• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Baseball 2023

We also had a bench clearing brawl. It was between the catcher and the batter. Not sure what happened, but the catcher seemed aggressive and i thought he should have been thrown out

boomerbrawl.jpg

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I'm sorry to say that the tenth inning sees the last batter on second base in the majors. I did grab this from the net about the length of game play with the new clock, shift, and increased base size rule changes. : There’s more action in less time, with the length of games through Sunday (236 overall) averaging 2 hours, 38 minutes – down 26 minutes from last year (3:04) and 32 from 2021 (3:10), which was the slowest season to date.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I'm a Baseball Purist on a lot of issues, but I relent on a lot of issues like I'm okay with instant replay, but I will never relent on the pitch clock or starting a player on 2nd base when extra innings happen. I can hear the squeaky wheel wanting the innings cut down to 5 innings next.

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I think the reasoning behind the changes was to speed up the game. There is a continuing trend of lost viewership. That's means less revenue and has their complete attention. It might not be due to the ever increasing length of the game but that was their first line of attack. Trying to compensate for the extra time for reviews, which will never be removed, required shaving time somewhere. So, eliminate the pitcher / batter tango by putting a time on the antics seemed a good place to start. I can't say I'm in love with the change but I don't miss the cat and mouse game that goes on at ever at bat.

As a huge fan of the game the boys play... I'd limit the amount of pitcher changes... or decrease the number of relievers.. or bull pin size. That takes a lot of game time and with less pitchers there would be more offense. They have already implemented rules limiting mound visits which I like.

There really isn't much more they can do to the game to speed it up if that's the reason for lost viewers. The reviews take a lot of time and they are boring for the viewer. Now that they have it, I can't see them taking it out of the game. They have limited teams to the number of reviews they can request but the process is too slow. Speed that up could shave a few minutes.

The bottom line to me, is the game too long, or is it just not as exciting to today's fans? I'm not totally convinced it's a time thing. We live in a lot faster world than we did 50 years ago. I do think it takes a baseball fan to be entertained by the game and the time it takes to watch it. I do think speeding it up some is okay. What the game really needs is more action to draw in new viewers. I can think of ways to make it more exciting... action packed... but not without completely changing the game we know.
The clock changed the game and I can live with it. They change it much more and baseball will no longer be baseball.

Upvote 0
so 2 of our starting lineup are out for at least a few weeks with Urias and 60 days with Dustin May. we are so thin in our pitching right now. thank god our bullpen has risen to the occasion......though with heavy use, they may tire out soon.

Bobby Miller pitched 4 great innings, not bad for the kid's first major league call up from the minors.

we need more pitching!!!!!!

thank god for our bats finally getting hot.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
The Royals gave up their one run lead in the top of the sixth by allowing the Nationals an eight run inning. EIGHT runs... are you kidding me!!! Teams should spot the Royals 10 runs so the games would be somewhat competitive.

....or let the Royals start a runner on 2nd base on the start of each inning... :LOL:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones