• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any news on Jelly Bean for S2?

Something happened to my phone several weeks ago causing "strange" things you happen such as all of a sudden, it went from 7 home screens to only 5 - erasing all my widgets in the process.
Also there were 5 (4 changeable) buttons at the bottom of each home screen instead of 4 with the fixed middle one being an "all apps" access?
Sprint store was unable to explain, but whole experience looked like it was Jellybean? I reset the phone and "problem" disappeared back to ICS. Now I am thinking that really was a "leak" from JB...and not sure I am going to like the real version?

Upvote 0
Something happened to my phone several weeks ago causing "strange" things you happen such as all of a sudden, it went from 7 home screens to only 5 - erasing all my widgets in the process.
Also there were 5 (4 changeable) buttons at the bottom of each home screen instead of 4 with the fixed middle one being an "all apps" access?
Sprint store was unable to explain, but whole experience looked like it was Jellybean? I reset the phone and "problem" disappeared back to ICS. Now I am thinking that really was a "leak" from JB...and not sure I am going to like the real version?

I sounds like you went from Touchwiz to "stock" ICS. The description you provided is exactly how my ICS is right now. I stopped using TW long ago. Don't know why the Sprint store couldn't figure that out, but then again, they do have their issues.

Reactions: JaniceK
Upvote 0
Kitsap, you are probably correct because the version # still showed it was ICS. You are also correct that the Sprint stores do have their own issues - but at least the reps have a job & try to be helpful - and the ones I have dealt with are pleasant & courteous even if they don't know as much as the Phandroid posters! This forum has been a real help to me re: various issues and I thank you all.

Upvote 0
Hello all.

Any news on when/if we will be getting Jelly Bean for the Sprint
Galaxy SII?

Talk soon,
G

The FK23 rom is suppose to be the Jelly Bean release for Sprint's Galaxy S2. I installed this lastnight and its great.

Screenshot_2012_12_12_22_12_55.png

Upvote 0
I can't post a link to it since I only registered recently, but if you want Jelly Bean on your E4GT right now you can always check out the unofficial CM10.1 rom (the "WILD FOR THE NIGHT" one) that you can find on XDA.

It's very stable, light on your battery, and is being worked on regularly (the most recent update was Jan. 25th). And installation is easy - back your data up, flash EL29 directboot kernel, reboot into recovery, wipe your system, flash the rom, flash gapps, reboot, and you're in business.

Definitely worth a look if you're dead set on Jelly Bean but aren't willing to wait until some time in the year 2019 for Sprint to release it.

(note: you need an ICS modem for this build!)

Upvote 0
My non active phone had an update reboot this morning --firmware is 4.0.4. That's still ICS isn't it? Prolly just a new maintenance release? ??

Yes, 4.04 is ICS.

That is probably the software fix for the menu popup problem I was told that was forthcoming. It's a hardware issue, but there is a software workaround that can reduce the number of popups that get through. The processor works a bit more-- basically, it counts to ten and checks to see if the menu command it received is valid or not. This extra processing might mean a slight increase in battery usage.

If you are not suffering from the menu popup bug, then there will be no additional problems from that patch.

Of course, I could be mistaken-- the people at the Sprint stores do not impress me with their extensive knowledge of happenings within the company, and so their saying that this latest issue is that patch can be suspect (one must then assume that their saying that JB is coming next month has to be taken with a grain of salt, as well).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones