• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another web loon bashes Google/Android

Thank you, MML. Like I said, you have to read between the lines in BGR's blog. There is iPhone fanaticism and he does tend to bring up the same old quibbles, but at the heart of it is frustration about what Android should be at the moment and it is not. Do I want it to look like an iPhone? Absolutely not. But do I want it to look, interact, feel and function better? Absolutely! Nothing wrong with the overall function of the music player, but it'd be nice if it looked better. Hire a gfx artist like they did for the Gallery, spruce it up. Add some musical EQ presets. How about control of the music player from the lock screen some how? These are terribly great ideas, but certainly better than the current execution.

Upvote 0
Hmmm. That was one of the worst reviews I have ever seen.

Before I get flamed, I'll explain where I'm coming from.

I am a long time Nokia user. Not because I'm a fanboy, but simply because they have been the ones to offer what I want. Recently however, Nokia have dropped the ball big time, putting far too much into that OVI rubbish (and it is rubbish) and not handsets. Nor OS.

Winmo's hardware is always behind, and on the few handsets it's not, they are too big, usually PDA sized.

Apple, meh. Not a huge fan of the phones, but the main stopping factor is the insane price. Handsets seem ok, but for what they cost? Complete joke (to me at least).

So Android it is. Sadly, the tech is still behind (look at handsets like the Omnia HD - brilliant phone, just a little too large for me).

So, having hopefully established I'm not a fanboy of any maker - which is daft in itself, it's not like they reward their casual fanboys, they pay for the handsets - I say again this review is nothing more than a silly little rant.

While he might make relevant points, it's completely lost within the diatribe he throws out.

Having not used Android much, I don't know if the issues he speaks about are true, but what I am sure about, is that I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything. His completely odd rant about it - with obvious feeling - makes everything he says untrustworthy.

So does he make good points? That's irrelivent, since his opinion is obviously biased.

I'm not defending Android, since I haven't used it much. But I say that for sure this 'review' is nothing of the sort.

Upvote 0
Anotherfanandroid....

First thing I notice is that you seem to trump iphones. A lot. So first thing I do is look at some of your past posts from different threads.

I am not calling you a fanboy, however you are seemingly biased to iphones. Reason I'm saying this, is you make the very classic habit of applying some things that are a matter of opinion as fact. A lot of things iphone you consider the best, while it's subject to user preferance.

The BGR review cannot be taken seriously, for the same reason. And also that there is an emotional influance in there.

I do not, at all think there is a case for some emotion in a review. It should be impartial as possible, and it's not.

Things like this:

I would imagine that most android users in the real world dont have that kind of connection towards their phones; I say this because when you see and talk to the average people who purchase the mt3g, the droid, and the hero, you realize that they are just seeking an iphone substitute; most would have purchased an iphone if they had the chance, the money, or At&T; soon enough, they realize that android is hard to get used to and does not do these essential tasks as easy as the other smart phones.

....point out utter bias. (my bold)

It has to be said, only fanboys give lines like that. Do you honestly think we all secretly want iphones? Or can't afford them?

Seriously, my 5800 suits me best right now, that's over N series, iphones, and whatever else you can suggest. Nearest anything came was the Omnia HD, which I bought and used for a while. Sadly, it was just a tad big enough to annoy me in everyday use. Otherwise it was absolutly fantastic. Cost isn't an issue if it's a phone suitable for me, but it has to be worth it.

I mod at Nokiausers.net and allaboutsymbian. And at the former I have very often discussed how I feel Nokia isn't bringing anything out worth mentioning recently. Hence me being on these forums, I'm seriously thinking of buying a Nexus.

I'm doing my reading, and looking up all the faults, issues and niggles people are having. Something anyone should do when seriously looking for a new phone. After all, it's going to be 100s of pounds that will be spent for something that's used often.

In exactly the same point I made about the BGR stuff, you might well make some good points in your post.

However, in that single line I quoted in bold, makes everything else you say totally irrelevent and not worth reading, because it points to some bias. And that bias could be making false issues out because you seem to want to trump one phone maker.

I am not defending Android, nor am I knocking any other OS/maker. I am pointing out why such reviews and posts are not worth making an opinion on.

Upvote 0
RATHER than focus on the NEGATIVE reviews... let's FOCUS on the POSITIVE ONES... here's a great OBJECTIVE, UNBIASES review of the Nexus One by ArsTechnica...

Google at the crossroads: a review of the Nexus One

:cool:
Wow. Nice to see a professional type of review, with benchmarks and actual data, as opposed to edgadget and BG, who's reviews were fluff, inaccurate, and lazily done.

Very nice job, ArsTechnica. It's nice to see that honesty, fairness and objective data have not been abandoned by everyone.

Upvote 0
Very nice job, ArsTechnica. It's nice to see that honesty, fairness and objective data have not been abandoned by everyone.

The only flaw in the data is not providing data for all the phones per benchmark. It seems like he is picking and choosing which phones to represent in each test. Being a scientist who has published, these graphs would be returned to the author to include all devices. The other thing is, he doesn't explain the differences between phones that are using the exact same SOC chipsets. Why are there variations? Also, some benchmarks required optimized drivers/software. These are variables he has not controlled for.

Upvote 0
The only flaw in the data is not providing data for all the phones per benchmark. It seems like he is picking and choosing which phones to represent in each test. Being a scientist who has published, these graphs would be returned to the author to include all devices. The other thing is, he doesn't explain the differences between phones that are using the exact same SOC chipsets. Why are there variations? Also, some benchmarks required optimized drivers/software. These are variables he has not controlled for.
Oh I absolutely agree. However, this is still the best review I've seen. At least it attempts to provide some data. Now, I wouldn't take anything said or posted as gospel. What would be nice though is if some outfits such as Endgadget and BG would follow this review's lead and do a proper review with data and tests that are clear and fair. They have the resources yet simply have not done it.

I'm just giving props to someone for at least TRYING to provide objective data. I agree with you, I doubt the methodology is perfect in this review...but again, that begs the question: WHY more popular sites have so far refused to provide such tests, test results or data.

I personally believe it's because the results will not be to their liking. They could prove me wrong though.;)

Upvote 0
Oh compared to Engadget's review which IMO isn't even good enough to be toilet paper (not that it could because, well, it's an online review, which would be a messy proposition, but in either case...) this is a well written review and makes an attempt at being objective. But this is a far cry from how, for example, PC Magazine used to do benchmark comparisons between computers. For example, we all know that in the OpenGL Benchmark, the iPhone 3Gs toasted the HTC HD2 (same hardware as the N1), but after they optimized the HD2 drivers, it was a little more comparable. The same thing with the Neocore 3D Benchmark, which works well for Qualcomm processors, but stinks on other chipsets.

Upvote 0
My 2 cents:
Nexus-vs-iPhone.jpg

The rest is here:
www.droidsector.com/blog/2010/01/13/dear-iphone-fans-nexus-one-is-better-get-over-it/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones