• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AT&T "Bloatware" getting in your way? Delete some of it!

Regarding the Titanium Backup method, it does indeed work.

I removed All Share from my app menu that way.

However, I do not think you can restore it.

I did a backup of the Allshare, uninstalled it, and then there is no "restore" button anymore. It seems that Titanium Backup does NOT backup the "app" part of anything that's system service - just the data.

Anyone know how I can get Allshare back on my machine? :thinking: (not that I want it...I just want to make sure I can get the machine to its original state in case I need to send it back or anything...)

Upvote 0
Regarding the Titanium Backup method, it does indeed work.

I removed All Share from my app menu that way.

However, I do not think you can restore it.

I did a backup of the Allshare, uninstalled it, and then there is no "restore" button anymore. It seems that Titanium Backup does NOT backup the "app" part of anything that's system service - just the data.

Anyone know how I can get Allshare back on my machine? :thinking: (not that I want it...I just want to make sure I can get the machine to its original state in case I need to send it back or anything...)

If you backed it up it's in the backup. If you didn't specify "system files" when you did the backup it was not backed up. If you backed up AGAIN after you deleted it, it would be gone unless you saved multiple backups (requires paid version for that).

The backup is simply a zip file. In fact, if you purchase an app and back it up it can be used on any phone just by finding the APK in the zip. The names are kind of strange but the names don't matter.

Upvote 0
according to the galaxy site it only works for samsung tv's made after 2010

I've actually been using allshare with my Windows Home Server and Windows 7 PCs that have Media Center on them. Also, my PS3 works likewise with these devices, so I imagine sharing from my phone to the PS3 will allow me to stream music, video and pictures to my TV wirelessly, but I haven't tested that yet, since I only just got my phone recognized by Windows 7 and haven't loaded any files on it yet.

Upvote 0
how do you do this part "cd to your SDK install directory.
cd to tools within the SDK directory
"?
Provided you extracted the android SDK to C:\, you would enter cd \<AndroidSDK>\tools

(change <AndroidSDK> to whatever you named the extracted folder, and remove the brackets)

On a related note, I think /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.apk is the Where app ($3/month to use), and I'd like to remove it using the same method. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Upvote 0
Provided you extracted the android SDK to C:\, you would enter cd \<AndroidSDK>\tools

(change <AndroidSDK> to whatever you named the extracted folder, and remove the brackets)

On a related note, I think /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.apk is the Where app ($3/month to use), and I'd like to remove it using the same method. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

That's correct. I actually used Titanium backup instead to delete the bloatware. Thanks for your help anyway.

Upvote 0
I tried using the method outlined in the first post and have no problem renaming them to .tmp or back to .apk. However, step 2 I am unable to perform. When I go to applications and find the com.* entries that newly appeared, there is no option to uninstall them.

How to I enable that option?

I think you'll get that ability after you reboot your phone.

Reactions: ChaoticKinesis
Upvote 0
So I downloaded Astro File Manager and have the files for some other ones I wanted gone. Having done all the following, everything seems okay. These are by no means definitive, so attempt at your own risk.

AT&T Hotspots
mv /system/app/WISPr_v41.apk /system/app/WISPr_v41.tmp

AT&T FamilyMap
mv /system/app/androidlauncher2.1-61x612010_06_11t15_49.apk /system/app/androidlauncher2.1-61x612010_06_11t15_49.tmp

AT&T Music
mv /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.apk /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.tmp

Instant Messaging
mv /system/app/IM-Signed.apk /system/app/IM-Signed.tmp

Where
mv /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.apk /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.tmp

Yellow Pages
mv /system/app/YPMobile-release_875.apk /system/app/YPMobile-release_875.tmp

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones