• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi, so I have a lovely black Desire on Orange UK, still yet to debrand/root to free up valuable memory. Currently enjoying 2.2 apps to SD although I don't seem to have found many apps that can go to SD, just wondering what everybody else has found.

I appreciate the list will grow as more developers get on board so nothing is definitive.

So far i have -

Google Earth
Go!Chat
Google Goggles
Google Shopper
Appbrain App Market
Tricorder
Thinking Space
Google Sky map
Uninstaller
RAC traffic
Vignette Demo
My Valentino Rossi
Blackmoon atachsave
Darth Vader soundboard
Homer Quotes
App 2 SD

So if you're rooted you can move everything?

not quite. You can partition the micro sd card so that the phone thinks part of the sd is internal memory. Therefore, you get a lot more actual space and this can be done to every app. However, the phone still installs some of the app's cache onto the actual interal phone memory, so its limited in that sense. But, this is ridiculously small. So before, my 40 apps left me with around 10mb free memory. Once rooted, I now have about 95mb free. Each app I install adds about 0.1mb each time to full internal memory.... so you gain a hell of a lot more.

Upvote 0
not quite. You can partition the micro sd card so that the phone thinks part of the sd is internal memory. Therefore, you get a lot more actual space and this can be done to every app. However, the phone still installs some of the app's cache onto the actual interal phone memory, so its limited in that sense. But, this is ridiculously small. So before, my 40 apps left me with around 10mb free memory. Once rooted, I now have about 95mb free. Each app I install adds about 0.1mb each time to full internal memory.... so you gain a hell of a lot more.

I'm fast running out of space so for me this would be a massive plus if I rooted.

Is is complicated to partition the SD card or is it part of the rooting procedure?

Upvote 0
Routing doesn't do this. A2SD+ is dependant on a custom Rom supporting it, but yes its easy.

I Disagree. It's easy if you know what your doing like danfrance does, but I really struggled doing it and if he hadn't helped me I would be well and truly lost. Looking back now though, it is't so bad.

If you decide you want to go ahead with either rooting or both rooting and apps2sd pm me and ill help you along the way

Upvote 0
I Disagree. It's easy if you know what your doing like danfrance does, but I really struggled doing it and if he hadn't helped me I would be well and truly lost. Looking back now though, it is't so bad.

If you decide you want to go ahead with either rooting or both rooting and apps2sd pm me and ill help you along the way

Thanks for that mate, not planning on doing it just yet but if I do I might just take you up on that if it goes pear shaped.

Upvote 0
As danfrance said, there's a list somewhere. But in all honestly, it's not that many apps. Some are, but I found far too many weren't which was enough to persuade me to do my guide, then eventually root. Personally, some of my favourite apps, eg google maps, google earth, adobe air, angry birds etc weren't able to be moved to sd. And although the 2 of them still can't really with rooting, it doesn't matter as I have so much space anyway. As you mentioned in your original post, so many aren't movable. For me, this was frustrating.

In my opinion, apps make or break a phone / platform. So to be limited so quickly really bugged me. So I know you said that you didn't want to do either just now, but if it annoys you anything like it did for me, I would seriously consider even doing my guide, not rooting. Because, I remember it took half a year for apps to get apps2sd, and I think most of mine still don't.... The situation I think is unlikely to improve much in the short future.....

Upvote 0
I've done williams guide to force appstoSD and still not really happy with the results. I'm looking to possibly root to get A2SD+. I'm currently on a stock froyo 2.2 rom 2.10... But I'm really nervous about doing it as it does sound a little complicated. All this partitioning stuff on the SD card and internal memory ext 1, ext 3, ext 4 is what gets to me. :S

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones