• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best way to tag music?

just wondering if there was any easy way to tag an entire music library on a PC. all my tags are messed up and theres a lot of innacurate title, artist,album, art etc... just wondering if theres some software to make my life easier

Give MP3TAG a try. I had a mix of different naming schemes for all my files and found it i wanted them in track order, they had to start with the track number, so I mass renamed my entire music library using the track number+song title. Worked like a charm. The only downside is it kind of borks any iTunes playlists you have.

Upvote 0
Give MP3TAG a try. I had a mix of different naming schemes for all my files and found it i wanted them in track order, they had to start with the track number, so I mass renamed my entire music library using the track number+song title. Worked like a charm. The only downside is it kind of borks any iTunes playlists you have.

I use media monkey for the bulk of my tagging and mp3 tag for those odd ones that just don't sync right.

I used to use the now defunct id3-tagit, which was hands down the best one out there. But now I use MP3Tag as well.

I like Shawn's idea - I tried that once with Zune - bad results. Mass tagging usually screws the pooch at some point....

I'll give Media Monkey a shot - 400+ GB of music should not be too much o a challenge, should it? :p

Upvote 0
Seriously, it's a lot of work. No matter what app you use as an aid. I first used a renamer to rename all my files to some consistent format. Then importing a group at a time into mp3 tag and setting the variables to produce a tag off of my naming scheme. Then I looked through the files and edited by hand the few that fell short of being right. I likely spent a hour or so a few times a week for a month or so to knock out 500+ gig. I've never been sorry that I cleaned them up. They were worthless with the advent of mp3 players and even modern day pc/phone players.... they all read the metatag. ps.. I did not input or edit the genres... now wish I had

Upvote 0
I've been slowly and systematically ripping my CD collection over the last few months and deleting the mishmash of willynilly ripped files scattered around my pc. Anyway, this has been my approach:

1) Rip as wav and check quality using Exact Audio Copy.
2) Compress to flac using EAC.
3) Fix the tags using Mp3Tag.
4) Create an ogg copy using MediaMonkey.

I archive the flac files in case any thing happens to the cd, then use the ogg files for daily play from my phone. Yes, it's a lot of work, but a) I don't own that many cds and b) I like knowing that it's done right and I shouldn't have to do it again.

Upvote 0
I admit to being a lot more lazy. I rip my tunes with winamp. I sure well remember how back in the day it was a two step process. I think I used golden wav to rip and normalize and then Fronhaufer's encoder to compress. I am talking way back.. way way back actually lol. Long before there were any mp3 players. I wish I could remember the pc player I used... windoze didn't have a player. A lot has changed through the years.

Upvote 0
I've always used the convention of Artist-Album-Disk#-Track##-Title. Note the track number is two digit... 1 being 01. Some players will play eleven before it plays two without the leading zero. (just a thought) It really doesn't matter as long as they are all the same. Try doing some classical music sometime lol. That will blow your mind. composer and orchestra and conductor and work and movement and soloist and and and....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones