• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you rooted or stock?

Is your droid rooted or stock?

• Stock

Votes: 133 37.9%
  • Rooted

Votes: 192 54.7%
  • Planning to root

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • Planning to un-root

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i want to root but im scareddd

Well. I did a lot of reading on it in the last week while waiting for my phone. there are really 3 main steps..

1) Apply the Root

2) Prepare phone to back-up current ROM

3) install new ROM

It is not bad to do, you don't really need to be technical, but look at it this way.. you are on these forums, you know what root is and what the results can be. now you just need to take the time to try it out. search here and post questions, once you finally Root and ROM your phone, you will be happy you did

Upvote 0
Well. I did a lot of reading on it in the last week while waiting for my phone. there are really 3 main steps..

1) Apply the Root

2) Prepare phone to back-up current ROM

3) install new ROM

It is not bad to do, you don't really need to be technical, but look at it this way.. you are on these forums, you know what root is and what the results can be. now you just need to take the time to try it out. search here and post questions, once you finally Root and ROM your phone, you will be happy you did

yeah i've gotten a lot of suggestions and i always here people speak so highly of their phones after they did it so hopefully i will have the same experience

Upvote 0
I'm planning on rooting, but first I'm patiently waiting for the 2.1 OTA update to be released.

but there is always the possibility that you may not be able to root after the OTA.

I too am waiting for the OTA, but I figured, Root now and if the OTA is better then just switch back and get the OTA at that point.

with the current ROM i have many of the 2.1 features, just not all. so with the OTA have the same or less or more? I don't think anyone really knows yet

Upvote 0
but there is always the possibility that you may not be able to root after the OTA.

I too am waiting for the OTA, but I figured, Root now and if the OTA is better then just switch back and get the OTA at that point.

with the current ROM i have many of the 2.1 features, just not all. so with the OTA have the same or less or more? I don't think anyone really knows yet

That's not the case anymore. One of the stickies in the All About Root forum that says something like "now you can live without fear of bricking your phone" is about an SBF file released for the Droid. This means you can use RSDLite on your computer to flash your Droid back to factory condition with the SBF file. 2.0.1 factory condition. You can update to 2.1 and even if it can't be rooted, you can use that method to flash back to 2.0.1 and then root.

Reactions: -=Jeff=-
Upvote 0
Rooted..
Got my Droid Wednesday afternoon, set it up Wednesday night in OEM form

Rooted Thursday night to BB 1.1 (2.0.1) with a 600 MHz Kernel

Debating on going to BB 0.5 (2.1) but will give this mod I have a few days first

I used 2.0.1 BB for awhile and loved it. I'm on 2.1 BB now and I don't see any improvements at all... I'm debating whether or not to do a nandroid restore of 2.0.1

Upvote 0
I used 2.0.1 BB for awhile and loved it. I'm on 2.1 BB now and I don't see any improvements at all... I'm debating whether or not to do a nandroid restore of 2.0.1

Good to know. any different features of 2.1? I think if Launcher2 was fixed from issues I read it has imight switch if Pete implements it. otherwise happy so far with my setup

Upvote 0
Rooted with DroidMod 1.0 and can honestly say, though I did it with hesitation, I absolutely love it! Thank you to all of the devs that make it possible for enthusiasts (like me) to enjoy our phones to their potential without having the knowledge and skill to program them ourselves. Kudos!

Upvote 0
Rooted a couple days ago and then loaded Smoke Glass V4 from over at Alldroid. AdamZ's work. Then I o.c to 800 mhz. I think I noticed it ran slower actually than stock. Lagged a bit between screens and such. Reloaded my backup, which by the way I had named Retail Backup 0210 and it wouldn't load got the 21 error. Then I remembered that Linux does not like spaces and you have to have either it either all together or a _between the words in order for it to work.

Thinking of trying a different ROM but not sure what one to do or try.

Upvote 0
Rooted a couple days ago and then loaded Smoke Glass V4 from over at Alldroid. AdamZ's work. Then I o.c to 800 mhz. I think I noticed it ran slower actually than stock. Lagged a bit between screens and such. Reloaded my backup, which by the way I had named Retail Backup 0210 and it wouldn't load got the 21 error. Then I remembered that Linux does not like spaces and you have to have either it either all together or a _between the words in order for it to work.

Thinking of trying a different ROM but not sure what one to do or try.

Did you like the look and feel of adamz's smoked glass? If so, check out sg5.0.1 also by adamz. If you have heat issues check out Chevy's kernels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones