• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone here a Kindle owner?

you can put physical books on them? or do you just download the books? im a little interested in one as well

With the app you can buy them from Amazon and download them from the phone. I believe that the device works the same way. I know the app will take any DRMless .prc file though so there are thousands of sources available for books. I was able to convert several that I already owned in Epub over to prc using Calibre and can now read them on the Kindle app.

Upvote 0
With the app you can buy them from Amazon and download them from the phone. I believe that the device works the same way. I know the app will take any DRMless .prc file though so there are thousands of sources available for books. I was able to convert several that I already owned in Epub over to prc using Calibre and can now read them on the Kindle app.

Yes. You can download books WiFi or 3G on your Kindle (or phone) or you can go to Amazon.com on your computer and order it there. Your purchases are linked to your account so you can buy them or access them from any device. One of my favorite features is pre-ordering a book and when it becomes available it automatically downloads to my Kindle. Love it!

Calibre is awesome. I use it all the time. Who care if the Kindle can't read epub when you can convert it so easily. :)

Upvote 0
I assume you got the graphite 3G one? The white one is in stock and available for overnight shipping but the graphite one must have a huge wait ilst.

Nah, it's a whole different situation over from the UK Amazon site. We only have the graphite versions and they're both 'expected to dispatch in 2 to 3 weeks'.

My estimated dispatch date is the 17th, but Amazon UK seem to be bumping back everyone's deliveries.

Upvote 0
I'm an avid reader and my Kindle is always with me! I started with a Kindle 2 and am loving the Kindle 3. I think Amazon really understands the reader niche - we don't want or need a color touchscreen tablet, we just want something to read books on! The electronic ink screen looks beautiful and I hope Amazon doesn't sell out to the iPad fever for future devices.

Upvote 0
I'm just curious about why everyone is going out and buying one when they can use the app on their phone for free.

Have you ever used a Kindle? You should try it out. There is no comparison using the app on a smaller LCD screen versus the larger e-ink screen. It's so much easier on the eyes. Reading the Kindle outside in the sun is also much easier. The battery life is also far superior.

Kindle FTW! :D

Upvote 0
I'm just curious about why everyone is going out and buying one when they can use the app on their phone for free.
The Kindle has a much bigger screen, and the e-ink display is much much easier on the eyes, as well you can fit much more text on the screen (close approximation to the same space on a paperback page). An Android device is back-lit and the screen is much much smaller, resulting in eye strain due to squinting and the light directly in your eyes.

While you can read for a short period of time on a small back-lit device (ie...while waiting your turn in a doctor's office), you can read for hours with an e-ink display.

Upvote 0
Sorry, nope, went with the Sony PRS 505, and don't regret it one bit.

I got a Sony PRS-505 a couple years ago, and I still haven't seen a newer model that would tempt me away from it.

For all of those people who don't "get" the difference between e-ink and a backlit device like your phone or computer: do you notice a difference between reading on paper and reading on a backlit screen? Same difference with e-ink. It sheds no light, so the eye strain is considerably less than with a device that does. If you only read for a few minutes here and there, it doesn't matter... but if you are a heavy reader, e-ink is critically important.

For people who love the touch, feel, sight, smell, (taste?) of paper books: I get where you're coming from, I really do. I grew up in a small, remote area with no TV, so as a kid and teenager I read everything in sight. Like 5 times. And that's where we come to the crux of the matter, because I would rather read new books on my e-reader than not read them at all. Even though I live in a city now, it's still much easier to get an electronic copy of most books than paper copies. You might think that you simply can't get used to pressing a button instead of turning a page, but you will become accustomed to it much sooner than you think... once you get sucked into the story, you don't notice or think about it at all. I also love that I don't have to worry that I'll finish my current book while I'm out of the house and be left with nothing to read (or, have to tote around at least 2 big heavy books whereever I go) because all my books are with me at all times. Like any personal device that you carry with you and hold in your hands often, you will probably become quite fond of your e-reader over time, now when I read paper books I quickly become irritated with how bulky and uncomfortable they are to hold, and how I have to lift it up off my chest to turn the page (what a drag! :p).

Sorry this post is so long... hey, too bad you can't read it with e-ink!:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones