• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I guess I've played MMO's for too long. I expect pretty much nothing but negativity when I come to a forum. You learn to identify people who wouldn't be happy if their phone worked perfectly and the manufacturer handed out free BJ's with every purchase.

Just ignore the negative nancy's and look for a topic that has an serious point. Yes, the GPS has an issue. It's supposed to be fixed this month. The two latest phones in the Galaxy S line have functioning GPS's. That leads me to believe that Samsung will get us sorted out.

Just relax and enjoy your phone. I love my phone now and I believe that it'll only get better. The fast expanding Market, the GPS fix, and Froyo are on the horizon. Not only that, but when the dev community starts working even more magic on the Captivate amazing things will happen.

Upvote 0
And it's not just phones, just about every product imaginable has a forum full of people complaining, from tupperware to leer jets. Have you ever been to a car forum?

idk i used to belogn to mustangforums.com and northeastmusclecarclub and there was more positivity and mod walk throughs than complaint mostly because people are doing the work themselves

Upvote 0
Normally when you are happy with your phone, you go about your everyday lives and that's that. When you have issues, you immediately put them here so people can help you. That's why it's all problems. Tell him to go to an iPhone forum and see how many problems he finds there. I'm guessing a 1000 at least since he found 100 here.

Upvote 0
well i am not one that will forgive gps probs...i gave up my sony lemon phone to wait a few weeks for a captivate and i.....
A. moved to a completely unknown province and city and absolutely need a working accurate gps to get to unknown places.
B. i play golf and want to download and use a golf gps program....i need accuracy to a few yards...not 30 meters...if it tells me i am across the street on gps..that will get me
A. to miss the wrong turn on a highway as i pass it before i realize the strength is off..
B. will cause my ball to land in water not because of a bad golf shot..but because the gps is off by too much yardage to make an acceptable gps

i hope it is fixed by time i get my unit..or hopefully i get one of the new batches...i greatly look forward to this phone otherwise.

Upvote 0
idk i used to belogn to mustangforums.com and northeastmusclecarclub and there was more positivity and mod walk throughs than complaint mostly because people are doing the work themselves

Try going to Edmunds or a similar auto review site and see what those forums are like. I think you will find those kinds of sites to contain more negative content than you would on a Mustang enthusiasts forum. Similarly, if you were to go to XDA forums and venture into the Android development section for the Captivate, you would find postings similar to those on your mustang forum, with people interested in tweaking, modding, and just generally improving the performance of their phone.

EDIT: How did some of you people survive in the days before every phone had GPS and turn-by-turn navigation? Geez.

Upvote 0
A. moved to a completely unknown province and city and absolutely need a working accurate gps to get to unknown places.

So lay down $150 and buy yourself a quality vehicle GPS. Not only will it come with a suction cup mount (extra for one for your Captivate), but it also will have offline maps built-in so it'll track you just fine without a data connection.

Even less if you get one used. I bet you could get a wonderful Magellan Roadmate for almost what it'd cost just to get a dash mount for your Captivate.

Upvote 0
Wow , i actually read all the posts in this thread(i'm obviously bored)

this my phone is better than your phone and blah blah blah is really immature and im willing to bet the majority of the people on AF are older then me(18 years of age)

Another thing that bothers me is the fact that when a customer/owner of a particular device complains, whines, cries, boo hoo's or whatever you want to call it about a problem they have with their device...A device they spent THEIR hard earned money on...the other owners are quick to judge and attack them and accuse them of flaming

Thats the biggest thing that annoys me about this forum. I've been here for like almost a year and it seems that the majority of the communities(i like the captivate community the most) are pretty cool...but their is a holier than thou attitude in other forums(EVO, i am talking to you)

If a owner makes a complaint...it's automatically user error or something non helpfl

There is a bunch of complaining here for a support site(GO FIGURE)
and there is four times as much "My phone does not have that issue, i have no idea what you are doing wrong for that to happen...."

and not enough to help

If there are a 100 threads complaining about the device, how about instead of fighting over whether an iphone is better and those who own it are sheep...posting something helpful or actually meaningful

I'm just sayin....

Reactions: BoulderGeek
Upvote 0

No, he's right. Those are tuner forums so maybe theyre different, but in looking at general forums for both the Chevy Colorado and Nissan Frontier (two trucks I've been considering purchase), both are filled with a lot of complaints. Actually pretty sure it's that way for any car. Because most of the people that seek out a car forum do so to ask about solutions to a problem theyre having with it.

Upvote 0
So lay down $150 and buy yourself a quality vehicle GPS. Not only will it come with a suction cup mount (extra for one for your Captivate), but it also will have offline maps built-in so it'll track you just fine without a data connection.

Even less if you get one used. I bet you could get a wonderful Magellan Roadmate for almost what it'd cost just to get a dash mount for your Captivate.
actually great idea...and guess where i will get the $150 for the magellan? by buying a plain cell phone with no features and saving the hundreds more i would have paid buying a captivate smart phone....why pay more for features that wont work:p:p:p

obviously i am tongue in cheek....i am sorry..i just returned a lemon sony x10 but before it went completely wonky the gps was accurate...so accurate it was down to just a few meters...there is no necessity above that...to make me need to buy an extra device.
not to mention mount something in my car that attracts thieves..whereas i can take my cell with me.
How bout using public transit and not knowing where exactly i am going and being able to use the captivate to get me there..i am sorry...i am not buying a mp3 player...or ipad...or gps....
....i want it all..i want it functioning...or i go elsewhere...many smart phones have fully functioning and accurate gps units.

Upvote 0
actually great idea...and guess where i will get the $150 for the magellan?

Re-read the last sentence in my previous post. You can get a used Magellan with windshield mount and preloaded maps for under $50. Just the windshield mount for the Captivate will cost you almost that much, and you'll still be without static maps and therefore utterly-dependent on a constant data connection for navigation. That'll bite you real quick.

not to mention mount something in my car that attracts thieves..whereas i can take my cell with me.
So do what I and everyone else does: pop out the GPS from the mount when you park and either hide it in the car, or take it with you.

many smart phones have fully functioning and accurate gps units.
Which smart phones come with a preloaded maps (like a real auto GPS unit does) so you aren't at the mercy of having a data connection at all times for it to function?

I'm not dismissing the usefulness of GPS on a cell phone. I myself have several dozen apps on my phone which are GPS-enabled... many of which are so dependent on GPS for their basic function that they are temporarily useless until the GPS is fixed on the Captivate (but I leave them installed for the time being, waiting it out). What I am saying is that people complain about the GPS not working on the Captivate as if they can't find their way out of a paper bag without it, and how they absolutely must have it for car navigation as their life depends on being able to have perfectly accurate road navigation at all times. Point being: if road GPS navigation is so critical to their lives that they feel the need to complain daily that their cell phone's GPS isn't perfect, then they made the first mistake by buying a cell phone to do the job in the first place. Anyone for whom GPS is so critical and yet they won't get something with preloaded maps is either clueless about GPS or just trolling. If GPS navigation is so important to you, buy a real car GPS for under $50. Otherwise, stick it out, wait for Samsung to release the fix, and meanwhile enjoy the 10,000 other features of your powerful multifunction handheld computing device, of which only one of them is GPS functionality (and far from its focus).

Upvote 0
Another thing that bothers me is the fact that when a customer/owner of a particular device complains, whines, cries, boo hoo's or whatever you want to call it about a problem they have with their device...A device they spent THEIR hard earned money on...the other owners are quick to judge and attack them and accuse them of flaming

An individual requesting assistance is in a different category from an individual who complains, whines, cries, etc. This forum is not intended to be a group therapy session or a rant venue, but rather a meeting place for an interchange of information. There's usually a direct relationship between the quality and tone of the original post and the replies received in return.

Reactions: chicknlil
Upvote 0
Re-read the last sentence in my previous post. You can get a used Magellan with windshield mount and preloaded maps for under $50.etc etc etc...edited...to make .....briefer...etc...etc

look, your info is good, i myself even gave you a thanks, as you give me a bit of info thrown back my way.
i am not the typical whiner on here to complain about nothing.
here are my facts:
i live in canada. i must sign a 36 mth contract to get a somewhat decent price. we have 1/10th the competition you do and as a result i am stuck with whatever i buy for three long years.
fact 2?
i just returned a sony x10 lemon and am being given less than a mth to pick a new phone..or i am stuck...so its not so easy to say "hey bud...dont like the scary proposition of a samsung phone that will not ever get a gps fix..then dont buy it"
well...i am stuck...somewhat...its either iphone 4....or captivate...or another sony..which i hated.
so i have to make a quick decision as it comes out (captivate) in a couple weeks or so.

fact 3. i just moved a couple thousand miles to a completely unknown province (our version of states) and in this unknown city..that has lots of windy streets and multiple short zigs and zags...i need to get around and i need a gps.

fact 4. the gps units in ipones...and even in my old lemon x10 work well. so if some companies...most companies..in the biz..can make a phone work with a gps..why is it a requirement to buy a stand alone gps?

fact 5. lets get real. carry gps with you everywhere you go and park? going downtown to pick up a few things...pop it out..what..carry it in my shorts pocket?....then pop it back in..oops...another stop..pop in pop out.
that never happens in reality.
my old neighbor in toronto did that pretty religiously and one day forgot and that day they broke in the night to his car stealing it.
maybe in a nice safe area...which i dont think exits..its not an issue..but come on...

i need to see a fix soon or risk getting this thing for the next 35 remaining mths...with a non working gps.
Its not so easy to just buy and return things..well not here..maybe you guys can buy things and just return them all no problem all the time...not here.
I hope a fix is announced and shown to work...before i have to commit to this new phone or i have to get the apple or another sony...not a pleasant alternative.

Upvote 0
An individual requesting assistance is in a different category from an individual who complains, whines, cries, etc. This forum is not intended to be a group therapy session or a rant venue, but rather a meeting place for an interchange of information. There's usually a direct relationship between the quality and tone of the original post and the replies received in return.

But a person who spent their money on this phone has the right to complain or whine or whatever

Some people "whine" to you but are voicing their frustrations

it might not be a "group therapy session"

but for many newbies, it can be a place to voice their frustrations

I dont know a lot about the captivate nor care enough about android like some others do but at the same time i am very flattered when people ask me for help and i am able to extend what limit knowledge i have in a kind way

It's just ashame that a site at was created to be a positive community is instead a site where people jump on people and people really let somebody piss them off because they hate your phone and talk junk about it

I just sit back and laugh now

Reactions: sharkhark
Upvote 0
Why in the world would you laugh?

You ever hear the expression you'll get a lot more bees with honey than you would with vinegar? Same holds true here. Posting "I'm having x issue with my phone, is anyone else having this issue, or able to offer suggestions?" is going to get a helluva lot better response than "this phone sucks coz I can't use foursquare. you guys are morons for keeping this phone!!111!". If you can't grasp that, I'm not sure what else to tell you.

We all are very.well.aware that our phones are not perfect.

Do we honestly need 20 million posts from people griping about the GPS? No. That doesn't stop those 20 million posts from being posted though...

Does ever.single.person who felt the need to return their phone need to post that they have, why they have, and then classify those who keep their phones as idiots? No. But they're still posted, seemingly until the person finally manages to irritate a moderator enough to be banned.

Honestly, as much as I enjoy this community and the vast majority people here I'm getting fed up with the people who only register to complain or mock, particularly since most of the time it gets dumped in the main forum, rather than the support subforum where it (probably) belongs. And I know full well that I'm not the only one.

I mean, if you really want the people who are actually helpful to walk away because they're sick and tired of the BS, by all means, continue the whining and crying. Just don't complain when there's no one left willing to answer support questions.

Upvote 0
Maybe apple shouldn't release phones where you need to hold them a certain way... seems like every phone has some flaws.
Precisely!

There is no perfect phone. Period. Everything is a compromise and given the technical complexity of todays smartphones, it's no wonder there are bugs that do not surface until the units are in the hands of the buyers.

The real problem is when a company like Apple knowingly releases something like the very buggy iPhone 4 (I know, I have one) that I find disgusting. As cash rich as Apple is, they should be shipping products that have been properly debugged and tested. Then ran through a comprehensive quality control check, not just pushed out the door into the sales channels.

Apple has very good intelligence on what the competition is up to. I believe they pushed the iPhone out the door too soon, just to beat the wave of Android phones that were just released.

Upvote 0
this thread seems to have gone off topic, please stay on track. I have quit WoW for now but i'll probably be leveling my mage in Cata

The OP included the sentence: "I wonder how many people found this forum before they considered buying a Captivate and the negative threads on this forum changed their mind and they went and bought an iPhone..."

I think that's why it evolved, to a degree, into discussing "types" of posts. Legitimate questions and thoughtful replies would likely find this forum devoid of negative threads. That said, continuing this discourse could prove to be a slippery slope that would eventually find the mods hitting the delete button while taking certain posters out to the woodshed. So...a word to the wise among us ;).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones