• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] [ROM] Ice Cream Scamwich 2.0! 3/17

Another problem that I got is with the GPS system, it is constantly in use, I can't stop the GPS even if I shut it down in "settings" (or in the power widget), being the reboot the only temporary solution.
I mean temporary because after rebooted the phone, whenever an app that uses GPS starts, the GPS starts again and doesn't stop, draining all my battery.
I had this problem in the James' speedfreak 2.0 and when I migrated to scamwich 1.5, I just installed one app to see if this would happen, and happened again.
I did multiple instalations (all of them wiping data, cache and dalvik before instalation and cache and dalvik after) and tried one app per instalation to see if it was the app, but this problem appears with any app that uses the GPS.

Upvote 0
thanks guys glad you like it.

I did a logcat and tracked down the search thing. It also does it if you hit local search in music. I'll be throwing up an update to the theme later, so i'll put the fix for play store in there.

as for the GPS thing, that must be your phone. mine is never on, when i try using anything(weather channel, radios, etc) it cant find me. some phones have their own individual quirks. you might have got one.

Also, when most any rom is first loaded onto these phones, wifi is set to on, and background data and GPS. That's just how it goes. same thing when it came out of the box. So I'd recommend everyone turn those off so your batt doesnt drain quick.

Upvote 0
Theme update- ThemeUpdate.zip

A little theme update and fixed play store search issue.(not a whole rom, you need 1.5 for this to even work)

Oh i also added ICS camera, because I got panorama working. And how awesome is panorama on a $80 phone? i also still like MIUI camera for the burst mode which is awesome for kids or animals and moving stuff. So it is up to you to delete which ever one you want. try em out and let me know which one I should keep.

Attachments

• Update.png
    Update.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Update1.png
    Update1.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: mikec628
Upvote 0
where there is the date and the three icons do not appear so, I get only two icons. and worst q des squares, one above and one below.
thump_8263800cap2013012711141.png

The third icon is the new clear button. that layout is odd. what does it look like when you rotate the screen? same? maybe try a cache wipe. ill take a look around code and see if anything jumps out. But mines not like that so I dont know for sure yet.

and what toggles do you have there?

Upvote 0
The third icon is the new clear button. that layout is odd. what does it look like when you rotate the screen? same? maybe try a cache wipe. ill take a look around code and see if anything jumps out. But mines not like that so I dont know for sure yet.

and what toggles do you have there?
Found the error, the phone language I use in Spanish, that's the problem in English is normal, while in Spanish it is incorrect icons: D

Upvote 0
Found the error, the phone language I use in Spanish, that's the problem in English is normal, while in Spanish it is incorrect icons: D

cool, glad you figured it out. If you're handy with apk tool, you could decompile and copy the proper values and xml over to xml-es and values-es. i might put it on my to-do list, but its got a lot a head of it.

since im stuck in some smali, i decided to play around with the theme.

Attachments

• settingstheme.png
    settingstheme.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 107
  • settingstheme2.png
    settingstheme2.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
ATTN: out of ideas - can you take the time to give me some help?

I recently put Cyanogenmod 7 on my ZTE Avail and modded it with Phydeux's ROM. I would like to try your ice cream dream OC'd ROM and update with your latest Icecreamsamwichv 1.5. Can you tell me how to remove Phydeux's ROM and replace with yours. I would like to either keep Cyangenmod 7 or add it back when I change. I don't know exactly know whether I need to completely wipe the phone, or how to proceed. I already downloaded IceCreamDreamOC.zip and IceCreamSamwich 1.5.zip.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I think by CyanogenMod7(CM7) you are actually talking about ClockWorkMod(CWM5, or CWM6) is it a black screen you have to acess by holding down a bunch of buttons?
images

if so keep reading, if not explain more.

CWM is a recovery, it lets you back stuff up and other cool things. ICScamwich and phydeux rom are ROMs. its what your phone looks like and does when its on normally. they are separate, and you would keep your CWM after replacing with my ROM.

if you want the overclocking and the latest rom, follow these directions.

I would recommend wiping your data before you do all this, but a CWM restore should get everything. You will lose everything, so backup your contacts to sdcard, get an app if you want texts and call logs saved, etc.

unzip the IceCreamDreamOC.zip. Inside is one folder, i think it has the same name, havent opened it in a looong time. But either way, take that folder, put it on your sdcard in the folder /clockwordmod/backups/. You should have other ones with numbers in there if you have made a backup before.

Put IceCreamScamwichv1.5.zip anywhere on your sdcard. DO NOT UNZIP!!!!!! Just leave it EXACTLY how you downloaded it.

Now boot into CWM recovery on your phone, select backup/restore, pick restore, pick the ICECREAMDREAM one and let it restore. You should reboot your phone and see that it is different from what you had, but doesnt look like these screenshots.. Thats great! almost done.

Now hold down the power button, pick power off, and it will bring up the extended menu i put on. pick Recovery and it will boot you into CWM without having to turn off the phone or get an app. Select "install zip from sdcard", pick scamwichv1.5 and let it install then reboot.

Oh, you'll also want the theme update at the top of the OP. it fixes a couple things.

Upvote 0
The OC one has to be unzipped, then that folder put into /sdcard/clockworkmod/backups/. Not flashed.

what recovery are you trying to use and what is your current setup? if you are using stock recovery did you rename this to update.zip and click "apply sdcard update"?

I am using stock recovery (I think, my recovery background has en exclamation point in a triangle), and have changed the file name to "update.zip", but still get "Installation aborted". Then, since I figured the file was zip file anyway, I tried just having the files be named "update" but that didn't work, either.

EDIT: I think I did all the steps, I selected all the options in my recovery menu. First, I did the factory data reset, then I I did the partition cache clear or something, and then I tried to install "update.zip".

Upvote 0
out of area:

Any idea why your icecreamdream ROM would randomly reset my ZTE Avail? When I turn it off, it doesn't stay off. IceCreamDream 1.0 and 1.5 installed just fine with your instructions. I am just curious about the random turning on.

Not my ROM. roms wouldnt do that. are you going through the power menu and selecting "shutdown"?.

maybe your power button is wonky, or if you have it plugged in, the cord may fall out and it turns on. These phones have junky USB ports.

I am using stock recovery (I think, my recovery background has en exclamation point in a triangle), and have changed the file name to "update.zip", but still get "Installation aborted". Then, since I figured the file was zip file anyway, I tried just having the files be named "update" but that didn't work, either.

EDIT: I think I did all the steps, I selected all the options in my recovery menu. First, I did the factory data reset, then I I did the partition cache clear or something, and then I tried to install "update.zip".

the one with OC has to be unzipped. the one with v1.5 does NOT. repeat dont unzip.

If you followed those fine, its probably a bad download or transfer. What else does it say when its borted?

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by JJChowboy
out of area:

Any idea why your icecreamdream ROM would randomly reset my ZTE Avail? When I turn it off, it doesn't stay off. IceCreamDream 1.0 and 1.5 installed just fine with your instructions. I am just curious about the random turning on.

I do have to say yes there is problems with roms causing this. When i was on james speekfreak and the first rom from cwwilsons rom (not 2.1.2) I had this same problem. Turn the phone off. 30 secs to 4 mins later the phone would start back up.

Upvote 0
Well that shows that it is definitely not this ROM. and as they are three different roms, based off different starts, there isn't much in common with them.

I would almost think MAYBE a kernel could do that, but again, we have different kernels.

The merit would randomly reboot on some people, maybe the avail has the reverse problem. I dont know and can't troubleshoot your guys phones in this thread, start a new one maybe.

again,not this rom restarting your phones.

back to regular programming....

Upvote 0
my wifi stays on fine for an hour plus. I switched alarm clocks for the next one, so ill have to take a look at it.

If its busted ill fix it for 2.0.

and thanks to everyone enjoying it so far.

EDIT- just thinking here, but might have something to try for your wifi. open file explorer, go to /system/build.prop. look about halfway down for this line(without the " " )

"wifi_supplicant_scan_interval=150"

put a # in front of that line and reboot and check the wiFi. maybe your phone isnt remembering the connection or something. these things are buggy.

Reactions: erre_c
Upvote 0
I read somewhere on this forum that ringtone files and such are stored in the System directory on the ZTE Avail. If this is not correct, could someone please telll me where they are located? I scanned the System directory, but didn't find anything that looked like a sound file. I want to add some .mp3 files to use as ringtones and I need to know where to put them so my Avail will recognize them.

Thanks.

JJChowboy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones