• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Receive a 12.8MB OTA Update Today?

I wonder if people on Leak v.2 and under will get this OTA. I dont remember the differences, but I am going to assume that ANY version of the Leak or people using RUU w2ill get the OTA.

I wouldn't be too sure. All of the previous OTA's have checked the build number, and have only executed if they find that exact number. For instance, the last OTA checked for "1.17.605.1 CL104882" as the build number. Theoretically this one will be checking for 2.36.605.1.

Reactions: mortymouse
Upvote 0
I wouldn't be too sure. All of the previous OTA's have checked the build number, and have only executed if they find that exact number. For instance, the last OTA checked for "1.17.605.1 CL104882" as the build number. Theoretically this one will be checking for 2.36.605.1.

Looks like the wifes phone will be getting the RUU tonight then. ;) Either that, or after I get the OTA I will get it to her. Thanks brother.

Upvote 0
Well i got my eris on may the 20th it came with 1.5.When i first turned it on a software update was available.I used it for a few days to get a feel of the phone with 1.5 version.Then i decided to update and have not had any of the issues others are having.Firmware 2.1 Baseland 2.42.00.04.12 Kernel 2.6.29-8a03cb9a htc-kernal@and 18-2#1 Build Number 2.36.605.1 c1165907 release-key Software 2.36.605.1 Ship s-0n bootloader 1.47 Hope this helps

Upvote 0
I can't give specific details as to which version of hboot I was running or anything else, but here is what I can tell you.

I bought the Eris stock with 1.5. I upgraded to 2.1 with the OTA update from Verizon. I did the latest OTA update yesterday morning. I rooted this morning.

I didn't see anything in this last update that would've made it more difficult, granted I had never messed around with rooting prior to that.

Upvote 0
I can't give specific details as to which version of hboot I was running or anything else, but here is what I can tell you.

I bought the Eris stock with 1.5. I upgraded to 2.1 with the OTA update from Verizon. I did the latest OTA update yesterday morning. I rooted this morning.

I didn't see anything in this last update that would've made it more difficult, granted I had never messed around with rooting prior to that.

When you do the OTA's they dont change your HBoot, which is why you were still able to root :)

Upvote 0
Ah ok. I only mentioned it because I was getting the impression from some people that if you did the latest OTA update, you wouldn't be able to root anymore. Maybe I misunderstood them. Either way, I'm good!

It's a common worry with updates and legitimately so if you don't know about how updates work. The leaked version messed everyone up (for easy root), but the difference between the leaked version and an OTA update is that the leaked update fully wiped out your phone and installed its own bootloader along with all files. The OTA update was a patch file that only updated phones with the latest files without touching the bootloader. Pretty much any OTA update is going to do this, because Verizon doesn't have the time to help everyone out who calls to complain that their phone was just wiped out. Can you imagine?

Upvote 0
Ah ok. I only mentioned it because I was getting the impression from some people that if you did the latest OTA update, you wouldn't be able to root anymore. Maybe I misunderstood them. Either way, I'm good!

If you flashed the RUU or went with the leak 3 and decided to go with this new OTA update Verizon is sending then you will not be able to root. But since you never flashed any of those and only did OTA's this whole time then your good to root :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones