• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T users in US... what kind of speeds are you getting?

worknman

Apr 13, 2010
When I first got my unlocked GSM Gnex about a month ago, I could manage about 2mbps. But when I found out about APN settings and tweaked those, now I get 3.5 - 4mbps. And that is with full bars of HSPA+. Somehow, I was thinking HSPA+ was supposed to be faster than that? I don't know much about APN settings, so just copied settings I found online. I tried several different variations, but 4mbps is the fastest I could manage, whether during the day, or the middle of the night.

BTW: I'm in Austin, TX, and I get 3.5 - 4mbps pretty consistently no matter where I am in town.

When I first got my unlocked GSM Gnex about a month ago, I could manage about 2mbps. But when I found out about APN settings and tweaked those, now I get 3.5 - 4mbps. And that is with full bars of HSPA+. Somehow, I was thinking HSPA+ was supposed to be faster than that? I don't know much about APN settings, so just copied settings I found online. I tried several different variations, but 4mbps is the fastest I could manage, whether during the day, or the middle of the night.

BTW: I'm in Austin, TX, and I get 3.5 - 4mbps pretty consistently no matter where I am in town.

HSPA+ can only max out around 3.5mbps - 4mpbs, so it sounds like you are basically getting what you should be getting...

Remember that HSPA+ is considered to be 3.5G :)

Upvote 0
I typically get between 2.5 and 5 Mbps around Houston on T-Mobile, though I sometimes get 7-8 Mbps speeds.

The GNex, with HSPA+ 21, is technically capable of 21 Mbps speeds, though in real life you likely won't see anything much faster than 10 Mbps. The speeds your phone gets depend on how close you are to the towers and the current load on the towers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones