• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery - tell me what im doing wrong!

After looking around for a bit I *think* that this option basically stops your phone using 2G/3G or variants, and will just become a normal phone.

So basically you can make calls, texts, etc. but you can't use any "data" features. There is a widget you can add called "Mobile" which you can toggle on/off. Just realised I've been using this all along :p.

I would still like to know if Auto-Sync overides the manually set app updates or if it simply means that the app updates will update on their set timescale.

Actually I don't think it stops you from using mobile data. I have the option un-ticked and am using mobile data 24/7 :D

Not 100% sure, but I think that having this option ticked leaves your data connection open at all times, not just when it is required. Thanks to this, when opening a new data connection it will connect faster as the connection was already open. Having it un-ticked will make the initial connect last longer since it starts from scratch.

But again, I'm not 100% sure. Correct me if I'm wrong :p

Upvote 0
just thought i'd add a contribution regarding the battery. i charged my desire up sunday evening, left it on overnight and with plenty of fiddling, app downloading, web surfing, email checking, wifi and alarms the battery ran out about half hour ago, which i'm quite impressed with. charging it switched off from dead now so when its done a few times battery should be pretty good!

Upvote 0
Was in a building today where no network coverage for any network works.

The handset was charged, then removed fully charged with everything else turned off for a fair test.

It lost 6% every hour just hunting for a signal when set to auto, and the final hour I was there I set to GSM only and it was around 4% drop/hour.

So weak 3G signal has a huge bearing on battery drain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones