• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps I have verified that support Apps2SD

Here's something interesting. I DL'd Google Earth from the Market, intending to move it to my SD card -- but it had already installed itself directly to my SD card.

I tried that to see.

Same thing.

Also added some random game app, it installed directly to SD card. Havent checked to see if they work.

*****They do.*****

I suppose all will install to SD card, and if you want to install one with widget, you have to go in and move back to phone... dunno.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
I tried that to see.

Same thing.

Also added some random game app, it installed directly to SD card. Havent checked to see if they work.

*****They do.*****

I suppose all will install to SD card, and if you want to install one with widget, you have to go in and move back to phone... dunno.

Google Earth definitely works. Oops! You were typing "They do" as I was typing that first sentence. I'm thinking the same thing -- running that command makes apps install by default to the SD card, so you have to move them if you want them on the phone.

Upvote 0
su
pm setInstallLocation 2

worked perfectly!

The following can be added to the list of apps that run off the SD card:

aCar
Adobe Reader
Discovery
Docs to Go
Epicurious
eBay
eBuddy
Engadget
Facebook
Goggles
Google Sky Map
Movies
My Verizon
Pandora
Replica Island
Scanner Radio
Seesmic
ShopSavvy
Slacker
Sportstap
TV Listings
USA Today
Virtual Vuvuzela
Where
World Droidcup
Zillow

NON-working:

Layar (FC's)

I didn't move anything that has a widget that I use - I have rebooted a few times and have had no problems, BUT, I have lost icons for these apps -they all show as the little icon that resembles the market app icon.

Upvote 0
su
pm setInstallLocation 2

worked perfectly!

The following can be added to the list of apps that run off the SD card:

aCar
Adobe Reader
Discovery
Docs to Go
Epicurious
eBay
eBuddy
Engadget
Facebook
Goggles
Google Sky Map
Movies
My Verizon
Pandora
Replica Island
Scanner Radio
Seesmic
ShopSavvy
Slacker
Sportstap
TV Listings
USA Today
Virtual Vuvuzela
Where
World Droidcup
Zillow

NON-working:

Layar (FC's)

I didn't move anything that has a widget that I use - I have rebooted a few times and have had no problems, BUT, I have lost icons for these apps -they all show as the little icon that resembles the market app icon.

To get the icons to show back up, go into setting, whatever launcher you use, hit "Force Stop". You should be able to go back out and see them now.

Upvote 0

I rebooted with no problems as well, and will post my larger list later. The weird thing is that my apps lost their icons when I moved them using TiBu and then rebooted, but they haven't lost their icons when moving from Settings>Applications after running that command.

Upvote 0
So far, I've verified that the following apps run perfectly from the SD card (using the command above and moving to SD card from Settings>Applications or DLing from Market directly to SD card:

3banana notes
aContacts
Album Art Wizard
Aldiko ereader
App Brain App Market
Barcode Scanner
BlackJack Pro Free
RealCalc Scientific Calculator
Color Dictionary
ConvertPad - Unit Converter
Draw!
eReader for Android
FartDroid
Flikie Wallpapers HD
Google Earth
Google Goggles
Google SkyMap
Hangman Classic
Instant Lyrics Lite
Kobo ereader for Android
Labyrinth Lite
Magic Marker
My Verizon
OI Safe
OI Shopping List
Periodic Table
Quick Profiles
Shop Savvy
SlideMe Marketplace
Solitaire
Super Yatzy
TeslaLED
TicTacToe
Tip Calc
Untrachron ite
USAA
Where
Where's My Droid
WordUp!
WordWrenchFull

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones