• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best app for tracking kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our company has just such an app in beta right now. It will run silently on the phone and the settings will be able to be set from a web page. You will be able to track current location as well as history. It will give speed and direction as well.Other features include
1. Proximity Alert
Set a point on the map and a distance and get notified when they break the barrier.

2. Electric Fence
Set a boundary around a point and get notified when they go outside of it.

3. Texting Alerts
Set a speed and get notified if the phone sends a text while exceeding it.

This should be available for public use by April 15th 2011. Please visit our website and or send me an email if interested. walter@geosafetynet.com

Reactions: wintersg3
Upvote 0
wow. you want to use technology to spy on your kid??

This reminds me when I was younger and my dad and I communicated through email, on the SAME COMPUTER.

Talk to your kid man--you may not get a chance later in life. Be an adult, a father. Don't be a dictator who spies on his kid.

Who's to say he isn't.... I don't beleive anyone was looking for a lecture, but an app that may help in the case being an awesome dad isn't enough. I'm using family tracker. I can track we're my family is and they can track me. Known child offenders pop up on a map as well with relevent information to boot.

I agree that fathers need to be fathers, but I simply felt we all could do without your lecture on the matter. I'm sure he's a great father and didn't need you to suggest otherwise. I spend great time with my kids. Between boy scouts, girl scouts home work and sports... being a father means knowing we're my children are and knowing who there talking to as well. This app helps me go from a good father to a better father...

Would it make me a horible father for wanting to know who my children text if I needed.

With that, anyone know of how I can see what they're texting each other?

Upvote 0
Because it is illegal for an individual to put an app like that on a phone that is not under their primary control without the primary user's knowledge.

That is covered here: http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html

what exactly is "primary control" ?
if a parent pays the bill on a phone given to their kid, whether they use the kids phone at all means nothing,since the parent is actually the owner, not the kid. nothing in the kid name,cant see how that's illegal

furthermore its a lot of things a parent to do to their child that would be illegal if that person was not related to them

Upvote 0
I don't know about the other options suggested here, but LookOut Mobile Security is nice for two reasons:
1) LookOut can do location tracking, but its primary function is antivirus, so you have an excuse for demanding that this antivirus app be on his phone, without necessarily arousing suspicion that he's being tracked. (Turn of "notifications" and it's stealthy too.) I imagine that the other apps suggested here would be discoverable, of obvious intent, and easily deleted. Even if he couldn't delete one of the earlier suggested tracking apps, once he knew it was there, that would just cause him to turn off the phone or leave it someplace respectable (like hidden at the library).
2) From LookOut's website, you can track the phone on a map, even if he turns off GPS to avoid being tracked. Lookout allows you to turn on the GPS remotely. But make sure that you don't register LookOut with his email address or he will get an email notification that his location has been requested.

Lookout does provide some tracking history though it may not be as full featured as you wish. If I remember correctly, if you log onto their website and ping the phone, it will continue to list periodic update (with a map link) until you log-off the website. You have to click on each update link to get a map showing the location at that particular time stamp.

I trust my young-teen kids, and I never really track them, but I want the option to to be able to locate them (or their lost phones), just in case. Unlike the many people who gave unsolicited, critical parenting advice, I've never been in the OP's exact situation, so I'm just offering my advice on an app solution, and my prayers.

Reactions: MikeyCooperH
Upvote 0
WOW, Ive begun coming in here for useful information and gotten great feedback from most everyone. But some of the responses here blew me away. I ended up here by searching for exactly the same type of app. But the attack on the OP were way out of character from what Ive become accustomed to in this Forum. This isnt FlameWarz!

I am a Scoutmaster & have two great kids both now with Smart phones. The wife and I are most likely at the overprotective side of the parenting range.

However there have been time that one or the other has been out with someone else and either not heard their phone or in the case of school, scout, & church activities have had the ringer off.

In one particular case my 14yo son was in a carfull of other kids with a family friend and had simply forgotten to call us and tell us they were stopping over somewhere. Needless to say after about 2 hours Mom and I were getting very uptight.

So I can see a valid use for such an app. I noticed in the Android Market Life360 has an app that may well fit the bill for me. I was also concerned about the battery drainage issue as well. I plan to install it with my childrens knowledge and will report back how it works.

Upvote 0
Wintersg3, I've read pretty much all the comments on here (skipped a few of the harshly judgemental utter drivel ones) I would recommend instamapper for both live and past tracking. I've given my wife the account details because i've nothing to hide. Trust is a two way thing and i'm sure your kid knows that. Install it on your phone and give him the account details so he knows that your not round the corner checking on him?!... unless that could put you in danger from any of his dubious 'associates'

Otherwise install a security app like lookout where you can tack a phones current position (no past) as the 'locate' doesn't run in the foreground and it's a genuine reason for install incase the phone is stolen or lost...

All the best and keep your chin up

Upvote 0
blah blah blah blah blah

I'm a single parent of two teens with a very limited income and I cannot afford to move at this time. According to the National Sex Offender Registry within a 50 mile radius of my home lives roughly 100 child sex offenders.

Yes, I am one of those evil parents who check sites like this and have my children look at their pictures and read what they've done. Scare tactic? Hell yes. It takes 2 seconds to pull a van over and snatch a child into a van. I love my kids more than live itself and I would literally die inside if anything ever happened to either of them. I don't want to know where they are simply because I'm nosey. I want to know where they are because I love them, care for them, and want them to be safe.

I should be able to put a tracking app on their phones without someone judging why I'm doing it.

Upvote 0
I'm a single parent of two teens with a very limited income and I cannot afford to move at this time. According to the National Sex Offender Registry within a 50 mile radius of my home lives roughly 100 child sex offenders.

Yes, I am one of those evil parents who check sites like this and have my children look at their pictures and read what they've done. Scare tactic? Hell yes. It takes 2 seconds to pull a van over and snatch a child into a van. I love my kids more than live itself and I would literally die inside if anything ever happened to either of them. I don't want to know where they are simply because I'm nosey. I want to know where they are because I love them, care for them, and want them to be safe.

I should be able to put a tracking app on their phones without someone judging why I'm doing it.

Absolutely spot on

Upvote 0
I didn't exactly shut up, I went to lunch. Though I make every effort to read as much as possible, I do occasionally sign off this website and do other things. But, I'll welcome myself back to the thread.

I WAS your kid (the bad one), at exactly his age. My brother ended up being even worse than I ever was and went to prison. If you're a concerned parent, and your kid is doing the kind of stuff you say he is, tracking him ain't gonna do much. If he's doing the stuff I did at that age, I assure you, you don't WANT to know where he is. I'm not gonna pretend I know how to be a parent, but I damn well know how to be a f*cked up kid.

I'm sure parents think they can do things to keep their kids out of trouble--you can't--especially at that age. Tracking him won't do anything--except ROYALLY piss him off if he ever finds out. I'm sure there is nothing harder than watching your offspring screw up over and over, and I'm sorry you have to go through that, I am. It wasn't until much later that I was able to see what I put my folks through (nevermind even the rehab bills!).

As for the legal stuff, it'd be interesting to see what a lawyer would say. For instance, if you were able to see his current location, and knew what he was doing, and that was illegal--would you then be implicated to being an accessory to the crime? I have no idea, but the whole discussion is an interesting one.

BTW, why not just turn his phone off?? Make him get his own phone, start paying his bills, have something for a responsibility.

I really didn't mean for this thread to get so far off track, and I realize it's most likely my fault that it did, so I apologize. In the interest of getting this back on track, I welcome any discussion in PM in regards to the "off topic" stuff.

On Track: Google Latitude will work, but won't record where he's been, I believe that was one of the original requests.

Sounds like this fellow is not a father. If he were, he would be more understanding of why any parent would want an application to do this exact thing. There are a few applications out there that will do almost everything asked here. The only problem with these applications are that first, the phone must be on and second the GPS must be on as well. Personally I use Google Latitudinal

Upvote 0
Lookout Mobile Security FREE - Android app on AppBrain

give this a shot. it has 3 tools to it so he may not think twice.

me and my girlfriend just took her 14yo sons sprint phone to get flashed to kajeet. total parental control of the phone online. locate and who can call or be called.

him and his friend did the old "stay at each others house so we can stay out all night and get caught by the cops at midnight drinking stolen beer in the park "

hes lucky hes not mine

So, i really need to track my kids phone but im confused. Do i need to download lookout on HER phone or mine?

Upvote 0
I have no idea about an app but I wanted to say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with keep tabs on your kids. Even if they aren't known to get into trouble. As a matter of fact I'm pretty certain people would be quick to judge if they asked where your kids were and you had to reply with 'I don't know.'

Would I have hated something like this as a kid? Certainly. When my two and a half year older daughter gets older will I be keeping tabs on her? Certainly. It is responsible parenting to know where your kids are, who they are with and what they are doing. I grew up raised by a single grandmother that was unable to keep track of me. I hung with the wrong people doing bad things in places I really had no business being at. I dropped out of school, went to jail several times and ended up in rehab. This all over a decade ago and thankfully long in my past and my life has changed including going back to school. Now I'm not saying it was my grandmothers fault that I got into the stuff I did. It was my fault. But if I hadn't been living the lifestyle I had a child and young man I doubt things would have turned out like they did for me. Thankfully things can change if you want them to.

Just look at the things children can be exposed to in music, TV and various media. Glamorization of drugs, teen pregnancy, violence, etc.. Like I said, a responsible parent does what they can to minimize this stuff if they can't outright prevent it. Most of the people who are quick to criticize most likely do not have kids of their own.

To much personal information probably but I hope it gets a point across and I'm not trying to say this will happen to all kids but the potential is out there.

Upvote 0
Guess I'm late, but a recent post deleted anyway.

This thread is for parental control apps.

First rule of parenting, every parent knows it, don't tell others how to raise their kids and don't tell people how easy parenting is based on your childhood experiences.

If anyone violates this, please don't reply, just use the report button to the left of their post. We take a very dim view of that sort of post, let us sort them out.

Thank you. :)

Upvote 0
Ya well, when a phone costs 400 to replace I wanna know where to find it when its lost. As a bonus I knew where to find my kid when he needed a ride from a new friends house. Just because you can trust a kid does not mean they know how to give you adequate directions. The wonderful thing about this platform is you get great ideas from all kinds of people you would normally never meet, the down side is that same applies to ass hats with a sour opinion...

I still have Cerberus on my sons phone.. He is 20 and in college, he used the app to find his phone at a friends last week, 400$ saved once again !!!

Upvote 0
To the OP - I hope you have managed to get the advice you need and good luck with your situation. I am a parent and genuinly wish you luck.

I feel compelled to respond to this thread. I am disgusted by some of the comments made. The OP was asking for advice on Apps. That is what this forum is for.

I asked a question about kid friendly Android pads, either here or on a nexus forum, as my toddler likes playing with mine and I don't want him to break it and was also offered a load of unwanted "parenting" advice, which I found pretty offensive, but this takes the biscuit.

I am new to Android and I am not sure whether the Android community responds like this becuase of it's diversity or what, but I have never, ever seen responses like this on a tech based forum and I have spend the last 15 years on them. I would go so far as banning people if I was a mod here.

If someone asks for App advice - provide it or read another thread. If I was on a cooking forum and I asked what a good set of knives are I would not expect a load of abuse based on the assumption that I could possibly want to carry one around as a weapon.

Stick to the subject.

Good mind to avoid foums like this in future as they seem to be inhabited by too many people that I don't like spouting their drivel from the safety of their anonimity.

Apologies to all the decent people here that provide help, I think you know the posters I am talking about though.

Reactions: rtfelt
Upvote 0
Seriously? Thread was open up in June of 2010, actually answered a few posts after the OP and then it became a rant thread. enough folks. Thread has run its course.

threadclosed.gif

TS

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones