• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Language Translator for Nexus One

I am thinking about taking the Nexus One plunge but one thing I need would be a good language translator. I don't have an android phone yet so I can't search the app store. I was wondering what is the best translator app for the nexus one.

I was hoping to find an app where one could speak their native tongue into the mic and the phone could do voice to text, translate the text into English, then play the translated text over the speaker and do all this relatively quickly.

Does such a thing exist? Thanks in advance for any input.

I am thinking about taking the Nexus One plunge but one thing I need would be a good language translator. I don't have an android phone yet so I can't search the app store. I was wondering what is the best translator app for the nexus one.

I was hoping to find an app where one could speak their native tongue into the mic and the phone could do voice to text, translate the text into English, then play the translated text over the speaker and do all this relatively quickly.

Google Translate now does this on my Nexus, although the speech part only works for certain languages.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the response. Just curious, is Portuguese one of the languages it works for?

Interesting... It isn't working at the moment. It translates my "Are you a good singer?" into written Portuguese, but when I press the "speak" button, I get the message "speaking in Portuguese", but only silence from the speakers. Looks like a bug of some kind. This occurs even after a restart of the app...

It does work in another app: TTS Translate. However, the only Portuguese is European Portuguese. I'm not sure how genuine the accent is...

Upvote 0
Interesting... It isn't working at the moment. It translates my "Are you a good singer?" into written Portuguese, but when I press the "speak" button, I get the message "speaking in Portuguese", but only silence from the speakers. Looks like a bug of some kind. This occurs even after a restart of the app...

It does work in another app: TTS Translate. However, the only Portuguese is European Portuguese. I'm not sure how genuine the accent is...

Thanks

Upvote 0

You don't need to download a language pack or something do you?

Upvote 0
You don't need to download a language pack or something do you?

yes you need a language pack for the nexus to speak any language including english. when you install the application (if my memory serves me) it askes you to install a text-to-voice app and it even recommends a english speech app. I believe it could speak other language, but i couldnt find any other txt-to-speech application other than english on the market. I guess only time can tell us when they'll release more txt-to-speech apps. i tried to get it to speak mandarian, but it couldnt. but if any of you are familiar with mandarian language, google translate displays the pinyin. WHICH IS A+++++++++++++. I love this application.

And yes you can dictate the english translations with the speech recognition.

Upvote 0

Google Translate does exactly what you describe and it is installed on the phone out of the box. It supports a ridiculous number of languages. The big ones - English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese all have engines built for reading the translated text out loud ( in a female robot voice ). I was actually pretty stunned to find this incredibly useful application on my phone when I turned it on and started playing with it. I travel to Turkey pretty regularly and I have been slowly learning the language and I was delighted to find that I can speak simple sentences into my phone and it spits out the translated Turkish equivalent reasonably accurate in a second or two. The button to read the translated text is there for Turkish but it doesn't work. This is the case with other less "dominant" languages. It shows you the translated text but won't read it out loud but the service uses the cloud and it is expandable so with time, all of the other languages will get filled out.

Google plans to expand and refine this system. The algorithms they are using to do the translation will use context and they have ways of accounting for different accents and speech patterns as well. They're on the forefront of this kind of technology and they're aiming to bring it the masses - and you get it free on the N1.

Google leaps language barrier with translator phone - Times Online

Upvote 0

...Not a bug. Just not implemented yet. It does the same for a bunch of the (relatively) lesser used languages. Google has the hooks in place to plug in a speech transliteration/speech synthesizer algorithm but it's not in place yet. They're using the really popular languages like Spanish, English, Chinese, etc to build refine their systems and algorithms and at some point we'll see fledgling speech engines plugged in for Portuguese, Turkish, Polish, etc.

Upvote 0
Does the phone have to be online with wifi or 3G access in order to use the google translator? I'm going to rural areas of China and wonder if this is going to be at all useful for me.

Sadly, I think it does need a connection :(

There may be another one you could download out there somewhere, but it would probably be fairly limited -- not much more than a phrase dictionary, maybe.

Upvote 0
hi all bros,

I'm newbie to Android (recently just got 1 HTC Nexus One).
When i copied Chinese songs to SD card and on the phone it does not display Chinese but some garbage fonts. :(
I tried change language to Chinese but still the same garbage fonts display.
SW Build: Android 2.2

Any kind bros knows the problem? Thanks in advance.:)

Upvote 0
I am in Lijiang, China and use Google Translate with my Nexus One. I only have 2G and wireless internet. The problem is that the government here screws around with Google services and blocks some of them completely. So often Google Translate does not work on the Nexus One. Yet it always works with my laptop.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

We are developers of ScanDic Camera Translator, which is not the best translator app maybe, but probably one of the most special translator app.

In a few words, ScanDic allows you to take your android phone's camera, aim to an object, a paper, a panel, or anything in your real world, and instantly translate the words or sentences on the objects into the language you understand. ScanDic is able to recognize Chinese, English and 15 other European languages, including Spanish:D

e4b8bbe9a1b5.png
e8afade8a880e98089e68ba9.png
dic.png

Maybe not clear enough, there is a demo video on YouTube to view:
XMScan's Channel - YouTube

[add-on]
Chinese St. Valentine's day is coming...
We are happy to announce our promotion for
ScanDic - Camera Translator
Original Price $8.99
Promotion Price $1.99

You will save 7 bucks (equal to 77% reduction) for the same application.
Why 7, not 6 or 8? Why 77%?
Actually, there is a story of the number "7" with Chinese St. Valentine's day. We gonna post the answer soon...;)

Download Links:
https://market.android.com/details?id=hotcard.net (Lite Version, Chinese & English -> other languages)
https://market.android.com/details?id=hotcard.net.eu (Lite Version, English & 15 European languages -> other languages)
https://market.android.com/details?id=hotcard.net.regged (Paid Version)

Above all, thanks for considering ScanDic and we are looking forward to having your feedback!

Upvote 0
Seems funny to make liaison of 7 and your product promotion :p

As far as I know, QiXi Festival, The Night of Sevens! It is sometimes called Chinese Valentine's Day since late 1990.

Well, the story is that long long ago,a young cowherd named Niulang and a beautiful fairy named Zhinv. They fell in love and got married without the knowledge of the Queen of Heaven. How angry she was when getting the news! She created a wide river in the sky to separate the two lovers forever, thus forming the Miky Way between Altair and Vega.
But once a year all the magpies in the world would take pity on them and fly up into heaven to form a bridge over them in the QiXi Festival.

Now,QIXI Festival in China,you can see many lovers showing their love on the street.You also can see many discounts in Chinese stores!
All shall be well,jack shall have jill!:)

Am I guessing right the real meaning? :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones