• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone interested in the Style?

I am. Well actually, the Pure edition. I was going to get the S6 edge+ or the Note, but now it's between the Note 4 edge and the Moto X pure. Samsung took too many features away, such as the IR blaster. I don't care for the SD card or battery being taken away. It's the other things. I'll just keep my S5 and get a cheaper phone with decent specs such as the X Pure.

Upvote 0
I certainly hope not, since Motorola has said it will work on Verizon. It had better!

The N6 works on Verizon, too, but Verizon wouldn't activate the device because it didn't recognize it. The trick was to activate the sim in a Verizon branded handset and then put it in the Nexus. Then it works.

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
Well. This just occured to me. I have the '14 X (and had a '13) and one of the best things about them is the Active Notifications, I've read that they are going to be on the Pure/Style as well, phew, I hope. But. They worked so well because of the Amoled screen, the Pure has LCD. That's a downgrade IMO. I use mostly pure black wallpapers, not to save power but because I think they look good. Now I'm concerned on two fronts. How black is black on LCD and will the Active Notifications really be there and be as handy/battery friendly as they are now. I've not seen a LCD screen in action in years so have no idea how they are these days.

Plus the size. I'm still thinking it may be too big. Le sigh. I thought I really wanted this new shiny phone that I don't need. Maybe I really don't need it after all. Oh, I'll give it a look in a few days and read the feedback, but I'm just not sure it's for me now.

Upvote 0
LCD as you probably know is a family, not necessarily a thing, and the tech press is completely clueless about what differentiates the family members and throw about meaningless terms like TFT, Super, IPS (started out as a thing *years* ago but is a family within the family), and so forth. Marketing departments are just as clueless and feed everyone with those meaningless terms because the press eats it up.

My favorite is Super LCD, completely made up and non-existent. HTC posted that it was going with S-LCD, a name that meant that they were buying a panel of unknown type from the joint Samsung/Sony fab, a writer pulled out the meaning from his rear end (and I'm better than 99% sure that it was Phandroid who started that gem) and Super LCD was born. Since then HTC has sold me phones with Super LCD 2, and Super LCD 3 - but as there's no such thing, you can still buy HTCs with panels made by different companies and based on different technologies altogether, with some being dogs and others being absolutely fantastic.

But by God, they're all Super! :D rotf!

How the marketeers haven't stumbled on to the fact that phone LCDs are backlit with LEDs, and started marketing the panels as LED displays just like they hilariously do in the TV industry is a mystery to me. :D

My advice is to look at few copies of the phone live for yourself and if you go with it and yours doesn't look as good as the display model - RETURN IT. Especially until we know who is in the supply chain.

Until then, trust about zero advice regarding black levels, viewing angles or anything else you'll read. Those factors vary widely within the family of technologies under the LCD umbrella.

See and judge for yourself, that's the best way.

Fwiw, and I don't expect it to matter because tastes vary, I far prefer a good LCD display over AMOLED and have had great luck with my phones with them. I think that the LCD here could be a probable upgrade from an AMOLED.

Upvote 0
I am hoping the display has less screen door than the Note 4 with Gear VR. The pentile effect is apparent when zoomed in with a VR headset. LCD should be better, but depends on the design of LCD being used since slight motion blur can be an issue. An IPS panel would be groovy. Just have my doubts there will be much innovation since seems Motorola went the stock route to keep the price points down.

Upvote 0
A little surprised there's not more action in here today. I had checked all day yesterday (till about 4 central anyway) looking for the pre-order of the X pure. Checked this morning and it is up with the motomaker options.

I am a tad disappointed in it to be honest. They have 3 options for the front and frame, white with champagne frame, black with light silver (not currently available - disappointment one) and black with dark silver. I have issues with this, first if you're going to open pre-orders be fricking ready for it and have all the options available. second, why the heck cant I get black with champagne? or white with dark silver? If you are going to have the "ultimate customization phone" why are you locking me into those options?

The rest is all pretty similar to what we are used to, the process is slightly different but easy to get it.

What I want they won't make for me. And for that reason I may not get one.
In my minds eye... as a Batman fan... I want the black front with champagne frame, black leather back champagne trim. It would look very 89 Batmanish and that's just super geeky to me.

Anyway, if anyone orders one, please share your design and thoughts on what is available.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
A little surprised there's not more action in here today. I had checked all day yesterday (till about 4 central anyway) looking for the pre-order of the X pure. Checked this morning and it is up with the motomaker options.

I am a tad disappointed in it to be honest. They have 3 options for the front and frame, white with champagne frame, black with light silver (not currently available - disappointment one) and black with dark silver. I have issues with this, first if you're going to open pre-orders be fricking ready for it and have all the options available. second, why the heck cant I get black with champagne? or white with dark silver? If you are going to have the "ultimate customization phone" why are you locking me into those options?

The rest is all pretty similar to what we are used to, the process is slightly different but easy to get it.

What I want they won't make for me. And for that reason I may not get one.
In my minds eye... as a Batman fan... I want the black front with champagne frame, black leather back champagne trim. It would look very 89 Batmanish and that's just super geeky to me.

Anyway, if anyone orders one, please share your design and thoughts on what is available.

The only one I can't select is white with champagne frame which is what I want. Here are a few that I made just to see what I can make. The last one I wanted in white with champagne frame to match the accents.

Phone.PNG Phone2.PNG Phone3.PNG

Upvote 0
The accept no substitutes was a joke, there's no such thing as a Super LCD.

I hope that you get the IPS panel you want - IPS is a family, not a specific panel.
A really nice one lol. How specific do you want though seriously? Is it not enough to say I like the wider viewing angle and colour reproduction generally offered by IPS panels? Or do you want me to mail you a panel with a little note saying "that one."?

Upvote 0
A really nice one lol. How specific do you want though seriously? Is it not enough to say I like the wider viewing angle and colour reproduction generally offered by IPS panels? Or do you want me to mail you a panel with a little note saying "that one."?
I'm not trying to give you a hard time at all. :)

IPS describes one part of the electrical control equation in a complex electrochemical system.

When there was only one manufacturer and one version, it was enough to say IPS and that told the whole story.

Today there are a bunch of variations on the IPS control theme and they range from, eh ok, to, OMGZ amazing.

My phone has an OMGZ amazing IPS display so I know what's possible and what's to love. :)

It was nothing personal - I just have a thing against marketing departments not telling the whole story and turning an engineering identification into a buzzword - because then you and I can't know if we're talking about apples or oranges. I hate that and it's all I was about, as I hope my earlier reply to Clementine_3 bears out.

Cool? :)

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to give you a hard time at all. :)

IPS describes one part of the electrical control equation in a complex electrochemical system.

When there was only one manufacturer and one version, it was enough to say IPS and that told the whole story.

Today there are a bunch of variations on the IPS control theme and they range from, eh ok, to, OMGZ amazing.

My phone has an OMGZ amazing IPS display so I know what's possible and what's to love. :)

It was nothing personal - I just have a thing against marketing departments not telling the whole story and turning an engineering identification into a buzzword - because then you and I can't know if we're talking about apples or oranges. I hate that and it's all I was about, as I hope my earlier reply to Clementine_3 bears out.

Cool? :)
I wasn't very specific because I didn't feel the need to be. I like IPS displays in general I had a computer monitor that had a nice IPS display I have a phone now with a pretty good IPS display. But all and all I was referring to the general qualities of an IPS display. I have a conundrum where I like lg displays and a stock or close to stock android is and I can't have both it seems lol. Not trying to get nasty if thats how it came off. But honestly the specific IPS panel doesn't matter to me as much as what it looks like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones