• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to change cpu frequency and governor

KageBeast

Android Expert
Feb 24, 2012
Twilight Town
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm looking for an app that can let me freely change my cpu speed and or my governor. Specifically I'd like to be able to have specific set ups for different apps. Like if I'm playing angry birds go I'd like to be able to set it so that whenever the app runs my governor changes to performance so that my cpu runs at 1.4ghz while I'm playing the game

I can help you out alot on this. As I've tried it all. You want to control your GPU just as much as your CPU since you mentioned your desired speed playing games. I have my GPU set at 400 mhz performance instead of 300 mhz. This is gonna help you alot playing games changing your GPU from 75% or so on demand to 100% performance.

3c Toolbox Pro (This is what I currently used CPU controls, kernel tweaks, system manager, entrophy,sd card, oom settings. This app has it all including scripter, terminal, etc etc and profiles and tasker schedules. If you want it all this is the app for you. They also make 3c toolbox which is free but less functions. The same company makes System Tuner with the same CPU functions and GPU functions as 3C Toolbox

There is Rom Toolbox pro and Rom Toolbox lite

Kernel Tuner

Fresh out of the box brand new one is Kernel Toolkit it was made this year I believe and has a rating of 4.4 in the store I think it was made in Febuary. Its a full out free tuner Cpu,Gpu,I/O and.

Trickster Mod is another one but older I believe but respected. Same for SETcpu its respected but hasnt been updated in like 2 years. It does actually work but its basic but if all you want it CPU and GPU settings it might be for you. But if your gonna mod why not mod all out like 3C Toolbox pro.

3C has preset options where you dont have to input anything yourself if you dont want to like Build Scripts and Sysctl tweaks.

Since you refered to playing a game in your OP I suggest you go all out. Hope this helps. And don't be scared to ma out the cpu and gpu with performance govs. My device cpu has never gotten over 139 degrees farenhieht and I'm a power user.

Hope this helps

Josh

Upvote 0
@funkylogik I currently have xposed installed but I don't think app ops will will help me with what need. I might check it out though just to see what it has. Also i don't know if it's my governor but when I play a game it never runs at full speed. It feels like it's constantly fluctuating, but when i used no frills cpu control to set my min and max speed to 1.4ghz I noticed a significant difference.

@codesplice yeah I was looking at that franco kernel app the other day. I wanted to use it but it requires the mod? and I don't know anything about that or how it works and I have no clue how to use tasker lol. Tried it once and just gave up.

@llamalab automate looks easy enough to use so I'll check that out as well.

@Hadron see I wanted to use setcpu but it's outdated and looking at the reviews I noticed a lot of people couldn't get it to work. I've used it in the past before and it was great. I'll try it just to see if it still works.

@MustangLife I've been looking at all the apps you recommended and it looks like I'll probably check out 3c toolbox and rom toolbox pro. I've seen and used rom toolbox before but not to it's fullest extent. Also check out trickster mod but it looks dated. When I was searching for apps I was looking for more recently updated apps. Like early 2014 and up.

Thank you all for your input! I'll be sure to use all the recommended apps and see which one works best.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones