• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery - tell me what im doing wrong!

ok stupid question... but if you turn off 3g doesnt it just ruin the point of setting up sync for emails twitter etc , because until you turn it back on again you dont get no notifications ??.

i keep reading contradictory stuff about task killers, are they ok to use or not.and if it kills tasks will the sync reboot when needed etc

thanks

Upvote 0
If you don't know what Rosie is then you shouldn't use a auto-taskiller.

This kind of question is exactly why auto-killing is a bad idea.

Well it's been whitelisted along with all the other google/htc/android named tasks.

I'm not auto killing anything until someone offers up a list of stuff that shouldnt be killed.

I'm currently only killing apps like music, bluetooth, gallery, photoshop that seem to want to run all the time even when never asked to run!

Upvote 0
i get notifications still for my emails etc as it syncs using 2G instead. twitter, both email accounts and facebook are setup and sync fine
For notifications 2G is fine, when actively browsing you should use 3G.

You can get 2G/3G toggle widgets from the market for exact this reason.

Hold up, hold up.... stuff updates when 3g is off?
Wait.... is my little button for 3g AND 2g? or just 3g?

I'm confused :(

Upvote 0
Hold up, hold up.... stuff updates when 3g is off?
Wait.... is my little button for 3g AND 2g? or just 3g?

I'm confused :(

The mobile internet button turns off internet, 2G or 3G. When on, the phone will try and pick up 3G, if no 3G is available, then it will try to pick up the slower 2G. 3G uses more battery than 2G.

You can force the phone to only use 2G, and never use 3G. Saves battery, but the data transfer speed is slower. So when your sitting at your desk, and only care about facebook/twitter/email notifications, speed isnt really an issue so setting to 2G may save some battery.

Upvote 0
I'm currently only killing apps like music, bluetooth, gallery, photoshop that seem to want to run all the time even when never asked to run!

I think you are confusing running with background tasks. I have had my Desire over a week and I have killed 3, maybe 4 apps. my phone has no lag, battery is fine and my apps/phone probably functions better for it.

Upvote 0
I just got my Desire a couple days ago, and the battery life is truly shocking so far, at least for me, as I come from a Nokia E72 that happily made it through 4 or 5 days of heavy use.

I'm following all the tips in this thread, and might get a 2G/3G widget too. Hopefully the battery life will improve a bit over the next week. If not, I can probably live with it - it should still make it from morning till evening most days. This phone is such a joy to use, I can accept this as one of its few limitations.

Upvote 0
I just got my Desire a couple days ago, and the battery life is truly shocking so far, at least for me, as I come from a Nokia E72 that happily made it through 4 or 5 days of heavy use.

I'm following all the tips in this thread, and might get a 2G/3G widget too. Hopefully the battery life will improve a bit over the next week. If not, I can probably live with it - it should still make it from morning till evening most days. This phone is such a joy to use, I can accept this as one of its few limitations.
Remember the E72 didnt have a 3.7" touch screen.

Also what apps do you have seeking net access and how often are they set to refresh?

Upvote 0
Remember the E72 didnt have a 3.7" touch screen.

Also what apps do you have seeking net access and how often are they set to refresh?

Absolutely, I don't expect this phone to compete with the comparatively underpowered E72, but I do need to get used to it. :)

Just like the OP, I'm heavily restricting the phone's net access and keeping brightness to a minimum. I'll wait a few days and see, though, hopefully it will improve for me as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones