• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Older model Android phone to root

Any recommendations on an older model android to root? I don't want to root my Z Fold 4 so I am just going to purchase another phone like Galaxy S18 for example.
well you gonna need to root the s18 cuz samsung never made a s18 model. it went from the s10 to the s20.

if you go the samsung route get one with a exynos chip. the snapdragon chips comes with a lockbootloader which makes it much harder if not impossible to root.

the easiest would be the pixel phones.

Upvote 0
well you gonna need to root the s18 cuz samsung never made a s18 model. it went from the s10 to the s20.

if you go the samsung route get one with a exynos chip. the snapdragon chips comes with a lockbootloader which makes it much harder if not impossible to root.

the easiest would be the pixel phones.

but dont pixel phones have snapdragon as well.....

Upvote 0
also maybe do some research over at https://www.xda-developers.com/ . if there is an active forum there, then you can feel safe about rooting the phone. if no forum exists for a specific phone, then i would look for another device to get and root. some of the older samsung phones with snapdragons have been rooted. take a look over there to find them. if you need help with that let me know.....it should be easy enough to find.

Reactions: elflamablanca
Upvote 0
Any recommendations on an older model android to root? I don't want to root my Z Fold 4 so I am just going to purchase another phone like Galaxy S18 for example.
Assuming your Galaxy S18 reference is just a typo, if you're actually thinking of something like a Galaxy S8 that is a better option than your daily usage Z Fold. I'd suggest you avoid one of those one-button rooting apps like Kingo and instead opt for a process like TWRP/Magisk:
It's only a bit more involved but results in a cleaner, less obtrusive quasi-root. Since you're apparently willing to educate yourself on the rooting process, getting comfortable using the Odin utility will give you better sense about your phone's internal functionality.

You might also want to be sure you download and save the appropriate Samsung stock ROM for that particular model of S8 (or for whichever phone you intend to buy for this project). Just in case a problem occurs while rooting the phone or later after you do root it, having a stock ROM on hand allows you to flash the stock ROM to restore the phone into fully functional condition again. (.... and then root it again to start over).

Upvote 0
yes but google does not allow their bootloaders to be locked. the snapdragons on samsung's phones have locked bootloaders because that is how samsung wants it.
Correct in the USA. Unless you buy a Hong Kong model. Then you can root that since it's Snapdragon and has a unlocked bootloader. Samsung phones in the USA have had locked bootloaders since the S7.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
What about a Pixel 6 or 6a?? I am in the USA if that makes a difference.
Assuming your Galaxy S18 reference is just a typo, if you're actually thinking of something like a Galaxy S8 that is a better option than your daily usage Z Fold. I'd suggest you avoid one of those one-button rooting apps like Kingo and instead opt for a process like TWRP/Magisk:
It's only a bit more involved but results in a cleaner, less obtrusive quasi-root. Since you're apparently willing to educate yourself on the rooting process, getting comfortable using the Odin utility will give you better sense about your phone's internal functionality.

You might also want to be sure you download and save the appropriate Samsung stock ROM for that particular model of S8 (or for whichever phone you intend to buy for this project). Just in case a problem occurs while rooting the phone or later after you do root it, having a stock ROM on hand allows you to flash the stock ROM to restore the phone into fully functional condition again. (.... and then root it again to start over).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones