• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backing up SMS

TIMONLINE

Lurker
May 20, 2009
The display on my HTC Desire HD has recently stopped working (probably the backlight) such that I have to return it for repair. However I wanted to backup my SMS messages first but have so far been unable to find a way of doing it bearing in mind the fact that I can't really see anything on my phone's display. Is there anything I can do from my PC?

If you had enabled USB debugging in settings->Applications->Development
then you would be able to connect to the device using my phone explorer software.

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

The PC would need to have had HTC Sync installed so that it has the drivers. The phone connects in charge mode. you can control the phone via the application. The application needs a "client" application installed on the phone either via the internet (if there is a connection), or it can be installed by the program on the PC I believe. If the internet is on on the phone you can install remotely via google play when logged into your google account.

The key here is whether USB debugging is on though, as this uses ADB to connect to the phone. Without it there is little chance of retrieving the messages unless they are on the SIM as oppose to the phone itself.

I had a similar issue a few months ago and the Tech team went out of their way and changed the screen for me and didn't reset the phone so I was able to retain my data. I had accidentally disabled debugging after previously having it enabled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones