• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BEST! App for saving battery life!!

ther are various ways to try to do this through software. Juice Defender and Power Manager probably being the best for an un-rooted phone. SetCPU being the best all around.

But also you can look up a cheap replacement battery for your model phone (or even another model that may have a compatible battery). I got one for 12$ for my Nexus one and although it isnt ideal, having an extra battery is more or less an effortless solution. I dont even charge my phone anymore. I just switch the batteries out when I need to and it has never really even been a noticeable experience. I usually only have to change it at the end of the day and it takes all of 15 seconds for the automated second nature action to transpire.

meh... good enough for me

Upvote 0
So if I don't use 3G or the GPS, and only turn on WiFi when I need it, will I still benefit from something like Juice Defender?

I don't think so but it differs for everyone. Personally I do lower the brightness to 50% and don't use live wallpapers as Booklover mentioned. I also turn off wifi and mobile network when not using them. Doubt whether a lot of people do this though.

Upvote 0
Ultimate Juice + SetCPU is an amazing combination for my use.

My Wifi was always on since I use it at home and at our work sites so the regular Juice Defender (only sleeping 3G) was not as much of a benifit. Ultimate Juice shutting down wifi and also adding in night hours has been awesome.

If you manually turn everything on then you won't see much benefit, but at least you can automate things some. If you root then SetCPU can be used to underclock and save some battery that way.

Upvote 0
So if I don't use 3G or the GPS, and only turn on WiFi when I need it, will I still benefit from something like Juice Defender?

If you're manually toggling 3G on/off, then you don't really need Juice Defender for controlling your data connection.

If you ever get sick of sync'ing manually, and want to automate the sync'ing on a set schedule, then you should look into JD.

What might actually be good for you is Setting Profiles or Tasker. You can set location-based profiles to control phone behavior. For example, on mine, when I'm connected to my Home Wifi, my phone automatically deactivates pattern lock so I don't have to keep pattern-unlocking to play with my phone. I have another profile that after 1130pm, the phone goes into silent mode, BUT if my family calls me, then the ringer activates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones