• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T update

lpd50

Jan 1, 2013
NorCal
Morning all;

I did a check on my G2 this moring and saw that there was an 52+ MB update available. After approx 25% thru the download, it stopped and I got the error message that it could not continue, and of course it won't let me retry for another 24 hours.

Any ideas as to what the update is?

And by the way, coming from a Samsung S2 a couple of months ago, still in love and awe of this phone.

In the software update writers defense, and it may seem crazy to suggest this... but, anytime there's an update, if you are savvy enough to set up your phone, I think it's best to perform a FDR.

You'd think updates wouldn't bork a device, but I suspect, some programs or processes may rely upon persistence via UN-initialized memory and those locations *COULD* be in a bad state post-update, and result in unexpected behaviors...

It's a theory and I'm sticking to it.:smokingsomb:

Otherwise, you have to wonder, didn't they test the update before making it available?

I propose they probably did, but not everyone's phone software load is identical after it has been in use for a while. Best to put it in a known good starting state.

In other words, I believe there is something to the suggestion to perform a factory reset whenever bizarre behavior is unexplained...

YMMV

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones