• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ayn Rand.

That's fair but you seem too willing to believe that no one pays those taxes.

I have a question then, why are people so hot to make businesses pay more taxes when they don't pay a thing anyway? All you're doing is screwing over the 2 companies that you are willing to concede actually do pay taxes. Why would they stay in business then? Why wouldn't they join all of those who don't pay any taxes and everyone's fervent "Tax Big Business" rhetoric would only affect freelancers if someone were willing to entertain it? Well at least lawyers get richer.

It reeks of the talking points that declare that only the poor people are paying taxes, but those who the extermists are willing to say don't need to be paying more tax than we currently are would be those who don't make enough to owe anything?

Upvote 0
That's fair but you seem too willing to believe that no one pays those taxes.

I made a mostly true comment with the well-known tongue-in-check expression,

I'm interested of the XXX of which you speak and would like to know more.
And you're extrapolating a bit much.

I have a question then, why are people so hot to make businesses pay more taxes when they don't pay a thing anyway?
Because it's an easy sell to the small percentage of common people left voting without the background, education or foundation as to how the crooks are running the store, that's why.

When Forbes ran for nomination for the presidency, he advocated dropping all of the crufty laws and just imposing a simple, flat 10% tax on businesses and individuals. And - he had valid pro formas to show that our deficit spending would end and we could pay off our debt that way.

It was quite the show to watch contenders from all sides get together and jeer his "Flat-Earth" policy.

One of the few times I've ever since the entire political establishment working together towards a common goal - protecting their phoney-baloney jobs and the deep corporate pockets who put them there.

I'm not some liberal whiner. I'm simply old enough to have watched it unfold in my lifetime, and to do like they said - follow the money if you want to get to the truth.

Upvote 0
Now that Atlas Shrugged Part 1 has been in the theaters for a few weeks, it seemed like a good time to thaw this thread out. Hopefully more people have become familiar with the works of Ayn Rand now, or at least the first third of Atlas Shrugged.

For Snow Fox, if you are interested in delving into the wonderful world of Rand, I would suggest starting with Anthem. It's short, sweet, and very relevant. I always recommend that prior to Atlas Shrugged.

As far as the tax issue goes, her premise is that large corporations would find it desirable to pay their fair share of taxes if the government functioned as it should. The government should limit itself to guaranteeing our safety and our rights. That's it. It should stop me from being robbed by force and it should stop foreign countries from invading. That being said, the wealthy and the corporations would be happy to fund police forces and the military. They have the most to lose. If I remember correctly, she puts in more eloquently in The Virtue of Selfishness.

If you haven't had a chance to see the movie, it stays very true to the book in it's message. The acting is a bit off, especially Taylor Schilling's portrayal of Dagny Taggart. She does get better as the movie goes along though. Parts 2 and 3 will have a larger budget if John Aglialoro finds a partner.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones