• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Barclays banking app.

That depends on why your current phone won't run it. The Play Store lists its minimum OS version as 4.0, so if that's the reason (i.e. your phone is still on 2.3 or earlier) then "anything you can buy new" is the answer. If it's something else then that depends on what this other requirement is.

My guess would be any current phone from a mainstream manufacturer will be fine, but I am only taking a guess there.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Current phone is Android 4.2.1
But is it from a mainstream manufacturer though? Mainstream being something like Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google Nexus, Huawei, ZTE, and something you might have bought from a carrier in the UK. Something like Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, etc.

Because a bank might be particular about what devices their app runs on and that they support. Also is your phone rooted, because certain banking apps might not work with a rooted device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something I did just notice in the OP, which I missed before, GSmart, which is a brand of Gigabyte, Taiwan. Don't think you can even buy those phones in the UK, so not mainstream in dear Blighty that's for sure.
http://gsmart.gigabytecm.com/en/pageinfo.php?id=45
Eastern Europe, Russia, Middle East and Asia.
Barclays is definitely a UK bank.

Gigabyte along makes like Lenovo, are well-known and mainstream in the UK for PCs, but not smartphones.

To the OP, get yourself a Samsung, Motorola or HTC or something, do not root it, do not buy anything online from China, and you should be banking all the way home with it, no problems... :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But is it from a mainstream manufacturer though? Mainstream being something like Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google Nexus, Huawei, ZTE, and something you might have bought from a carrier in the UK. Something like Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, etc.

Because a bank might be particular about what devices their app runs on and that they support. Also is your phone rooted, because certain banking apps might not work with a rooted device.
That's right, Barclasy app doesn't run. QUite annoying, rootcloak doesn't hide it either. HSBC and Natwest run on rooted devices though, just annoying I use barclays so much. The website however will run opn the rooted device.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all for all the replies and suggestions - much appreciated.
I bought the GSmart phone from the Ideal World shopping channel - based in Peterborough.
Strange thing - I bought a TABLET from I.W. and BARCLAYS worked well, but due to numerous faults with the TABLET, I returned it.
I then bought an Acer ICONIA tablet but BARCLAYS won't work on that either !!!!

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Thanks to all for all the replies and suggestions - much appreciated.
I bought the GSmart phone from the Ideal World shopping channel - based in Peterborough.
Strange thing - I bought a TABLET from I.W. and BARCLAYS worked well, but due to numerous faults with the TABLET, I returned it.
I then bought an Acer ICONIA tablet but BARCLAYS won't work on that either !!!!

Is that what I think it is? ...I've been out of the UK for six years now.
as-seen-on-tv-hypehair.jpg

"These products are not available in any stores!" ....such as O2, Vodafone, EE, 3, Carphone Warehouse, etc.

They're an importer and distributor of budget tech, household and lifestyle products, directly from here in China? Like Laltex, Binatone, Elftone, etc.

Sounds like Barclays are rather finnicky about what it runs on, like if it's not a Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google Nexus, Huawei, ZTE or Apple......sorry!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is that what I think it is? ...I've been out of the UK for six years now.
View attachment 92710
"These products are not available in any stores!" ....such as O2, Vodafone, EE, 3, Carphone Warehouse, etc.

They're an importer and distributor of budget tech, household and lifestyle products, directly from here in China? Like Laltex, Binatone, Elftone, etc.

Sounds like Barclays are rather finnicky about what it runs on, like if it's not a Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google Nexus, Huawei, ZTE or Apple......sorry!
Ideal world is @ ....... www.ideal world.TV
If I could be certain that BARCLAYS would work on Samsung , Apple etc. , I would buy one, but it's an expensive way of finding out !!

Upvote 0
Ideal world is @ ....... www.ideal world.TV
If I could be certain that BARCLAYS would work on Samsung , Apple etc. , I would buy one, but it's an expensive way of finding out !!

FYI, while Apple is expensive, there's many Samsungs that are not, like at around £100. The Gigabyte GSmart, while it's an OK phone, it's not rubbish, it's rather uncommon in the UK. It's only sold by a TV shopping channel, and not Vodafone or O2 or Tesco Mobile or Currys or whatever. Some banks tend to be paranoid about security and fraud prevention, and if you got a brand they never heard of, it's sorry we can't support it, like they won't support rooted devices either, e.g. Barclays.

FWIW Bank of China and Bank of Communications apps they'll run on anything, I think most of them do, they don't care.

EDIT:

Last time I was looking for information about Gigabyte, was when I was building a PC about 12 years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can anyone suggest a smartphone that will successfully use the BARCLAYS mobile banking app ?
My present phone ( GSmart ), successfully downloads both BARCLAYS banking and BARCLAYCARD apps, but neither will run.
Merged this post in with the existing thread on the topic - it makes it easier for folks to follow the conversation and discussion when it's all in one place. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones