keep it looking good. But because it's quite slippery and don't wish to drop it unnecessarily. I've already broken the glass on my Lenovo by dropping it, landed face down, and that wasn't in a case.

Reactions: davoid
Upvote 0
See Line is coming up same as WhatsApp.
View attachment 67629
"This app is not available in your country.". Obviously geo-restricted availability. Same with iTunes store in as well, neither WhatsApp or Line are available for iOS or Android here. So one has to use same messaging app as everyone else you know uses, which to me is mainly WeChat and Skype. And those are available everywhere AFAIK.

Tough Break, Cony and Brown really liven up the chat boxes, lol. Skype is great for video, but for just chat I find it very bland and "basic" looking! Can you get Viber in China? It's the fastest that I have found so far and does come with a wide variety of "stickers" and "stuff" to make it more interesting.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Nor, however, have my HTCs - even the 2010 model Desire.
Well I'd rate my HTC One well above my daughter's iPhone. But I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro. So I think I can say no hate there.

Upvote 0
Tough Break, Cony and Brown really liven up the chat boxes, lol. Skype is great for video, but for just chat I find it very bland and "basic" looking! Can you get Viber in China? It's the fastest that I have found so far and does come with a wide variety of "stickers" and "stuff" to make it more interesting.

Can get Viber in China, but I don't think many people use it here. Most people I know are on WeChat or QQ, including a couple of close friends in the UK I often like to IM. Who also use Skype for video calls.

WeChat can do stickers ok, that's partly how it's monetised, some are free.
1392720191065.jpg
Personally I detest Spongbob Square Pants. And would prefer not to see it in IMs. Although some of the Chinese new year stickers were nice.

Upvote 0
You're that did and it certainly wasn't intentional.

I can't speak for all that technical stuff most of you on here can so my opinion comes from the everyday average Joe. I think minor things happen on phones that tech savvy people don't even blink over because you know the immediate work around and probably don't even think or realize you do it but the rest of us do.

It just seems like you're judging all of Android based on a single experience, which is a common thing that I notice and I don't view that as a valid argument. Also this is the first time I've heard about the Moto X lagging "all the time". My G2 has never lagged nor has it ever froze/crashed, high end Android phones are just as reliable as any iPhone which is not immune to freezes or crashes itself, this is a common misconception that I notice.

Upvote 0
Can get Viber in China, but I don't think many people use it here. Most people I know are on WeChat or QQ, including a couple of close friends in the UK I often like to IM. Who also use Skype for video calls.

WeChat can do stickers ok, that's partly how it's monetised, some are free.
View attachment 67725
Personally I detest Spongbob Square Pants. And would prefer not to see it in IMs. Although some of the Chinese new year stickers were nice.

I also use We Chat, although I sadly missed the Chinese New Years Stickers, lol. In general their stickers are not as cool as on Viber and Line, but once again you have to go with what's available to you there, which is why I can see that most of the people you know there have QQ! Can you get Kakao chat there? Actually pretty neat, although if no one you know has it either I guess the point is mute!

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
How are iPhones more expensive? I paid 200 for both of mine and I paid the same for my moto x. I also thought that the Samsung galaxies and HTC one were both 200 when released as well.

You pay 200 up front for your subsidy payment, but carriers make you pay off the remaining amount (usually more than what you owe) by charging you higher service plan prices. That's why on all the carriers now if you buy a device at full retail up front or use their financing plan you get lower service plan prices.

For example, ignoring the data bucket portion, AT&T charges you 40 dollars per phone on contract, but only 25 or 15 dollars (depending on data bucket size) for a BYOP, full retail, or AT&T Next purchased phone. That's because that extra 15 or 25 dollars goes towards paying the remaining balance on the phone you bought so that the carrier doesn't have to eat the difference.

Upvote 0
Lol no there was no extra charge on my monthly bill to help pay off my iPhones. I don't even think they had that option a couple years ago and even if they did, I didn't do it. My phone was $200 and monthly bill was $80 with the iPhone which is the same as now with the moto x.

Just looked on amazon. IPhone 5 unlocked $575, galaxy s4 550 and htc one $525-550 all roughly. And all were $200 with any major provider with a new contract when first released.

So again, other than countries outside the US, how is the iPhone more expensive?

Upvote 0
I also use We Chat, although I sadly missed the Chinese New Years Stickers, lol. In general their stickers are not as cool as on Viber and Line, but once again you have to go with what's available to you there, which is why I can see that most of the people you know there have QQ! Can you get Kakao chat there? Actually pretty neat, although if no one you know has it either I guess the point is mute!

I've not heard of Kakao. But apparently there is a client available here. Not entirely sure if it's an official one though.
1392734286621.jpg
"Color stability will provide comfort!" :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Lol no there was no extra charge on my monthly bill to help pay off my iPhones. I don't even think they had that option a couple years ago and even if they did, I didn't do it. My phone was $200 and monthly bill was $80 with the iPhone which is the same as now with the moto x.

Just looked on amazon. IPhone 5 unlocked $575, galaxy s4 550 and htc one $525-550 all roughly. And all were $200 with any major provider with a new contract when first released.

So again, other than countries outside the US, how is the iPhone more expensive?

The reason why you didn't see the extra charge is because the carriers baked it into your service cost. They did this deceitfully to make consumers think they were saving money with a contract when in reality they weren't. It's further exemplified in prepaid plans. They're ridiculously cheap compared to postpaid plans because there's no subsidy repayment in them. T-Mobile called out all the other carriers of this practice last year when they introduced their new uncarrier plans and other carriers have begun to follow suit.

If there's one thing that rings true for all American businesses is that they never eat the cost of anything, they always pass it off on the customer. These phones really do cost 500-600+ dollars and the carrier isn't going to eat that difference. It's another reason why ETF's are 300+ dollars, it's to recoup the losses that they would have otherwise had if you had fulfilled your contract. Think about it, 200 up front + 350 for etf = 550. Which is the exact cost of the GS4.

Upvote 0
I love how some folks use a passive/aggressive approach to attacking the OP, I read another post from a member and he got picked apart and he wasn't trying to say anything negative about Android.

Then thier is another completely different conversation going on about IM apps lol...........

I give it 24 more hours and thier will be some name calling going on........

Now for the least important part of my post,
My opinion.

Both operating systems are just fine. It's all about what you prefer. My wife has an iPhone and she would never use anything else. She kept her iPhone 3 for three years and just upgraded to the 5s a while back and she loves it. I like and use Android, I love that I can change launchers, use different messaging apps and replace other stock apps as my little heart desires.
Steve Jobs was a crook, but that doesn't make the iPhone a bad phone lol

Anyhow.............
That's my 2 cents and in today's global economy 2 cents aren't worth much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones