• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bloatware @ startup...

jkmailley

Mar 15, 2010
New Jersey
tinypic.com
I'm running 1.5 and sipping my tea waiting for the OTA. I have removed ATK and installed System Panel to see how my Eris is working.
However, is there something you can recommend to stop the Bloatware from running @ start-up (Footprints, Browser, Gmail Partner set-up). I heard about a software in the Moto forums called Startup Auditor. Is that a good thing? Or should I just wait and see with non-use they will disappear?

After i removed ATK from my phone because of this forum (thanks by the way) I never saw a problem with the start-up programs bogging me down. I thought at first they might but they really don't slow you down at all, at least thats what Ive seen so far. I juts leave them alone and my phone works snappy

Same here (about the never having a problem with programs slowing down the device), although I've never had atk or any other task killer/manager in there.

1.5 has always been quick, any slow downs seem to occur if I forget about getting rid of hundreds of messages or emails or cache junk from the browser, etc.

Upvote 0
I'm running 1.5 and sipping my tea waiting for the OTA. I have removed ATK and installed System Panel to see how my Eris is working.
However, is there something you can recommend to stop the Bloatware from running @ start-up (Footprints, Browser, Gmail Partner set-up). I heard about a software in the Moto forums called Startup Auditor. Is that a good thing? Or should I just wait and see with non-use they will disappear?

You should be able to see what status the apps are in when you open System Panel. There should be an Active section at the top and a Inactive or cached list at the bottom (going off memory here). It should also give you the memory amount and cpu time for each app. At the top you should also have little "gauges" that show the CPU, Memory and sd card memory maybe (don't remember, didn't find it important I guess). If your CPU is mostly empty (have to wait a second after opening the app) and your memory is above 25 Mb or so, then you should be good. I know that when I had it on my phone, for a day or so, I never used it to kill anything and everything ran fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones