• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Back up ROM to internal memory. Yeah... I'm dumb

btgoss

Lurker
Jan 14, 2014
I have a Huawei Premia 4g.
I rooted and installed CWM onto the phone.
I downloaded the Stock 77 ROM.
The instructions seemed very clear, but I screwed them up anyway and backed up my OEM stock ROM to the internal memory. Twice. Failing both times. Then I realized my mistake and backed up to the SD card.
Everything seemed to work fine, but I have NO internal memory left.
I have tried to use file explorers to see if I extra crap on the internal memory, but I don't know what I am doing.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Could there be crap in the internal memory? How much free space should I have after installing a custom ROM?
If I have screwed up what is the easiest way to get back to a "normal" amount of space.

Lots of questions for a noob.

Thanks.

BT

I have a Huawei Premia 4g.
I rooted and installed CWM onto the phone.
I downloaded the Stock 77 ROM.
The instructions seemed very clear, but I screwed them up anyway and backed up my OEM stock ROM to the internal memory. Twice. Failing both times. Then I realized my mistake and backed up to the SD card.
Everything seemed to work fine, but I have NO internal memory left.
I have tried to use file explorers to see if I extra crap on the internal memory, but I don't know what I am doing.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Could there be crap in the internal memory? How much free space should I have after installing a custom ROM?
If I have screwed up what is the easiest way to get back to a "normal" amount of space.

Lots of questions for a noob.

Thanks.

BT

In cwm there should be an option to delete backups, select that and select internal and delete the two semi backups that are on there if there are any.

Reactions: btgoss
Upvote 0
The correct path from root (first page when you open a file explorer) is:

mnt/ sdCard*(external!)/ clockworkmod

Make sure you're in the internal sdCard and not external sdCard! After opening /mnt folder you may see sdCard and sdCard2, or sdCard0 and sdCard1. If you are unsure which is which, go into storage settings and unmount the external sdCard. Go back to file explorer, open /mnt folder. One sdCard folder will now be empty. Next step....

Find the 'clockworkmod' folder. Highlight it, and delete it. Done. Don't forget to remount external sdCard afterwards!

Reactions: btgoss
Upvote 0
The abortive backup to int men is exactly what I did as well with the same results. Try this if you can't find the backups.in the normal locaton I tracked mine down to...root/data/share/clockworkmod. Seems to be the actual storage location sym linked to the sdcard. I've a bunch of leftovers in there seems that the symlinks break once in a while and stuff becomes unreachable by normal methods. I love root explorer by speed software. There are phony ones so be careful. In the play store the free one is avail. But less capable. I prefer it because it will show used and remaining apace for each logical partition you are in. Now you can see what's Really going on. It also displays symlinked folders actual storage space, other apps show you the spac you are LOOKING at not the actual space the symlink points to. For instance. I use an app directory bind. I use it to bind the internal sdcards download directory to an identically named directory on my EXTSDCard (sdcard2 here). When I browse to the linked directory on the into card root explorer shows the space available on the linked card. Is. I see used and available space as 12.xx used and 17.xx avail. The specs from the ext card. Just so you know Dir bind is also available on lucky patcher I don't use it because it delays mounting and a bunch of stuff doesn't go right. I prefer giving this job to a dedicated app.
Oh well that's all folks!
Ben

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones